couple of questions re: mirrors and ignition switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrjammin

Reaction score
To 06 owners, do your mirrors fold all the way back? My mirrors (from when I picked up my 06 new from the dealer), don't fold all the way back(when storing the bike). They have 3 detented positions that allow to fold them back about 30 degrees back from driving detented position, and about 45 degrees forward of the driving detented position. It wasn't until I saw a 2008 model on a show room floor with the mirrors all the way back(to economize on floor space)that I realized that mine were different. It makes a lot more sense to have them fold all the way back.

My other question is regarding the ignition switch recall. Does anyone know if they replace the switch anti-tamper mounting screws with two of the same? The reason I ask is because I just installed my MCL riser plate. I used the (loaner)drill fixture to drill out the anti tamper screws to remove the switch. The whole process was quite painless. I just returned the drill & fixture and I'm totally pleased with the quality and effectiveness of the modification. I had the ignition switch recall procedure done during the summer of 09. The screws did not look like something that would be put on after a switch replacement. They looked original. Which means that my switch really didn't get replaced. If anyone has seen the recall procedure done, it would put my mind at ease to know that the hardware I had to remove (for the riser replacement) is post repair screws and the switch change actually got done.

And to all the FJR owners in the Hamilton/Toronto area, I found a place that sells bulk Shell Rotella "T" 15/40 oil for less than $12.00 for 4 litres. I don't want to start a new lubrication options thread, but I hear it's a recommended oil by some and far cheaper than oil the bike shops sell.

Cheers

If your ignition switch was replaced by a Yamaha dealer they might "have" to use OEM tamper proof screws when they do the work.

Any dealer can check in the Yamaha network computer to see if it is listed as done.

Check the VIN number stamped on the frame to see if there is a punch mark over the last numeral that indicates the recall was completed. Also, if you have the tank off, look for yellow tape around the harness near the connector. The recall kit provides for the anti-tampers screws to be replaced with another set.

Last edited by a moderator:
The IS recall kit includes new temper-proof screws, which if installed correctly will look (since they are) like the originals with the "head" snapped off.

Remember the new IS will have a yellow tape band on the wiring loom and an extra wire in the loom itself.

My 07 mirrors move the same amount as you describe, so it might be an 08 up feature or if it's not, it means some monkey at the dealer just $^#@& the mirrors, since moving the pre 08 mirrors beyond the detentes screws up the mechanism causing them to be loose/wobbly once in the normal position.

The IS recall kit includes new temper-proof screws, which if installed correctly will look (since they are) like the originals with the "head" snapped off.

Remember the new IS will have a yellow tape band on the wiring loom and an extra wire in the loom itself.

My 07 mirrors move the same amount as you describe, so it might be an 08 up feature or if it's not, it means some monkey at the dealer just $^#@& the mirrors, since moving the pre 08 mirrors beyond the detentes screws up the mechanism causing them to be loose/wobbly once in the normal position.
Thanks for the replies, they pretty much answer my questions.

BTW, what's the deal with mentioning MCL on this forum? I've read elsewhere that mentioning the name or reference to his product is taboo on the forum. I'm totally happy with my riser plate as well as his recommended procedure to install it. No need to remove the tank. It took all of 1.5 hours.

So the farkles have begun. 4 years after purchase, I finally installed the G2 throttle,Throttlemeister, MCL riser plate,Laminar Lip, Givi windshield. I tried the Laminar lip on the stock windshield and am very pleased, as I was with the Givi windshield. I'll probably switch between the stock (with laminar lip) and the Givi depending on the riding distances to be covered. I'll ride the way it is for a while before I decide if the Power Commander III is still required. Any thoughts on validating the PCIII. I'm looking for the ultimate smooth, free of jerkiness performance.

Anyway, thanks again.