custom windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redtail

Reaction score
After doing a Saddle Sore 1000, I realized I wanted to make a few changes to the bike.

I had already gone to wearing earplugs to help with the noise, but I needed to solve the buffeting that was killing my neck. I was also killing alot of bugs with my head and shoulders.

I read so much about Forum members buying shields and ending up with a rifle, that I started there.

The first one I bought was flawed, in that the mounting holes didn't line up right. Great customer service, and a replacement came quick.

After getting it mounted, I realized what people meant by the Pope Mobile effect! It is a big screen! After riding with it, I was blown away by the difference. No buffeting, quiet, amazing change! But it's a big screen!

So I made a deal to keep the first one as well, and found my happy place!

I started by cutting the holes, into slots, so I could get it mounted.

IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

Then I blue taped the whole thing, back and front, and used the stock shield as a pattern.

IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_0977.jpg

IMG_0978.jpg

Cut off the extra with a jigsaw, and sanded smooth, and smoother, and smoother! I didn't cut much off knowing I could always cut more later. I also only cut near my lines, and then sanded it tight to the line with my grinder.

IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

Now I have three sizes!

IMG_0983.jpg

The next issue was the new look with the tuning block.

IMG_0988.jpg

So I disabled the automatic shield return function (as per instructions found on this site!) Now I can leave the screen in a position that lines up with the bodywork. This also gives me a power source (engine on) to be used in the future!

I've been riding a couple months with this simple mod and love it!

I can't believe how much this little trimming changed the look and feel of this shield! It's all the way from mirror to mirror, a little lower so I can see over it well, and yet has the shape of a stock shield! I can hear the wind, but it's calm wind. Because of that , I can hear the bike! No longer getting buffeted. So I'm more relaxed while I'm riding, and that really comes into play for me after a couple hundred miles! It is a little warmer behind this one, but not anywhere near enough to bother me. And if you see it on the bike you'd swear it had never been modified!

The full size Rifle, blocks a little more of the wind, and I'm sure, of the bugs! So I think I'll use it for the full effect on really long trips.

I'm still seeing chatter about a better shield, well, I think I might have hit a home run with this one!

edit: on the bike and view underway

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Nice! I may do this if/when I replace my going on 7-year old Rifle Touring. Maybe I'll do it sooner than later and cut the old one for a try.

Could you confirm a few things: In the first bike picture, are you using the tuning block, and is it Full Down? The second picture is Full Up or close to it? and you are using risers, how tall are they... And how tall are you? And any seat mods?

Most appreciated and again, nice work. :clapping:

Very Nice! I may do this if/when I replace my going on 7-year old Rifle Touring. Maybe I'll do it sooner than later and cut the old one for a try.
Could you confirm a few things: In the first bike picture, are you using the tuning block, and is it Full Down? The second picture is Full Up or close to it? and you are using risers, how tall are they... And how tall are you? And any seat mods?

Most appreciated and again, nice work. :clapping:
1) 1st pic shows bike with tuning block, full down. With auto re-tract, it was always down when parked. The tuning tips the nose up and throws off the lines of the bike.

2) next is close to full up, or matching the front line. Turns out for me that I like it there while riding as well. Now I just make minor adjustments while underway.

I have HELI Risers, which raise the bars 1" and bring the grips back abt. an 1 1/4".

I'm 5' 10" and run between 180 and 200 lbs.

I did alter my seat a little to include a "Pudgee Pad" memory foam insert and drop my butt into the seat. It tipped me back to match the new position the risers gave (so I'm not sliding forward). This turned my 200 mile seat into a 400 mile seat. On long rides I add a 20 dollar air cushion from REI (with barely any air in it) under my Alaska Sheepskin pad.

I've probably spent about 150 bucks on the seat and I'm happy with it (ignorance is bliss). Which makes me one of those guys whose spent some money to avoid the price of a custom seat!

But then I'll probably tackle that myself as well someday!

Good copy. We are similar size and weight and did similar mods on risers and even the seat, which I lowered a bit and flattened with a 3-layer memory foam insert and a fitted sheepskin topping. It was a big improvement, but I'm on the standby for Russell seat after a 7K-mile trip.

I like my Rifle, but mentioned on another thread that with the tuning block, the Full Down is great, but the Full Up quiet zone doesn't quite reach my head without a duck and cover. So for long trips, I go without the tuning block for the effect of getting quiet air in the upper range. I even tried to modify the tuning block angle to raise it a bit, but I fubarred that attempt.

Anyway, appreciate your post--put me thinking again about how to approach the barn door effect. You may have the shield Yamaha shoulda woulda coulda have put out there as stock!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the pics I think I will order? two and practice on one as our season starts to cool down here in Tennnessee. How did you gets the edges smooth what did you sand with

Thanks for the pics I think I will order? two and practice on one as our season starts to cool down here in Tennnessee. How did you gets the edges smooth what did you sand with
I started sanding with 220 grit in a palm sander, just to clean up the edges mostly. Then changed to wet/dry sandpaper and used 320,400 and 600 grit by hand. I was able to bring the edge all the back to factory smooth.