corbin?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88' 600

Reaction score
I have a corbin seat that my father baught when he got his FJR i was wondering what you guys/ladies thought about the corbin seats? it seemed a little hard for a long trip is that true?

yes they are hard seats. you'll find that a plus when you go on a long ride. corbins also take about 1000 miles to get broke in.

I like my corbin, but i'm limited to corbins due to what other custom seat manufactures end out doing to seat heights. if seat height is a non issue, the russell day long seems to be everyones favorite. that wasnt an option for me, so the corbin worked out pretty nicely.

GreyGoose

Last edited by a moderator:
yes they are hard seats. you'll find that a plus when you go on a long ride. corbins also take about 1000 miles to get broke in. I like my corbin, but i'm limited to corbins due to what other custom seat manufactures end out doing to seat heights. if seat height is a non issue, the russell day long seems to be everyones favorite. that wasnt an option for me, so the corbin worked out pretty nicely.

GreyGoose
the corbin is lmost to tall for me but the stock is perfect what would happen with the russell? too high?

It is a hard/firm seat. I find that's exactly what I need, especially on the longer hauls. Not everyone has a Corbin backside. I do. IMO, since you've already got it, you might as well put some miles on it and find out if you have a Corbin butt. There are plenty of other good options if you don't.

-Paul

It is a hard/firm seat. I find that's exactly what I need, especially on the longer hauls. Not everyone has a Corbin backside. I do. IMO, since you've already got it, you might as well put some miles on it and find out if you have a Corbin butt. There are plenty of other good options if you don't.
-Paul
I have a corbin on my Kaw Versys, when I first got it, my impression was it was too hard. It is not, especially on long trips! I also have both front and rear corbin seats for my FJR. The front seat is too low for me and is nonadjustable for height (I'm 6'2"), but I like the firmness/comfort. The rear seat with back rest is a favorite with my daughter and wife.

thanks,

Bob

yes they are hard seats. you'll find that a plus when you go on a long ride. corbins also take about 1000 miles to get broke in. I like my corbin, but i'm limited to corbins due to what other custom seat manufactures end out doing to seat heights. if seat height is a non issue, the russell day long seems to be everyones favorite. that wasnt an option for me, so the corbin worked out pretty nicely.

GreyGoose
the corbin is lmost to tall for me but the stock is perfect what would happen with the russell? too high?
The Russel will add an additional 1.5 to 2.0 inches to the seat height due to the spring system they use.

GreyGoose

I have had a Corbin on my last two bikes and had good luck with them. Did a 1400 mile trip on one without problems. I have one for my FJR now and I'm not sure I like the riding position with it on...seems the seat sits me farther away from the bars and I'm having upper back pain I never with the stock seat. May get some risers to see if it helps.

...if you have a Corbin butt.
I have a riding buddy who's said the same thing: "If you have a Corbin butt, you're golden."

...seems the seat sits me farther away from the bars
That's a tendency -- on some bikes. Corbin makes some 'close' models that tend to offset that issue.

Corbins tend to add a few pounds to the GVW, too. But, they've been around for a long time and have served many riders well. Generally, IMO, harder/firmer support is preferred over softer -- in the long (very long) run. :rolleyes:

I've had 2 corbins, the first a gunfighter was real hard , but was great for all day . I've had a heated Dual Tour for the past 3year, the extra layer of foam to cover the heat coils makes a big difference in comfort .

I have a corbin seat that my father baught when he got his FJR i was wondering what you guys/ladies thought about the corbin seats? it seemed a little hard for a long trip is that true?
In 2008 I replaced the stock seat with a Corbin as I had cross country aspirations and the stock seat didn't feel up to the task. It is hard and I broke it in on the first trip of 8500 miles. The only complaint I would register is when it's hot I plan on getting a sheep skin cover which will also benefit in the cold. It was a definite plus over the stock seat and I didn't have to send in the seat base for modification.

Ed

Pretty much what everyone else said... I've put a lot of miles on mine, hated it the first day and a half of riding, by the end of the week it was broken in and was like old boots :) so it works... for me. I have a Shoei head, and a Corbin ass... if you don't have a Corbin ass, you'll probably find that you don't like it.

Surprised that the Corbin seat is higher than stock, as you're required to remove the height adjuster to install, which generally moves your feet an inch or so lower to the ground.

As others have stated, you've got it, might as well ride with it and form an opinion. If you find you don't like it, pretty sure you can find someone on here who will take it off your hands.

Griff

I've had several (4-5) Corbins over the years. Only 1 didn't work really well for me and that one was a definite improvement over the stock seat it replaced.

My butt must be something like 80% Corbin; 20% Other....

I just bought a Corbin from one of the other members, and took a 200 mile ride on it yesterday, and found it to be a marked improvement from the stock seat. And, the MAJOR benefit for me, was that it put me CLOSER to the ground, noticeably!

I switched to the Corbin with the back rest almost immediatley after buying my bike. Probably the time it took to order and recieve it was the most time I spent on the stock plank. It put me closer to the ground and stopped the sliding forward. It does take some time to break in I am noticing since I have more seat time solo I am seeing the difference between the Pilot and the Pillion and though I haven't done any serious LD (average about 2 to 3 hours at a clip) I don't notice the seat, which is to say the issues I had with the stocker have gone away. It also definatly looks better not that it is a major factor. :D

I have a Corbin on my '08 and I like it a lot. Yes, it is firm, but it is shaped just right. So the shape is most important, then the firmness ensures the shape does not change after many hours on the saddle.

Ron

I just ordered a Corbin for the front , will add the Smuggler later in the summer . Trying thier "carbon fiber" nylon inpregnated leather this time.