Cutting down stock windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbay

Reaction score
I just acquired a taller shield for my 04 FJR . I live in Chicago and will be using this early and late in the year when it's cooler.

I usually park the bike in July and August when it is really hot out. Outside temp and the heat from my bike is just to much for me.

I want to cut the stock shield down far enough to make the ride a lot cooler in the summer, but not too far to make the shield unusable when I put the shield up , when it might be a bit cool out . You get the idea.

If there is anyone out there that has done this I would like to know how many inches you cut off and your results .

I can only cut it once and don't want to cut it too short. Thanks Jim

Have you "tuned" your shield so that you can just tip it down lower? Reduces back pressure and let's it lean WAY down. I have a 4+4 with two M6 (or was it M4) nuts under the Wframe (Rad's Nuts Mods). I can get a full face of air, I get some under the shield, and a lot less push against the back of my head.

Then again, some guys have two shields, one for summer (or NONE) and one for cold weather. I'm sticking with my tuned 4+4 '04. We'll see what the '06 shield is like later.

Sorry, I know it wasn't exactly what you were asking, but just thought I'd throw that out there.

I think you should try & find the most comfortable height with the stock windshield, then pick up a 2nd screen that you can start shaving abit at a time with....there should be alot of stock screens out there cheap....good luck

Have you "tuned" your shield so that you can just tip it down lower? Reduces back pressure and let's it lean WAY down. I have a 4+4 with two M6 (or was it M4) nuts under the Wframe (Rad's Nuts Mods). I can get a full face of air, I get some under the shield, and a lot less push against the back of my head.
Then again, some guys have two shields, one for summer (or NONE) and one for cold weather. I'm sticking with my tuned 4+4 '04. We'll see what the '06 shield is like later.

Sorry, I know it wasn't exactly what you were asking, but just thought I'd throw that out there.
Yes I use a Rifle tuning block which is much better than without it. Would recommend it to anyone . Thanks

Here's a couple pics of my summer screen. Air hits me in the lower chest when down and in the neck when it's up. ( I'm 5'8" ). Works really well on hot days around town and even longer day trips. B)

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

I chopped one like Highlander.

It was scratched up high, from a low side.

I used painters tape to tape up the part I wanted to keep. (to prevent scratches)

I measured and penciled a line on the tape.

Remeasured and adjusted about 5 times to make sure it was symetrical.

Used a band saw to cut along the line. (do not use a hand tool, not enough control)

The edge was a little rough with burrs at the corners.

I used a bastard file to smooth the edges and burrs.

I was surprised how well that worked.

I was real happy with the result.

The cross section was opaque. I think you could polish the edge, but I did not see the need.

It is just my July- August shield. It just keeps the wind off my tank bag.

Total clean air flow to the helmet, like it a lot. :assasin:

This kind of inquiry is subjective to the person behind the shield. Variables inclued seat height, height of rider, bar risers etc. For every action there is a reaction. Change any of these and the need for the shield height changes.

All the variables would make a difference. I have bar risers and my seat is not stock and is about an inch higher. So I think the cut it a little bit at a time approach would work the best .

Quicksilver when you said much cleaner air flow , would that also mean much quieter as far as wind noise ? Also good Pictures. Thanks

I had a similar goal to you, jbay. Instead of cutting the top, I super-tuned it. I used a rifle tuning block and then added washers under it to further tilt the shield back. This caused the sides of the shield to hit the fairing, so i cut off about an inch or so of width off of each side.

Result: shield full down my helmet is in 97% clean air. If I jut my head up an extra 1/2 inch it is completely clean air. With your bar risers and higher seat you should be in good shape. Excellent airflow, nice and cool for hot summer days. Shield up the blast hits be around neck level. Not very pleasant, but useful to reduce fighting the wind at higher speeds.

Looks: I don't think it will win any beauty contests, but it isn't too bad. I don't have any photos to post yet.

I had a similar goal to you, jbay. Instead of cutting the top, I super-tuned it. I used a rifle tuning block and then added washers under it to further tilt the shield back. This caused the sides of the shield to hit the fairing, so i cut off about an inch or so of width off of each side.
Result: shield full down my helmet is in 97% clean air. If I jut my head up an extra 1/2 inch it is completely clean air. With your bar risers and higher seat you should be in good shape. Excellent airflow, nice and cool for hot summer days. Shield up the blast hits be around neck level. Not very pleasant, but useful to reduce fighting the wind at higher speeds.

Looks: I don't think it will win any beauty contests, but it isn't too bad. I don't have any photos to post yet.
Super tuning another viable alternative . I'll give that some thought. Hmmm narrower or shorter . Some more thought is needed. Thanks

[

I have done this procedure similar to Quicksilver.

To get each side symetrical I drew on the tape with a pencil until it looked right, then placed a large piece of paper over top and traced the line. I placed another piece of paper under when I cut it then fanned them out and taped them together, then traced a new line on new painters tape.

I used a jigsaw with a blade made for plastic, then the coarse file, then 80, 120, then 300 grit sandpaper on a rubber sanding block. The finish on the edge looked pro :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode with NO windshield at all and there is still 'dirty' air coming off the fairing causing noise and buffeting. :( Kind of annoying. I am only 27 and my virgin ears get really annoyed with all the wind noise. When I hop on a CBR - tiny bike tiny windshield, my head is in completely clean air and i can ride all day without earplugs. wish i could do that on the FJR.

Between the engine / radiator heat and the buffeting, I've been toying with trading the bike in to be honest. I even listed it on this site at one point.

Last edited by a moderator: