Cruise control problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okmac

Reaction score
I ride a 07 FJR, Smitty installed my cruise shortly after I bought the bike. It has worked great up until now. When I turn it on the little light comes on indicating that it is on but as soon as I hit the set button the light goes out and the cruise will not engage.

Seeing as how I know zilch about electronics, I hope someone comes up with an easy fix.

Thanks

Mac

I had a similar issue which started as just fluky operation then degenerated as per yours. With the help of some electrically-talented friends in Calgary (Jeff and his other brother Jeff) it was determined that the "latching circuit" in my keypad had gone south. They were able to jumper across this and get me going, although I no longer can power off the CC when the ignition is on. I now have a new keypad to figure out how to weatherproof and install this winter.

PM FJRGuy and he can maybe get you back in business!

Last edited by a moderator:
First thing to do is check all the wiring connections to ensure they are secure and not corroded. Just follow every wire to splice or connection points. Check the 4-way plug that comes from the switch to the harness, as those pins can push out. Dielectric grease is your friend. Pry the cover off your switch and use contact cleaner on the contacts. I believe the manual has a test sequence for switch function with the LED.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about that, I have the Audiovox.

Mac

Well, I had precisely the same problem with my Audiovox. I kept putting off fixing it, because I got a throttle rocker, then I got a different seat and had to put the seat height adjustment thing back on...etc.

Anyway, it was suggested the the issue was likely a bad ground.

I never fixed it, but when I removed it completely (as my J&M cb went where I had put the cruise control buttons), I noticed that the ground wire, where I had connected it to the frame, was all corroded.