Custom luggage rack question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrsochs

Reaction score
Hey Pilots,

Long time no post. Garagedoor has been broken for weeks, bike locked inside. Broke her free today and took first ride in awhile. Ahhhhhhhhh.....

OK. to the question. I'm gonna be doing a ride Indiana to Georgia and need to do some cartage since I will stay for awhile. I'm curous abour DIY luggage racks. Whats the largest whackiest rack that has been safely toured on the FJR. Im sure their are links but my searches havent revealed much more than custom racks that eventually support Givi cases. Im interesed in locking down a musical instrument. so between custom top box racks, extra fuel tnks and so, I'm sure something similar has been done. I'd appreciate any advice or links.

I have a machining friend who is willing to build the rack for me. I'm gathering data for now. Thanks.

nate

Garauld rack or Premier Cycle Accessories - both offer over size (compared to OEM) tie down surface. Another option would be to secure the sax to the passenger seat (if you're traveling solo).

Garauld rack or Premier Cycle Accessories - both offer over size (compared to OEM) tie down surface. Another option would be to secure the sax to the passenger seat (if you're traveling solo).
I'd do this: normal trunk and bags for on-the-road storage, sax on the seat, UPS other stuff (clothing, etc) for extended stay to destination. But I always travel solo.

I'd do this: normal trunk and bags for on-the-road storage, sax on the seat, UPS other stuff (clothing, etc) for extended stay to destination. But I always travel solo.

I have the sergeant seat with back rest. I'm thinking I will remove the pylon seat and backrest and have some kind of rack there. I wonder how differently the bike will respond to big rigs on the interstate.

I got / found one from JCW. Price was right. I sanded it down, hit it with some satin black. Looks decent, holds lots of "stuff."