Cruise control stopped working

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

its just rain

Reaction score
I got home from the Red Lodge meetup yesterday (took the long way home) and thought I would report and ask for a little help concerning my cruise control.

On the way to Red Lodge out of the blue the cruise control suddenly stopped working. Since I was travelling at 70 mph there wasn't much I could do about it so turned it off and kept going. About a 1/2 an hour later turned it back on and it started working again. About a week later the same thing happened along with the same result.

When I turned for home and had about 1,400 miles to go it quit again but this time wouldn't come back on. At the next stop I looked at the front wheel to see if I could find a the sensor that I knew must be there. Found what I think is the sensor on the left side so wiggled it around a bit, got back on the bike and it started to work again! Over the next several days that happened two more times and each time I moved the wires around a little and it came back on.

So my questions is: has anyone else had this happen to their bike? If so what was your solution to fix it. I plan to try to take that sensor off to see if I can spot a problem but don't know how it comes off. Any help with that.

Thanks,

Garry

...my questions is: has anyone else had this happen to their bike?...
This has happened to others. Early on people were finding the cruise switch on the handlebar was the problem. A sticking brake pedal will cause the problem. In another current thread about a malfunctioning CC a good place to start would be here. The cruise control is a system, there is no one sensor.

Wiggling wires is bad, stop doing that. What ever you are wiggling wires on, if it isn't bad now it will be soon
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for responding I'll look at the thread. Just to define the problem further......When I push the bottom button the symbol lights up on the dash. However when I go to set it that won't work. Now on to the thread for further reading.

Thought I would give an update. I read the past thread and it was helpful. Took the easiest route first and Liberally lubricated the foot brake lever. Within the last two thousand miles it hasn't happened again!

Thanks