Cycle Guardian

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyGoose

Reaction score
I've seen multiple discussions on this topic and wonder if anyone actually figured it out yet.

heres the history:

Helmet guardians use to come with locks that can be taken to the local lock smith and re keyed to work with the fjr key.

then they changed the lock (this happened within the last 2 years) so that it could not be rekeyed to work with the frj key. Forum members were carussing junk yards looking for the old style locks.

Now i hear they have moved back to a lock that can be rekeyed to work with the frj ignition key once again.

Can anyone set this straight?

thanx

GreyGoose

Bought a Helmet Guardian last week. Made sure the ignition keys of my '07 FJR fit into the locks before completing the sale. Took the locks off the mounting bar, then went across the street from the dealership to a locksmith where they were re-keyed. Got a bracket, and now one of the locks is mounted to the right side of the FJR along with a powerlet outlet. There'll soon be a bracket on the left side of the motorcycle for the other lock.

Mike

I just did the Helmet Guardian thing and bought the bracket from Scott. Yes, the Yamaha key fits mine too. I haven't had mine rekeyed yet.

(Duezzer, the HG is a helmet lock that fits on the license plate. Scott Townsend developed a bracket that uses one of the HG locks and mounts on the frame on the right side, and gives you a professional looking helmet lock, something the FJR needs! A quick search should turn up the source -I've forgotten where I got it.)

I picked up a set a couple months ago, and they use the same blank as the FJR. I re-keyed them myself and mounted them up under my Givi.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Helmet Guardian, like Yamaha, uses different lock cylinders for its lock assemblies.. Its not that the specific lock cylinder has stopped production, its just that they use different actual lock cylinder assemblies. Its a hit and miss thing to find the correct lock cylinder unfortunatly.. As stated in a prior post by MIST, a new LEFT SIDE bracket was developed on his bike last week and delivered/installed last night. Similar mounting style but slightly different due to placement on the left side. It will also be available with either a single or dual BMW style outlet bracket which is the same bracket just modified to put the electrical socket to the same bracket.. I'll try to get some pictures of the install this weekend and will post when the left side will be available for sale. They should be done this weekend. Pictures of current bracket installs are located under the "FJR Vendor Offers" section under "helmet guardian". Please e-mail me direct at: [email protected] for further information, pictures etc.. Thanks and safe riding, Scott

A bracket to mount a Helmet Guardian lock assembly to the left side is now available. Similar in design to the right side it requires no modifications, includes stainless steel hardware and instructions. Listed under "FJR VENDOR OFFERS" is a post with more information. Below links are pictures of the bracket with lock assembly on a 2007 model. Still available are brackets for the 2003 thru 2005 bikes as well. For further information/pictures please e-mail me direct @ [email protected]. Thanks and safe riding, Scott

https://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/SRT-60/upload.jpg (right side)

https://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/SR...deinstalled.jpg (left side)

https://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/SR...cketmounted.jpg (2003-2005 bracket)