Custom seat by Mr Eds Moto?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettB

Reaction score
I think he just deals a lot more local then either the Meyers or Russell (I just can't bring myself to install the wings), but was thinking about getting one. He's only an hour or so away... Wondering if anyone on here has any experience with them...

All the reading I've done is leading me to Bill Meyer, or Don at Mr. Eds...

I think he just deals a lot more local then either the Meyers or Russell (I just can't bring myself to install the wings), but was thinking about getting one. He's only an hour or so away... Wondering if anyone on here has any experience with them...All the reading I've done is leading me to Bill Meyer, or Don at Mr. Eds...

I have talked to him on the phone,sounds like a very knowlegable guy, you have to have an appointment and spend the day there and he will make you a custom seat and will send you out on a test ride and will make any adjustments tou want,cost $350,but appointments are hard to come by, the only one I could get was in dec,so I never went,but with the bad enconomey he might not be as busy

I think he just deals a lot more local then either the Meyers or Russell (I just can't bring myself to install the wings), but was thinking about getting one. He's only an hour or so away... Wondering if anyone on here has any experience with them...All the reading I've done is leading me to Bill Meyer, or Don at Mr. Eds...

I have talked to him on the phone,sounds like a very knowlegable guy, you have to have an appointment and spend the day there and he will make you a custom seat and will send you out on a test ride and will make any adjustments tou want,cost $350,but appointments are hard to come by, the only one I could get was in dec,so I never went,but with the bad enconomey he might not be as busy
From their website - prices look to be about the same as most others. Rich's in Seattle slippe doff my own list because his proces are more expensive now than other brands which are better known... :( Love to support local, but not at my expense in this case.

Still, from Mr. Ed's site:

Custom Fitted Seats Order Form

Shipping is $40.00 in 48 states.

Price Vinyl Leather

Solo -Fitted Rider $450 $650

Dual - Fitted F & R $750 $950

Heater - Solo $175

Dual - F & R $295

Not sure where you are seeing the $350 price...

As I read custom and aftermarket threads I see prices all over the place. From current as of this post pricing on the various websites, the variance is mostly within $30, right about ~450 for solo seat with vinyl. So, for the $ I'd go for quality.

Reading on Rich's (Seattle, WA area) I'd disqualified him because he uses gel, which I think is inferior to current foam technologies. Don at Mr. Eds uses at least four different kinds of foam, on the stock seat pan.

Still waiting to hopefully hear from someone who has actually gotten a seat from Mr. Eds, or dealt with them at all. I did talk to Don on the phone, and yes, he sounds like a great guy, and very knowledgeable, and has been building custom seats for many years, and his words are, "I love what I do" - all the articles/posts I can find are very positive, but there aren't very many of them...

A couple of links for those who are curious:

Mr Eds main site - https://www.mredsmoto.com/

check out the gallery, and press links to see a couple of examples, but the most documented with pictures example is this one:

https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7198684

On prices, just to cut that issue out of any replies (current from websites as of the date on this post):

Mr. Eds - $450

Rich's - $425

Bill Meyer - $444

Rick Meyer - $419

Russell - $470 (FJR is an "S3") - its not on MY list because a) I don't want my seat higher, my 29" inseam has me on my toes already, B) from what I read, at ~180-185lbs, I won't get much benefit from the springs that make the Russells sit higher, c) I don't really like the look of the wings (I know, I know, you can't see them when you are sitting on the bike... but I have to park next to sport bikes all the time... :) )

I also left off the Corbin and Sargent saddles on purpose. For the money, which again isn't THAT much different, why would you not want to get a custom seat rather then an off the shelf one?

oh... and Don at Mr Eds says he usually runs booked two months in advanced, he does have some openings in June...

Thanks,

-Brett

Last edited by a moderator:
Brett, drop a PM to member Frogpirate (he doesn't hang out here much but the PM will get to him). He lives up here by me in Vancouver, and has had at least one seat done by Mr. Ed's. He's had good things to say about him.

Shortly after I bought my '06 I went up to his store and talked with him. He is a nice guy and told me quickly what he would do to the seat and where the deficiencies for me were in the design. Funny guy too. He said the first thing he does with a new bike is drive it onto the lawn and push it on it's side to get some minor scrapes -- that way it gets the angst over quickly and he can concentrate on riding rather than polishing it. I never got the seat though.

Hey Brett, if you are thinking about riding down to Albany to check this guy out, let me know. I would like to tag along. I am ready for a new seat and was considering a Rich's but this guy is closer. By looking at his web site I can't tell what he has in the way of coverings but it looks like he builds a quality seat.

Bill