Custom Garmin GPS Mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrshanta

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been enjoying the information on this forum for a few months now and have recently become a member. I purchased a new FJR a little over a month ago and have started to add some farkleage. The first for me was to mount my Garmin GPS on my new ride but didn't like any of the available mounts so, I made my own.

One of the things you might note is the hex bolt with the black center. I wanted to find a great looking socket head cap screw but had no luck locally for that thread pitch so I got this one from the junk bin and filled the center with black paint. It looks ok but I will upgrade it if I find a good one later. The bracket is sandblasted .250 AL and a piece of 45deg cut barrel stock. The base mount is attached with Garmin's permanent adhesive disk. Despite the idea of "sticking" the base on, the bracket and base have not moved and been incredibly stable for about 2000 miles so far! :yahoo:

I hope you find the photos useful. :)

FJRshanta

P1050733.jpg

P1050734.jpg

P1050735.jpg

P1050736.jpg

P1050737.jpg

P1050738.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Job being resourceful. Looks like you know what you are doing. I wish I could do such things. Anyways...welcome!

I had mine hooked up similar to that and I found that every time I hit a bump the GPS would rotate down in its mount. I found that that mount works great in a cage, but not so great on a bike.

I then went to a stem mount set-up.

I hope it works good for you.

FJRSHANTA,

Try McMaster Carr for finding the right screws for just about anything, they have a huge selection and their website is easy to use too:

LINK

-FJR Jon

I had mine hooked up similar to that and I found that every time I hit a bump the GPS would rotate down in its mount. I found that that mount works great in a cage, but not so great on a bike.I then went to a stem mount set-up.

I hope it works good for you.
Thank you for reminding me. I didn't add the fix for that in my post. On the back of the garmin is a screw that removes the top of the adjustment. Remove that screw and find the slider adjustment. I added 2 pieces of wire to block the adjustment mechinisim and works great!! Photos below.

P1050742.jpg

P1050743.jpg

P1050744.jpg

P1050745.jpg

FJRshanta

FJRSHANTA,

This is GREAT info!!! I can’t wait to not have my GPS popping up and down, the roads around my house are bumpy and it is always going down or up with the bumps.

I thought it was just something i was going to have to live with until I broke down and bought a different GPS...

Thank you for posting this! Can't wait to try it out! :)

-FJR Jon

Nice little mount you crafted. Coming up with and building your own solutions is always a cool thing.

That mount wouldn't work for me however for two reasons. Both the Garmin m/c mount and the Touratech mounts can lock the GPS to the bike, and they both have a place to store and protect the always hot power cord while the GPS is off the bike.

Both of those things I find necessary for my use.

Also, do you think that plastic automotive mount will stand up to the rigors of motorcycle use?

Do you get interference with the windshield with it that far forward of the grip? I've got mine mounted above that same mirror hole with a short RAM mount, putting it above the clutch reservoir. I have to remember to raise the windshield to do any parking-lot turns.

And I think Scooter's got a good point about the mounts. The motorcycle mounts not only lock the device to the bike, but they clamp the device top and bottom, so there's no rocking motion possible at the base. My 2610 was still mounted and functional after my crash a few weeks ago.

Nice little mount you crafted. Coming up with and building your own solutions is always a cool thing.
That mount wouldn't work for me however for two reasons. Both the Garmin m/c mount and the Touratech mounts can lock the GPS to the bike, and they both have a place to store and protect the always hot power cord while the GPS is off the bike.

Both of those things I find necessary for my use.

Also, do you think that plastic automotive mount will stand up to the rigors of motorcycle use?
Thanks Skoot,

I had considered those options for my mount and came to these conclusions;

1) I prefer to not leave the GPS mounted to the bike when I leave. I just tuck it away in my small tank bag and take it with me. I believe it is too tempting just sitting there even if it does lock.

2) I am using a hard mount cable from Garmin and it comes with a nice little cover that pops on when you take the GPS off the bike. :rolleyes:

FJRshanta

Do you get interference with the windshield with it that far forward of the grip? I've got mine mounted above that same mirror hole with a short RAM mount, putting it above the clutch reservoir. I have to remember to raise the windshield to do any parking-lot turns.
And I think Scooter's got a good point about the mounts. The motorcycle mounts not only lock the device to the bike, but they clamp the device top and bottom, so there's no rocking motion possible at the base. My 2610 was still mounted and functional after my crash a few weeks ago.
I'm not even sure exactly how far it is from the shield to the GPS but, far enough that I have never noticed it with the screen up or down.

FJRshanta

Latest posts