Cost for rear trunk kit?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1183

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I'm thinking of adding the factory Yamaha rear trunk for a little extra room, plus a small backrest for the lovely lady.

Who seems to have the best pricing for this?

Any alternatives? Givi?

Thanks in advance,

Josh in MN

Many people (myself included) have the Givi V46; it can be purchased with the plain black top or a color-matched one for the 05 FJR. Other options include a foam backrest and, as I recall, an interior light (which I did not purchase). University Motors in Fargo, ND (ask for Gary) has been a well regarded dealer for Givi in terms of both price & service. 701-235-6478

In terms of the Yamaha trunk, it's more $, (700. list as I recall) and according to others has a mounting set-up that the Givi beats (Givi mounts to a metal frame that you purchase with it, the Yamaha requires a hole to be drilled in the rear fender). Do a search on this forum, I'm sure you'll find all the answers you're looking for; price-wise a V-46 color matched, with a backrest was about 430.00 which incl. 20. shipping (deduct about 55. if you don't need the back rest, 52. if you don't want the color matched top).

Regards

I'm another very happy V46 user. I think the big issue is styling. The factory box makes me gag. The worst part of Givi is their instructions (oh yeah, that wimpy lighting kit was SO much fun to install...). If I had it to do over I'd pass on the lighting kit (only lights up the four small circles).

If you ride two up, you might also want to consider Toecutters adapter plate, which moves the Givi box back a couple inches to create more passenger room. I went with Garaulds custom rack with removable backrest instead. I like the versatility it allows.

You can check his thread out in the vendor section. A couple hundred bucks cheaper than the Givi, and three bolts takes it off, so you can still use the stock rack when you want.

I (and my wife) am a happy Givi V46 user (w/blue top plate and no backrest). Cost was $370 from Gary at University motors. This included the box/mount/color coord top plate. You have to remove the Yami hand hold bars or whatever it's called. Not a bad job. The box holds 2 x RF 1000 full face helmets, is water tight so far, is easy to remove/put on. Lorie is fine without the backrest - she has a fairly thick pad in her jacket. Only thing I'm not crazy about is that the Givi replacement mount paint quality is "ok." It's silver which looks ok on my blue 05, but the quality isn't great. I usually ride with the Givi and no sidebags.

I installed the color matched Givi V46 on my 04. It was definately a lot less expensive than the Yammie box and easily holds two full faced helmets. I installed it to the bike using the GIVI UNIVERSAL fitment plate and have had absolutely no problems so far after about 11,000 miles (18,000kms).

I also installed the "soft" backrest pad and had it thinned by an upholsterer and my wife finds it very comfortable. We did a number of trips this summer, the longest being two weeks and her only complaint was that there wasn't enough lumbar support. We easily remedied this by putting a few towels in with the bike cover bag and bungied it to the base of the box.

Some-say-someone-somewhere had problems using the Universal fitment plate, but all the folks I've communicated with who have gone this route haven't had any problems. Some of them have had the plate on for a couple of years and done some VERY HIGH mileages.

Quite a while back I posted this info on "The Other" board, (hope that this is legal here? I'm just trying to help out...): https://p083.ezboard.com/ffjr1300ownersasso...icID=2815.topic

Last edited by a moderator: