Corbin thumbs up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordylad

Reaction score
I was bummed that my order for my new Corbin saddle was scheduled to arrive the day I left for a 400+ mile trip up the CA coast to Laguna Seca. As we planned an early morning departure, it would be too late to use my new seat.

Then, whaddya know, good ol' Ted Smith (FedEx) pulled up his running shorts and delivered it a day early so it was at home when I got in from work Thursday night. Now I had a dilemma, do I ride 400+ miles on an untested seat or stay with the standard Yami seat. What the heck, I'll be in pain with the Yami, I may as well be in pain with the Corbin.

So I installed the Corbin and rode to Laguna Seca and back, 800+ miles in a long weekend, and I must say the Corbin seat was great. Definitely more comfortable than stock. Harder that stock, but great support for the long run. I liked the lower seating position and it helped with the airflow of my CB +2 windshield. I also like how I could easily slide my butt over in the twisties as opposed to the stock seat with it's grippy surface.

I also really liked the color, the gray turns out to be a great match on my Black Cherry 07. At my daughter's suggestion, I went with the dark gray instead of the black, that's why she is the artist and I'm not. Looks great apart from I still have the stock rear seat while I'm waiting for my Smuggler. I wasn't going to do the smuggler, then the week I ordered my seat I got a bonus from work and decided to treat myself.

I know there've been numerous debates on this, but I just wanted to share my experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually glad to hear this. I had Corbin saddles on both of my Roadstars and was very pleased with them. I may just take a ride over to Corbin's location in Ormond and check them out. I suppose they might even be able to do some custom shaping since they're so close.

I also like how I could easily slide my butt over in the twisties as opposed to the stock seat with it's grippy surface.
I am old and slow but I like the thought of not sliding off the back of the bike. Comfort may be worth the risk though
There is no problem sliding off the back Rob, there's a lip to hold you in place, the front of the rear seat .

I have about 800 miles on my corbin and absoutly love it. I wish I thought of the grey color. Sounds awesome. The more you use it the better it will feel.

I did 4K miles on my Corbin over the last 5 days. The hardness of the seat never bothered me, but I started to developed a pretty good case of monkey butt. I just wonder if I would not have had this problem with another saddle. then again, I rode in temps that were usually in the high 80's or low 90's, and were occasionally in the 100's, so I think getting a case of monkey butt might be expected with any saddle. I still might try a Russell, but keep my Corbin until I decide one way or the other for sure.

I had my Corbin for for 7k miles, def an improvement over stock but i think it looks better then it feels. I ordered the smuggler as well, $800.00. I was a little set back by the price but from the day i dropped it on the bike it had become the most used farkle and I would be lost without it. If your riding 1 up most of the time I'm sure you'll love yours as well. Enjoy

Just to add this to those that don't like Corbin's, like I thought....

I was really bummed (pun intended) that I had a short 300+ mile ride on the Corbin one time, and my bum was sore! I put the stocker back on just for a ride to work to compare it to the Corbin again. As soon as I got home from work, with my helmet still on, I put the Corbin back on. Much better then stock but maybe wondering if there is something better out there for me.

I was really bummed (pun intended) that I had a short 300+ mile ride on the Corbin one time, and my bum was sore! I put the stocker back on just for a ride to work to compare it to the Corbin again. As soon as I got home from work, with my helmet still on, I put the Corbin back on. Much better then stock but maybe wondering if there is something better out there for me.

+1 Bluesman.

In fact, I can honestly say my butt was NOT sore after my 2 x 400+ mile days last weekend.

I am sure there are more comfy saddles out there, but for me overall, the Corbin is great. It's a good deal (front saddle only no heat in my case), comfy enough for me and easy to move/slide around.

What probably helped me no end (pun intended), was I followed a recommendation from this Forum and wore padded bicycle shorts.

No question, you are right. But as much better that the Corbin is over the stock seat , a custom made Russel or Mayer seat will be an order of magnitude better that the Corbin. It's just a matter of sucking it up and plunking down the cold cash.

I have found that it is not a good idea to buy a used Corbin that someone else broke in. It will fit you better if you break it in yourself.I bought a used one for my Goldwing hated it put a new one on and did a 6,000 mile trip loved it.

How much did the Corbin lower your seating position?
Jill
Close to an inch I would guess.

It's noticeably lower and I wasn’t sure if I would like that, but I do. You have to remove the seat adjustment bracket altogether, so there is no seat height adjustment once the Corbin is installed. I used the lower position on the standard seat anyway; I actually prefer the even lower position of the Corbin.

Sorry, still haven’t had a chance to get pictures.