Covers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnBryer

Reaction score
I got a new job where I've got to park outside. I'm in Charlotte, NC where the summers are smokin' hot.....

Would a cover during the day be a good thing for the bike? Is there one that fits over the bike with hard bags + Givi trunk on?

I got a new job where I've got to park outside. I'm in Charlotte, NC where the summers are smokin' hot.....
Would a cover during the day be a good thing for the bike? Is there one that fits over the bike with hard bags + Givi trunk on?
A Geza lycra cover is a an excellent choice. Go with sized large. I've seen multiple FJRs use them including ones with auxilliary fuel cells and top boxes.

Hey, John Bryer

I don't have a cover for my bike yet and, I agree, a Geza lycra cover is an excellent choice although kinda pricey.

I've got my eye on the covers from Nelson-Rigg

Nelson-Rigg

I'll probably get the half cover in XL. Others on this site have recommended N-R in XL to cover top box.

Maybe someone who actually has one can reply as well.

Hope this helps.

I got the Nelson-Rigg UV 2000 half cover last summer. The XL size fits the +4+2 windshield and luggage rack and comes down over the saddlebags and the stock exhaust ends. It's light weight and goes on and off the bike quickly with just two attachment points (elastic loops over the front foot pegs). It also folds up to such a compact unit, that I pack it on the bike wherever I go.

The only down side is that the instructions warn you to wait a bit before pulling the bottom of the cover over hot pipes (a compromise for its light weight material, I guess), so I usually just pull it down over the saddlebags.

Best of luck with your cover hunt, John!

To answer your question, yes it would be a good thing, definitely not a bad thing.

You can get relatively inexpensive bike covers with special siding down low for the hot exhaust pipes. They are rain proof and all that.

I would post a link, but you live in a different country.

Search and you will find.

Half covers are really popular at the workplace for protecting the top half from weather and the sun.

I've had the same Geza cover for several years. Used it first on a Concours now on the 05 FJR which has a Givi E-360 trunk & the stock FJR saddle bags. I also have a Rifle Touring (wider & taller than stock) Windshield. I like the Geza but have two comments: First, The cover is "water repellant" not "water proof", they suggest to ScotchGuard it. In a rain storm the bike will probably(almost surely) get wet through the cover. Second, I use a small (perhaps 6") bungie with a small plastic spring clamp on each end of the bungie under the front cowling to help hold it in place. I would like to also note that one big advantage of the Geza cover is that it comes with a small cloth sack for storage & carrying-it doesn't take much room (compared to storing other covers) and my bungie & spring clamps also fit in the sack. I suggest making sure you have a dry towel available as well. I would buy it again for touring use. If you have a place at work to store a truly waterproof cover & don't need to carry it with you that might be a better solution. Good luck no matter you do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the half cover from California Sport Touring. Packs pretty small. Used it on vacation this year. Worked great. You can get a cover for a top box, but it definitely won't fit over the side bags.

Mike

I bought a CLASSIC cover in extra large for around $45. It fits nicely on my 05 with a Givi V46. It doesn't take much room when rolled up in its bag. I later saw the same cover in an auto parts flyer for $29.99.

I've had the Nelson-Riggs Defender 2000 for about a year now. I have the stock w/s and no trunk. I think it's the XL size... I think you'd need the next size up for a larger w/s and trunk. Mine fits snug, has UV protection, ventilation panels, and heat proof lower panels so you don't have to wait for the cans to cool down.

It's outside the office w/ the cover on now. Let me know if you want me to confirm the cover size... I can do it in a few minutes.

@SouthernFJR

How does the N-R Defender 2000 XL pack? I'm looking at a 1/2 cover to save room in storage on the bike...don't want to give up an entire saddle bag just for a cover.

Thanx.

How does the N-R Defender 2000 XL pack? I'm looking at a 1/2 cover to save room in storage on the bike...don't want to give up an entire saddle bag just for a cover.
Brazos... it pretty much uses up an entire sidecase. You can sneak in a half-gallon of milk or a six-pack if you have to. I need to get a half-cover for traveling... but I use the 2k when at home and commuting.

I looked at the Geza and, while they are nice, they cost so much that I could buy 3 or 4 Tour King covers for the same price. I have had my current Tour King since I got the FJR in 10/02 and it's still fine. Times 4 that's a lot of years of coverage.

More details