Cracked Factory Trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bratcop

Reaction score
I bought an 05 with the trunk option already installed, factory yamaha. I noticed that the prev owner had dropped it and cracked the plastic on the corner of the bottom half :( . I am worried about water getting in and f-ing up the latch mechanism. Looking at the trunk it appears that the inside is idependent of the outside, thereby creating the void between the two pieces where the latch mechanism is. Has anyone seperated the two pieces? I would like to glue the crack closed from the inside to avoid unsightly repairs, but not sure it actually comes apart. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joel

my current mental solution is to use some 3M protective paint plastic adhesive sheet to make a "protective" patch on each corner of the box, so it looks normal. I was hoping to do this as a last resort, however. Still looking for feedback if anyone has any.

Perhaps try this Plastic Welder Kit and let us know how it works out! :)

41592.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
If you could post some detailed pics we could prolly advise a little better. I don't have a trunk so it is hard to say without seeing.

I have(at work) a Leister plastic welder and we just bought a Darader unit which feeds the rod thorugh the heated tip as is melts the recieving area i do mostly LLPDE stuff and a bit of HDPE,......Large storage tanks in our shellfish plant. The new Drader unit was about $3000 and does nice work and i will prolly get some abs rod so i have the ability to fix other stuff ;)

-Don

Devcon Plastic Weld. Less than $3 at Wally World. This stuff makes plastic. Fixed a trunk and created some tabs that were broken off of a 86 Venture. You'll need a clothespin for your nose though. The stuff is nasty smellin when mixed.

I know of alot of compounds that will fix it, like plastic weld (an epoxy) but they are unsightly on the outside. I was hoping someone knew how to dismantle the trunk, then I could get to the inside of the crack and gunk it up with something. I will try to post some pics.

I know of alot of compounds that will fix it, like plastic weld (an epoxy) but they are unsightly on the outside. I was hoping someone knew how to dismantle the trunk, then I could get to the inside of the crack and gunk it up with something. I will try to post some pics.
We had the same problem. We heat the trunk with heat gun (tried before with hot water) from a distance since two parts are glued together with some sort of plastic which melt on heat.

Afterwards we increase the strenght with metal sheet glued with epoxy to the bottom of the trunk.

It survived some 15k/km till now.