Cruise Control Comparison

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richouse

Reaction score
I have installed and used both the Rostra electronic and the CCS-100 cruises and I thought I would write comparison for you guys.

I found all of the instructions to install both on this forum. The Rostra was limited but there was some help out there. The CCS-100 had some very good instructions.

Installation: I have to say the CCS was easier to install. Probably because the instructions were better and this was my 3rd cruise to install. The Rostra has many more wires most of which you don't use. This makes the install more confusing. Getting the right dip switch setting was also easier on the CCS. I had to PM other members who installed the Rostra to see what their settings were and still had to trial and error it to get it to work. Settings that works for one person may not work for the next. The CCS worked the first time with the settings found here on the forum. I could NOT get the Rostra to work with the VSS signal from the bike. I know others have but I couldn't and I know of one member who couldn't either. We both had to use a magnet kit on the wheel to get a speed signal to the cruise. The Rostra doesn't have a setting to take a signal from the coil, not that I could find anyway. The CCS uses the signal from the coil very well.

Operation: I have to say the CCS-100 wins hands down. It is just so much smoother. The Rostra would surge up 4 to 5 mph fairly violently when set was pushed. Then settle down to the selected speed. The CCS, you just feel a little bump in the throttle to let you know it engaged, no change in speed. The Rostra would over correct on hills and get itself into a series of speeding up and slowing down hunting for the speed just getting worse and worse. I would have to hold the throttle and let it catch up and then it would stay steady, until the next hill.

I hope this helps someone make a decision on a cruise if they are looking for more info. I wish I had something like this before I bought the Rostra but then I wouldn't have known. I would suggest the CCS-100 for the FJR if you ask me...

For those considering the Rostra I can offer that the unit can be made to work quite well.

I opted for the Rostra due to space limitations on my AE and the fact I didn't want to mess with constructing a vacuum reservoir. I tapped into the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) wire from the ECU and did have a bit of trouble getting a smooth engagement. I then installed a VSS - pulse divider (about $30) between the rostra and the ECU, the divider brings the +80K pulses per mile signal down to a more usable 30K ppm or less. With that mod and the proper DIP switch settings the engagement is literally invisible, there is no indication at all the cruise is engaged until I take my hand off the throttle. It holds speed well in hilly sections. The only criticism I have is that the resume function is not terribly precise. It undershoots then overshoots slightly once before it finds the original set speed. If in traffic I get around this by simply resetting the desired speed manually. No biggie.

Just an FYI for those desiring electronic over vacuum actuation....

Last edited by a moderator:
For those considering the Rostra I can offer that the unit can be made to work quite well.

I opted for the Rostra due to space limitations on my AE and the fact I didn't want to mess with constructing a vacuum reservoir. I tapped into the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) wire from the ECU and did have a bit of trouble getting a smooth engagement. I then installed a VSS - pulse divider (about $30) between the rostra and the ECU, the divider brings the +80K pulses per mile signal down to a more usable 30K ppm or less. With that mod and the proper DIP switch settings the engagement is literally invisible, there is no indication at all the cruise is engaged until I take my hand off the throttle. It holds speed well in hilly sections. The only criticism I have is that the resume function is not terribly precise. It undershoots then overshoots slightly once before it finds the original set speed. If in traffic I get around this by simply resetting the desired speed manually. No biggie.

Just an FYI for those desiring electronic over vacuum actuation....
I like the idea of not using vacuum. How does the Rostra control the throttle?

Thanks,

Fred

Getting ready to place the order for ccs100. I am just going to get the canister from them also. I see they have keypad covers and added those also. Is there anything else I need for the install?

Thanks for any help.

Getting ready to place the order for ccs100. I am just going to get the canister from them also. I see they have keypad covers and added those also. Is there anything else I need for the install?

Thanks for any help.
The secret is to get rid of the keypad altogether. Have a look at this micro-switch setup. No fumbling with a small keypad, no need to take your eye off the road.

No, you have to waterproof it yourself.
How is that accomplished?
One way is to replace that garish control panel with a simple toggle switch. I give BrunDog credit for being the first to document it, but since then a handful of us have done it, too. Here's what it looks like, and yes, it's waterproof.

avcc1.jpg

I have the Rostra on an AE and had Zero install problems. No plus divider, just spliced wires and your done. Well the throttle part of course is the same. Just not vaccum stuff.

Or you can put BOTH switches in the switch housing. There's a rubber boot that I siliconed on over the rocker switch that isn't shown in this photo. Rocker is RESUME/ACCEL and SET/DECEL; toggle is ON/OFF. ON/OFF is handy for resuming manual control without annoying people with brake light flashes.

bike.jpg

I have the Rostra on an AE and had Zero install problems. No plus divider, just spliced wires and your done. Well the throttle part of course is the same. Just not vaccum stuff.
This is exactly what I was talking about in my first post in installation. Barry just spliced in and it worked, Gaircg had to get the pulse divider to get it to work. I didn't try the pulse divider but used the magnet kit to make it work. There are just a lot of variables with the Rostra, and I can promise it is not any smoother. If you are worried about the vacuum connection believe me it is easier than any of the wire connections. Just snip a vac line put in the T and run the hose. The hardest part of it is finding a place for the vac canister. I found an open spot right under the air intake, just zip tied it in there.

Just to throw in my $.02, I have the Audiovox CC, which was carefully installed with the help of my brother-in-law who owns a car audio install shop and has done a lot of cc's on cars. The install is really quite a project--something I'd personally never do on my own. That being said--we put that on there and mine has worked flawlessly from day 1. It's just as good as the cc in any of my cars--smooth, predictable. It's my favorite farkle. I use it just to get to where the "real" riding is, but it's very nice to just pace behind a car on the freeway and enjoy the ride. I've followed cars for miles that had their cruise on and the bike just held the same distance--so the thing just works great if you get it hooked up right.