Custom pipes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnCaged

Reaction score
I was talking with the guy at the Muffler Shop today about building me a set of pipes. said he could do it for around $175.00, all I need is 2 straight pipes with glass packs and I'm good to go. I could use stainless or steel and get it chromed.

I used to have a KZ with a straight Kerker Pipe, I loved the way that thing sounded.

Doing this will be about the same.

I think it's good alliterative idea to spending 650 bucks on a set.

Anyone else do anything like this?

Uncaged

Hey good idea. I was thinking of modifying the stock cans. Maybe you could do the same. I agree, the money they want for muffler's is too much. Wishing you success and let me know how you make the muffler's if you or they do. Blessings, Painman. <>< :D

If you just want louder, why not just drill out the drip hole at the lowest point of the can. That would be a ton less trouble. And it's free!

The small negative peak performance impact will probably be about to same for both.

You could start small and just keep going up in drill bit size until you are pleased.

This is not my cup of tea, but I don't see why it would not do the same job.

An FJ-arley. :D

hu-hu---hu-hu....he said, cox...

Couple of Cherry Bombs with the $5 bolt-on chrome tips would only run about $70 bucks. Should give that throaty sound your looking for. Wouldn't look bad on a silver one either, pretty much everything goes with that shiny primercoat. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to mess up the stock cans or I would drill em out.

If you ever took your cans off and took your bike out on some back road where you can really get on it, you would see the the gain is way more then a little bit, let me tell you it's the difference between night and day! don't take my word for it, just go do it and see for your self. BIG Difference! :D

Same thing when I added Flowmasters to my F150 it's not the same gain as a straight pipe but it's a gain, then I added a K&N air filter, MPG went up about 3 points get'in close to 19 MPG with the Triton 5.4 Gas.

throaty sound is exactly what I'm talking about, love the sound and the added performance. With leaving the stock cans alone I can still put em back on when I want to ride in the city! Most of my riding is out in the Boonie's! B)

To each his own!

Uncaged

You can really feel the horsepower gain?????? Dyno tests have shown 1-3 HP gain on a bike that produces 123-125 in stock trim. And you can "feel" this difference? I can "hear" the engine better with my Holeshots, but as for the feeling/sensing part, I dunno. :unsure:

Welp, you can believe your Dyno I believe my own eyes, without the can's I get to redline in half the time I do with the can's installed. The bike breathes like I do after using nasal spray in spring time :D

All I can say is take your cans off, take the bike out and open it up, take it up to redline, crap it gets there so fast the first time I did it I was at 11000 (maybe 10.5) before I know it, I thought I was gonna blow it.......so be careful.

I was well over 100mph in 3rd gear I had to back off, I ended up at 125 when I hit 4th, after I hit 5th and 140 I shut it down.(I was around 7000rpm+/-) Damn what a rush.

Why would you want to believe a computer over your own gut feeling anyway, you say the Dyno tells you what's better, who is the better judge you or a computer?

Just Do it!! :D

Uncaged

I can "hear" the engine better with my Holeshots, but as for the feeling/sensing part, I dunno. :unsure:
"....with my Holeshots ...." Uhmmmm, I did do it. But realistically, I did it for the sound, not for the supposed mega-horsepower gain. IMO, nothing sounds better than a multi cylinder engine with pipes.

Why would you want to believe a computer over your own gut feeling anyway, you say the Dyno tells you what's better, who is the better judge you or a computer?
Because I know that what I felt was just more sound. The numbers showed me what peak power was there. Otherwise whodaknown?

https://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/maint/dyno/dyno.html

I did it. The results (for real world use) were minimal beyond sound. I don't even use my "peak power" map anymore since those ranges don't happen on public roads. I use Wally's "smoothness map" so that the across-the-board throttle response is improved.

If I were into thrashing it within an inch of its life, I'd swap in the custom "peak power" map as needed. After all, those 3 HP cost me $200.00 worth of dyno time! :haha:

The next thing we'll hear is: Don't trust the speedometer!

Honest officer, the speedometer indicated 100 mph, but it only "felt" like 60 :dribble: . How was I to know? Those dials and gauges aren't trustworthy, y'know :rolleyes: . I always drive by how it feels, isn't that good enough? :haha:

We humans are subject to being fooled by our senses...dynos are not. Ever been to the GM world of motion at Epcot center? I don't know if it's still there, but they used to have this little tram type thing that took you through all kinds of different displays. At one point, you'd go through a tunnel that had stars projected on the ceiling. All of a sudden, the stars would start passing you more quickly, the cars started shaking and the wind was rushing through your hair...you thought the damn little train was going 100 mph! Then as you started getting closer to the end of the tunnel and could see the exit (as a point of reference), you realized you were still only moving about 2 mph. It was all an illusion.

Wanna prove your point? Show us dyno slips or dragrace time slips...they don't get fooled so easily. "feels alot faster" don't mean squat. :agent:

I kind of like the results Bounce got with the test he did. Just moderate increase in sound. I'm not in the know about these types of mufflers and what can be done with them. Just thinking about later when the 06 gets here what might be done to bring the mellow sound of the FJR out a little more. I've listened to loud for too long on my present bike and I want to hear some different examples of aftermarket cans and some ideas from some in the know. Might have to wait until WFO in Reno. PM. <>< :blink:

UnCaged, on a bike I had some years ago, I did what you considering. It seems that everything made specifically for a motorcycle costs mega-bucks. Anyone remember the 1983 GL650 Silverwing? It had a transverse-mounted V-twin, dual carbs, shaft drive, air suspension front and rear, etc. Actually, it looked like Honda was trying to copy a MotoGuzzi. The bikes were much more popular in Europe than they ever were here. It was a sweet bike, though.

Anyway, when I got her the mufflers were trash. I didn't like the prices of the new stuff, so I replaced them with two 2-ft. chrome extensions. No glass-packs, just straight pipes. And instead of buying a half-dozen or so jets for the carbs, I placed a small washer under the needle. (I know, I got extremely lucky on that one.) SWEET! The bike ran great, sounded even better! It was not too loud, but had a very nice throaty growl.

The only thing I don't know is the effects of doing this on a bike with FI instead of carbs. Some of the more technically astute will have to chime in on this.

littlered.jpg

Ditto. I was wondering the same thing Scab. Looks like a nice kit though. And I wonder what size inner tube the stock cans run? PM. <>< :huh:

.......Just thinking about later when the 06 gets here what might be done to bring the mellow sound of the FJR out a little more. I've listened to loud for too long on my present bike and I want to hear some different examples of aftermarket cans and some ideas from some in the know. Might have to wait until WFO in Reno. PM. <>< :blink:
Or, you could join us for the next NorCal get together. I have Holeshots, Bluestreek and Bikeeffects have LeoVince's. And, there are others. ;)

The kit from the Euro site is designed specifically for the countries on that side of the Atlantic who will not allow their citizens to add a slip-on. I have spoken with one of our Canadian brothers (FJR eh) who has done the modification (I first saw it at WFO-3 in Moscow, Idaho) and his opinion is that it isn't worth the time and money for the little (5db?) gain. It's designed to give a little more sound but retain the stock appearance so that the local revenuer agents in Europe can't tell. It involves cutting the end cap off the mufflers, boring our the center baffle (that removes one section of baffle) and replacing the endcap with the bolt on that is in the kit.

If you want the sound, buy slip-ons. D&Ds, Holeshots, Staintunes, Leo Vinces, whatever.

The Feej pipes are single wall construction. The feej injection mapping and sensors compensate-to a degree-for changes in exhaust flow. But the system is basically somewhat lean to begin with, for emission purposes and to create a more friendly converter environment. Any exhaust change works better when a PCIII is used, along with a dyno created map to take advantage of any flow increases, and minimize lean stumbles and surges-something the FJR already has in stock form. You may enjoy the sound change that would come with a homemade pipeset-up, but you won't necessarily like the engine you create in the process.