Custom Seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duster19

Reaction score
Okay, I've been adding Farkles to my 04 since I purchased last year. The following list of things I have added and love.

1. CB Bailey +3h/+2w

2. Vista Cruise

3. Powerlets - total of 3 (one on front left and two by passenger peg)

4. PIAA 910's

5. Upgraded Stator

6. Heated gear (Tourmaster jacket and Gerbings G3 gloves)

7. Custom Seat???? (I think my choice is Russell) My questions are this...

Did you go with a day long for your wife's? Does she ride more because of the comfort? My wife hasn't been on my FJR but when we were younger she rode on the back of my FZR. I'm wanting her to go on some rides, but she hasn't yet.

I commute 25 minutes one way to work and haven't found my seat to be uncomfortable, but after a 1 hour ride I was starting to feel some soreness.

Does the Russell "wings" effect your ridding style? I'm not one to be super aggressive but like the stream line looks of the stock seat.

I have a 2 or 3 trips planned this summer (3 to 4 day rides). This will be about my normal ridding. I'd like to look into rides like 1099Utah ride.

So anyone who has gone through this decision, I'd appreciate all of your thoughts,

Dave

I don't ride with a pillion, so THAT part doesn't apply to me. BUT Bluestreek had his Russell built for Cindy, too. Others have had their custom saddles built including the pillion seat. Why not? Doesn't she deserve to be comfortable and enjoy the ride....maybe she'll ride more often.

I commute 25 minutes one way to work and haven't found my seat to be uncomfortable, but after a 1 hour ride I was starting to feel some soreness.
Yep! My OEM was a 2-hour seat before the soreness set in, 3-hours+ meant butt-burn, 4 hours was agony...

Do the Russell "wings" affect your riding style? I'm not one to be super aggressive but like the stream line looks of the stock seat.
Nope. Once the seat was broken in I learned to appreciate the support of the wings and would miss the "feel". When I'm "on my game" I still manage to get through the twisty roadways just like the rest of the group...sometimes I'm in front!
Yes, the OEM seat is streamlined, but I am far past form and very much interested in function. While I'm on the bike, I can't see the seat (nor can anyone else), I cover it at work and park it in the garage at home. I don't enter many "bike shows" so I don't care what anyone else thinks of how it looks....I'd rather ride.

I have a 2 or 3 trips planned this summer (3 to 4 day rides). This will be about my normal ridding. I'd like to look into rides like 1099Utah ride.
It looks to me like your decision is made....write the check!
While I'm no LD rider (600-650 miles-per-day is my limit, so far), I like to be able to ride the next day...and the next....and the next. With my old Connie and the OEM seat, I would ride 2-3 days, but I'd be sore for a few days until I recovered. Now I can ride day after day with no issues or regrets.

Last year attending WFO in Park City, it was 4 days to get there, 2 local rides (one of 400+ miles), and 4 days home (3400+ miles, lots of mountains and curved roadways) without any problems with my "hinder parts".

I have a Russell on my BMW 1150 RT and think it is great. I opted for leather on both seats.

One think you may want to consider is that the seat wings will interfere to some extent when putting your legs down at a stop. It isn't severe, but if you are , uhm, short-legged, it may be a bit uncomfortable while standing. My belief it is a small price to pay for the extended comfort while riding.

I don't ride with a pillion, so THAT part doesn't apply to me. BUT Bluestreek had his Russell built for Cindy, too. Others have had their custom saddles built including the pillion seat. Why not? Doesn't she deserve to be comfortable and enjoy the ride....maybe she'll ride more often.
Yep! My OEM was a 2-hour seat before the soreness set in, 3-hours+ meant butt-burn, 4 hours was agony...

Do the Russell "wings" affect your riding style? I'm not one to be super aggressive but like the stream line looks of the stock seat.
Nope. Once the seat was broken in I learned to appreciate the support of the wings and would miss the "feel". When I'm "on my game" I still manage to get through the twisty roadways just like the rest of the group...sometimes I'm in front!
Yes, the OEM seat is streamlined, but I am far past form and very much interested in function. While I'm on the bike, I can't see the seat (nor can anyone else), I cover it at work and park it in the garage at home. I don't enter many "bike shows" so I don't care what anyone else thinks of how it looks....I'd rather ride.

It looks to me like your decision is made....write the check!
While I'm no LD rider (600-650 miles-per-day is my limit, so far), I like to be able to ride the next day...and the next....and the next. With my old Connie and the OEM seat, I would ride 2-3 days, but I'd be sore for a few days until I recovered. Now I can ride day after day with no issues or regrets.

Last year attending WFO in Park City, it was 4 days to get there, 2 local rides (one of 400+ miles), and 4 days home (3400+ miles, lots of mountains and curved roadways) without any problems with my "hinder parts".

You make some really strong points. My only question now, is leather or vinyl? :)

You make some really strong points. My only question now, is leather or vinyl? :)
Whatever floats your boat. I opted for leather, but I don't mind using saddle soap on it 3 or 4 times a year nor carrying the rain cover.

I'd guess that most have vinyl covers and treat the seams with waterproofing. Just get a good pattern (diamonds or squares or???) so you get a pattern to displace your weight and allow some air circulation. The FJR they have on their webpage is (or was) Warchild's black seat with the diamond pattern.

Last edited by a moderator:
Head to Rich O'Connor in Seattle. He builts a fantastic FJR seat! I rode up from Portland and had mine done in leather; pebble grain seat, smooth leather sides. Stitching is 2-tone to match my bike. In in the AM, out in the PM with 3 "fittings" during the course of the day. That seat makes the bike!

Dave ~ I've been riding endurance rallies for seven years now. Five of those were on a stock BMW seat and the two on the FJR on a Cee Bailey's. Even though I have a good tolerance on seats, when I rode the Iron Butt Rally last year, I decided to pop for a used Russell. After just a couple of hours in the saddle I found myself wonder why I had waited so long to get a real endurance seat. Seriously, 10,000 miles in 11 days and to the best of my recollection (some of the rally is a bit hazy :) I had no butt pain at all and the saddle wasn't even build for me! The previous owner was two inches taller.

If you really want to ride distances and you want the Mrs. to go with you, do the deed. Leather was my preference.

Paul Peloquin

IBA #333

Monmouth Or

Seriously, 10,000 miles in 11 days and to the best of my recollection (some of the rally is a bit hazy :)
Hey, you rode that thing? I was there, but my memory is hazy too, but butt was comfortable. Did we run across each other?

Concur that a custom seat is the only way to ride long distances without going nuts. I happen to have Rick Mayer, but had him after three tries make it look for like a Russell than anything....and probably should have gone with them or Mike Mayer to begin with.

Can't go wrong with the Russell seat. The wings set back in the seat somewhat and I can't see them interfearing with putting your legs down but then I don't own one.

I made my own seat using the stock pan. And another member on the board is in the process of doing the same and may be posting up the proceedure soon.

Whatever selection you make, anything is better than the OEM seat IMO as MM2 mentioned. The problem with the stock seat is the foam. It is too soft and the wrong material. Sergent, Rick Meyer and Corbin are other good alternatives but the Corbin to me is way too hard IMO.

As far as leather vs vinyl, leather if it gets soaking wet is the worse thing that could possibly happen to it. And if not treated properlly and allowed to get wet will crack in no time. But leather has the feel and looks of no other material.

The vinyl used is marine grade and can be had in simulated leather, bull hide, exotics such as alligator, ostrich, snake, shark, etc. and looks very real and with hardly no maintenance.

Whatever selection you make let us know and good luck. PM. <>< :D

I did 2 SS1K's on the stock seat, boy oh boy did I stretch & squirm & stand & lean just to keep the tingles away. After that I bought the Russell, no problems now. Did 4k miles in 5 days in November, biggest problem was deciding where to stop for lunch & dinner... As far as the wings on the seat go, I've developed some technique that allows me to shift to one side when necessary, not too often though as I'm not really a speed racer type, I have more of a tendency to shift upper body first ('dip' a shoulder is what it's referred to I believe).

Russell has been the best farkle I bought for the bike.