Cruiser Tires?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnBryer

Reaction score
I don't ride very hard. The only time I've scraped hard parts is when the bike fell over.

I'm curious, do cruiser tires last longer? Will they fit the FJR?

Time-wise only. Take them off a cruiser and put them on something that gets ridden and ???

Now a touring tire would probably get you some extra miles.

Cruiser tires is a pretty expansive term. Find one that's the same dimensions and of course they'll fit. I think you'll find 180/55 17 an unusual size that cruisers don't have.

A choice that some of the Iron Butt riders went with are Metzler ME880 "Marathon" tires in a slightly different dimension. 170/60 17 I think. These hunks of wood supposedly last a long time--like 10-15 thousand.

Dude, you spend well over 10 grand on a bike. Is wearing out a rear Avon or Bridgestone every 7-10 thousand miles a problem?

Dude, you spend well over 10 grand on a bike. Is wearing out a rear Avon or Bridgestone every 7-10 thousand miles a problem?
I was just curious. I've got 31K miles on my bike now and I'm sick of replacing tires. The main problem is I've got 3 bikes to keep tires on :assasin:

just be happy you don't have any road racing bikes.. $3000 for 10 sets of tires. Lasts about half a season if you are a faster racer. I have 6 bikes (FJR, Harley, 2 dirt bikes, and 2 road racing bikes). I spend way too much on tires but luckily I don't get to ride as much these days (too much travel)... :(

but at least I rack up some miles commuting when I am in town.

If it makes you feel any better, my accountant called me last week to challenge my QB Pro Auto Expense Account postings for last year... Now mind you, the expenses include, car payment, fuel, service costs, parts costs, and for half of the year, parts/farkle/service costs on a GL1800, VFR800i, Road King and for the last half of the year, just the FJR and Road King so call it 2.5 bikes. Insurance is not included in this figure and I had the title on all the bikes...

[SIZE=14pt]$13,802.45! [/SIZE]

Feel better?

I rode an ST1100 for years and ran Dunlop 205 Sportmax's. Damn things wore like iron. How about 17,000 miles? As soon as these Metzlers wear out, that is where I'm going.

Bananas!

get the ME880 "VR" that gives you a speed of 150 MPH about and it is Radial

for the rear get 170/60VR17, that tire is set up for a 5.5" wide rim which is what comes on the the FJR.

for the front get the 120/70VR17.

make sure you get the RADIAL................