Cost for Valve Check-Adjustment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
A good discussion got started on another thread about dealer charges for valve check/adjustments. Clicky.

Rather than hijack Skooter's thread, I started this one instead.

So, if y'all would, please provide the following info:

1. Bike year, model?

2. Dealer name / city / state?

3. Hourly shop rate?

4. Number of hours to complete?

5. Valve check or valve adjustment?

6. Other work done that affected the cost? (Farkle wiring in the way, coolant flush, new plugs, etc?)

7. Hidden costs (oil disposal, contact cleaner, rag supply, etc)

8. Was service performed on time or was the pick up date delayed?

9. Satisfaction level of work performed (1=never again, 10=very happy)

TIA, will compile data if adequate number of response are generated.

1. Bike year, model? 2003 FJR1300

2. Dealer name / city / state? Roseville Yamaha Roseville, CA

3. Hourly shop rate? Dunno

4. Number of hours to complete? 5?

5. Valve check or valve adjustment? Inspection Only

6. Other work done that affected the cost? (Farkle wiring in the way, coolant flush, new plugs, etc?) N/A

7. Hidden costs (oil disposal, contact cleaner, rag supply, etc) Distilled Water & Water Wetter $15.95

8. Was service performed on time or was the pick up date delayed? Same day service. Rode it in, rode it out

9. Satisfaction level of work performed (1=never again, 10=very happy) 8. Tech didn't seem that familiar with the FJR.

You create too much work for me, Carver!

8. Was service performed on time or was the pick up date delayed? Same day service. Rode it in, rode it out
I haven't done my valve check yet, but all previous bikes required extensive engine cool down time before accomplishing this check. I've always done the check the next day after an overnight cooldown. I don't have my manual handy, so maybe the experts can answer this; Is it possible to correctly accomplish the valve clearance check in one day at a dealership?

I haven't done my valve check yet, but all previous bikes required extensive engine cool down time before accomplishing this check. I've always done the check the next day after an overnight cooldown. I don't have my manual handy, so maybe the experts can answer this; Is it possible to correctly accomplish the valve clearance check in one day at a dealership?
The Cycle Center likes you to drop the bike off the night before your scheduled day to allow the bike to cool off prior to working on it.

1. Bike year, model? 2003 FJR13002. Dealer name / city / state? Roseville Yamaha Roseville, CA

3. Hourly shop rate? Dunno

4. Number of hours to complete? 5?

5. Valve check or valve adjustment? Inspection Only

6. Other work done that affected the cost? (Farkle wiring in the way, coolant flush, new plugs, etc?) N/A

7. Hidden costs (oil disposal, contact cleaner, rag supply, etc) Distilled Water & Water Wetter $15.95

9. Satisfaction level of work performed (1=never again, 10=very happy) 8. Tech didn't seem that familiar with the FJR.

You create too much work for me, Carver!
I dunno. I also always thought valve adjustments should be done on a cool engine. I think your statement about the tech says it all. I would have it done again after leaving it overnight. If you trust them that is.

The FJR FSM says, "Valve clearance adjustment should be made on a cold engine, at room temperature." The shop manuals that I've had from other brands of motorcycles are more specific and typically give a range like 55° to 85°F. This temperature range is determined by the type of metals used, length and the associated rates of thermal expansion with temperature changes. The coefficient of thermal expansion for steel is 0.00000645in/in/deg. Some of the mechanical work that I’ve done has required that the readings were compensated for temperature.

If the mechanic delayed starting the job for 4-5 hours after drive-in, the gap at the shim probably won't have varied by more than 1/2 a shim size.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Bike year, model? 2005 ABS

2. Dealer name / city / state? Desert Valley Powersports, Prosser, WA

3. Hourly shop rate? ~70

4. Number of hours to complete? ~3.5

Total $240

5. Valve check or valve adjustment? Valve Check

6. Other work done that affected the cost? (Farkle wiring in the way, coolant flush, new plugs, etc?) n/a

7. Hidden costs (oil disposal, contact cleaner, rag supply, etc) n/a

8. Was service performed on time or was the pick up date delayed? yes

9. Satisfaction level of work performed (1=never again, 10=very happy) 9. They accidentally swapped t-bar bolt with tank securing bolt on reassembly...sloppy new guy.

1. Bike year, model? 2003 FZ1

2. Dealer name / city / state? He'd kill me if I told you

3. Hourly shop rate? Free-95 an hour

4. Number of hours to complete? 4.5 (actually, it was 5 weeks including wait time for parts and the answer to #6)

5. Valve check or valve adjustment? check and adjust

6. Other work done that affected the cost? AIS bypass, jet kit, slip on, repack swingarm bearings, repack steering head bearings, repack dogbones, check/ replace wheel bearings, full fork service (disassemble, clean, reassemble), fork seals, EXUP service, new clutch cable, carb balance, appearance enhancements...errr..I think that was all...

7. Hidden costs (oil disposal, contact cleaner, rag supply, etc) Valve shims, paper towels, propane for the heater, beer, weed

8. Was service performed on time or was the pick up date delayed? Ontime I guess

9. Satisfaction level of work performed (1=never again, 10=very happy) 13

(Hey, doing my own work is beyond gratifying and even more so once the bike is back together and fires right up! A learning experience that has no price.)

How about the miles at which the valve service was performed? 28,xxx miles (3 exhaust on the low side of spec)

Last edited by a moderator: