Corbin Smuggler Fit Problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cometman

Reaction score
My used Corbin Smuggler does not quite fit properly on my Gen 1. The back end can be lifted up about 1.5 inches. Over bumps it will bounce up and down. Corbin would not give me any information since I did not buy it directly from them. Anyone know if I am missing an attach point or hardware? There is a plate riveted on the bottom which looks like it should wedge up against an existing cross bar but it does not come close. Any suggestions appreciated that does not include goats or sheep.

Thanks, Mark

Mark;

The Corbin Smuggler like the seat should anchor at a few spots. The rear should go into or on the piece of channel under the tail much like the saddle must sit in place there. Also there should be two brackets on the front that have two tits (or screw heads) on the bottom to seat on the saddle rail running cross the bike (just like the saddle does), and on top of that same tit facing up should be two pins or crown nuts that front riders saddle fits over. The third area is the this should all lock down when you press on the riders seat, just like normal.

If you're having problems getting it all to seat properly, you may need different size pins or crown nuts, I had to do this, and loosen the bolts / nuts there so the saddle can find its home so to speak. Also the tits (screw heads and or spacer washers) or nuts could be too long or large and lift up the seat not allowing it to latch.

Sounds complex but it's not, ya just have to futz with it.

Good luck.

BTW - I'm disappointed in Corbin's attitude just because you're not the original owner, that is very poor customer service. Just sayin' :angry2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark;

The Corbin Smuggler like the seat should anchor at a few spots. The rear should go into or on the piece of channel under the tail much like the saddle must sit in place there. Also there should be two brackets on the front that have two tits (or screw heads) on the bottom to seat on the saddle rail running cross the bike (just like the saddle does), and on top of that same tit facing up should be two pins or crown nuts that front riders saddle fits over. The third area is the this should all lock down when you press on the riders seat, just like normal.

If you're having problems getting it all to seat properly, you may need different size pins or crown nuts, I had to do this, and loosen the bolts / nuts there so the saddle can find its home so to speak. Also the tits (screw heads and or spacer washers) or nuts could be too long or large and lift up the seat not allowing it to latch.

Sounds complex but it's not, ya just have to futz with it.

Good luck.

BTW - I'm disappointed in Corbin's attitude just because you're not the original owner, that is very poor customer service. Just sayin' :angry2:
Thanks BluesMan. The pins are no problem, it is the back plate that does not have a mating piece to keep it from coming up in the back. The previous owner welded 2 steel pins onto the front and they fit very snug into the holes. The whole problem is the rear plate I figure. There is also a few nuts under the carpeting inside. I was wondering if they need to be tightened but that would most likely pop the rivets that hold the plate onto the Smuggler. Perhaps the previous owner messed with the plate? It is a simple design but is not working for me. Looks like velcro maybe the temp fix for awhile.

Mark

Give me a call (619-993-2199). I also have a gen1 smuggler and had to tweak a few of the attachments to get a snug fit. Maybe swing by to La Mesa this weekend and you can have a look see. Maybe we can get you sorted out.

Roy

Believe it or not, Corbin's customer service attitude has improved during this extended economic downturn, but it appears that there is still room for improvement.

I have two thoughts to share.

First, have you looked at the installation instructions which are on the Corbin web site? The web site is at https://www.corbin.com. Link through from Products to Yamaha to FJR1300 to Gen I Smuggler.

On the Gen I Smuggler page, pick the "Notes" option and you will find two pages of instructions, with pictures. (I tried to include a hyper link directly to the instructions, but when I tested it, it led to an error).

Second, if you are still having trouble after checking the instructions out, try the Ormand Beach showroom, 800-223-4332. Ask for Vincent in service. I'm pretty sure he is there. He seems knowledgeable and helpful.

Thanks Roy.

I will call you later this week. I got to thinking and I think I fingered it out, maybe. The pins and brackets are not stock and they were removed when I had it painted. What you said about tweaking the attachments set me in the right direction. Probably does not seat the darn thing back far enough to pick up the end of the tang hanging down.

Mark

ElToro, I thought I looked all over that site for install instructions. Thanks.

Well, the pic showed the problem I have. Since the previous owner welded the pins on there is no room for adjustment. No slots to move it back far enough to enable the plate in the back to meet the tang.

Thanks all for figuring it out.

ElToro, I thought I looked all over that site for install instructions. Thanks.

Well, the pic showed the problem I have. Since the previous owner welded the pins on there is no room for adjustment. No slots to move it back far enough to enable the plate in the back to meet the tang.

Thanks all for figuring it out.
Mark - Can you replace the brackets etc with others where you could adjust it like it's meant to be?
No clue why you'd weld tangs on it, you loose adjustability.

Good luck.

I had the same issue with mine and it turned out that the rivets used to hold the aft mount on were pulling apart. The bracket was tight until I tapped it with a hammer and it slid to the correct location. I drilled out the rivets and put some bolts in and it fits perfect.

I had the same issue with mine and it turned out that the rivets used to hold the aft mount on were pulling apart. The bracket was tight until I tapped it with a hammer and it slid to the correct location. I drilled out the rivets and put some bolts in and it fits perfect.
Thanks, I will check this out. Drilling and replacing with bolts sounds like a real good solution.