Corbin Smuggler Gen II - Help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndaub

Reaction score
I just received my brand new Smuggler from Corbin. I had heard various posts on fitment with various seats: Stock - Yes, Corbin - Yes, Sargent - Yes, Bill Mayer - Yes and No, Russell - ?. I have a Bill Mayer but I still shelled out for a brand new one hoping it would fit since I have the small wings. Trying to install it was initially a problem with the rider's seat intalled. I got the great idea to install it without the rider's seat on to be sure it fits. I cannot get it to latch!! Even without the rider's seat in the way! I was pushing so hard I was afraid of tipping the bike over. Does anyone have experience with how these fit or modifications if they are a little off? Certainly no use in trying to install it with the rider's seat on if it won't even fit with the riders seat off. The instructions only talk about installing the Corbin seats (which I don't have) and nothing regarding anything special for the Smuggler. If you guys have no tips, I guess I will have to call Corbin tech.

Also, a warning to the Cerulean Silver fans out there. The Corbin match is lacking in the amount of blue in the color. I would have been better taking that $375 dollar one and having Garauld paint it as far as match goes.

Mine fits fine and the match for my '06 (which is the best color anyway) is perfect.

Do you have anything under your seat? The Smuggler does occupy what was previously empty space under the seat - in my case I now have a rather large vacume canister for the cruise there and I remove it when I put the Smuggler on - it still works, but it doesn't hold the speed quite as accurately as it does with the canister in place.

Or, could the latch ring need adjusting? . . . . Perhaps the latch is already engaged and needs to be released by turning the key again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine fits fine and the match for my '06 (which is the best color anyway) is perfect.
Or, could the latch ring need adjusting? . . . . Perhaps the latch is already engaged and needs to be released by turning the key again.
You have Cobalt Blue which I believe is easier to match. I have Cerulean Silver which I have heard is hard to match.

Your suggestion of the latch ring led me to go to Corbin's website and they have a tech FAQ section which suggests using washers as shims to adust the latch ring. I plan to try that.

Check with Corbin. Make sure it's a genII. They have sent out a few grey genI's by mistake.
My fit & color is great on my genII blue FJR.
I did check versus the pictures on Corbin's site since they are very different and it is Gen II. It also has the correct model number engraved underneath.

Again, Cobalt Blue is the best color according to BramFrank - I guess because it is easy to match (or faster?).

We're dropping the Cobalt Blue line Johnny.. To hard to see if it's been properly cleaned. :blink: Plus, they just seemed to run slower :p

The cerulian silver unit seems to be the best so far...... :****:

:jester:

UPDATE: Putting one washer thickness under the latch allowed it to latch without the front seat on. Then, with the front seat on I was able to get it to fit even with the seat in the upper position. It requires a little finesse but will get easier with practice. Therefore, a Bill Mayer with the small wings is compatible with the Smuggler.

Regarding the color match: Several Cerulean Silver members stated that their Smugglers are perfect matches for Cerulean Silver. Therefore, it was BS when Corbin told me that mine did not match because they have trouble matching the Cerulean Silver since it is a "European" color. Essentially, mine is nearly the same as the normal silver side panels so I think they matched the wrong color. I have a proposal out to them to resolve but they have ignored my note for 2 days now.

Now, my latest problem with the Smuggler: Since it sits up so high, my big Axio backpack rubs on the Smuggler no matter how short I make the straps or how I sit (even trying uncomfortable, unsustainable positions). I am afraid that in the long run, the backpack will damage the paint on the Smuggler. I suppose I could attach some pad to the bottom of the backpack so that when it hits/rubs/rests on the Smuggler, it would not scratch it. I do not know what to use to serve as a pad without making the backpack look stupid.

Any advice??