CYCLE PORT GEAR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodantking

Reaction score
Got in a wreck this year and while my gear did the job it is toasted! Got a new track in town opening up this year and want to do some track days next year. I don't wont two riding suits, but if it is suggested, I would consider it. I'm looking at Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar Jacket and pants. Are they worthy? I also tour in all weather on the road. These are to expensive to replace if they do not hold up to pavement for my wallet.

If you are doing track days, you need to check thier requirements. Beyond that, nothing protects like leather and armor, but it is not the best thing for the FJR. I have full leathers AND Aerostitch Darien. I'm covered.....no pun intended.

I'm looking at Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar Jacket and pants. Are they worthy?
I don’t have any experience with Cycle Port Gear but I am also seriously considering their pants. If purchased, I am going with the Air Mesh Kevlar Pants over the Ultra II that you are considering. I was told via phone that they are more “breathable“ than the Ultras and can still be used for cold weather riding. The wait is about 4 months which will be perfect when my riding season returns. They are custom tailored and materials are from Switzerland. I guess they tell us that to make us feel better about paying the high premium. LOL. Hopefully, we can get a few to chime in about their experience with Cycle Port Gear.

I have the ultra 2 set. Best money I've spent. THEY say they have the only material beside race quality leather to be road race approved. You might check that to be sure. I don't race, or do track days, but for the versatility i have experienced so far, you can't beat this gear. Spend the extra money and get the liners also. That makes the jacket and pants waterproof. And windproof.

Without, you have a nice breathable summer jacket. The quality is excellent. The armor is front and back. Off the bike, the pants are baggy, the coat is heavy and bulky. On the bike, they disappear. I bought them for on the bike. No, I don't look like the cool road rashers that hang off on their GSXR's, but in the summer desert heat of socal, on the bike i'm feelin the breeze, and underneath, i'm wearing a tshirt and shorts. Pack some tennies, trade them for the boots which go into the side bags, lock the jacket and pants to the bike, and I'm a regular tourist. I'm also a few years away from looking good in a leather one piece. This gear is really nice. I'm not too far from their shop, so I was able to meet with the owner for a fitting. I bought gear for me, my wife, and my son. Pricey, but much more durable than leather, and won't melt into my skin like poly. Machine washable, so it doesn't have to get that funk associated with leather. :puke:

Ride safe.

I believe CyclePort is the gear that Toecutter and Mrs. Toecutter wear. He has always had good words about the stuff. Do a search on this forum and you'll find what he has written about it. It is accepted for racing by at least one sanctioning body. You definately need to check with the track you intend to ride on. It is expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking at Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar Jacket and pants. Are they worthy? I also tour in all weather on the road. These are to expensive to replace if they do not hold up to pavement for my wallet.
I've never done a track day, but most won't accept mesh gear will they? I know that some tracks have rather light requirements for the initial beginner course days, but I'm not sure they still would allow any mesh.

You folks have any links or pics of the gear you're talking about? I may be looking to get something different by the time I take off for WFO5.

You folks have any links or pics of the gear you're talking about?
www.motoport.com

While the product gets favorable reviews, that site IMHO could use some serious overhauling, it sucks! It's interesting that this gear is being discussed at this time, as some freinds of mine have also been taking a look at it lately. After some debate the general concensus came down to this, in the context of seeking out the very best protection available:

If Motoport's fabric choice is so superior, why don't all of the manufacturers follow suit with the kevlar blend approach?

The Tri Armour reads very well and they have also gone a step further than most by adding chest armour. After head/neck injuries, this is the second biggest cause of fatality to a rider. Also had independant research done to show it's advantage of impact protection over some of it's competition, very important consideration.

Not a big consideration, but you won't win any beauty competitions wearing it. :bad: I could care less BTW, safety first always!

The bottom line: Until motorcycle racers start wearing anything other than the hides of animals in a 1 piece configuration and go another direction with the armour worn underneath, this group will be following their lead.

You folks have any links or pics of the gear you're talking about?
Looks like Skyway beat me...but here ya go FJRocket, these are just the pants. Note: In addition to these the insulated liner and rain Gear are extra. Grand total for outfitted pants 300+100+100=$500. I don’t like the goofy motorcycle logo around the waistband and was told via phone that it can be made without. Notice the temperature range they claim to cover. Should be very nice for touring.

These are the Air Mesh Kevlar Pants that I am interested in: https://www.motoport.com/detail.asp?InStock...Category=Kevlar

These are the Ultra II Kevlar Pants Rodantking is talking about: https://www.motoport.com/detail.asp?Product...=&Merchant_Fax=

My Ultra II Kevlar jacket and pants should be in by the end of the month. I'll post a review once I've received them. There's been some good discussion on the Motoport gear over on ST.N. Also check out this long review on ADVrider.

If Motoport's fabric choice is so superior, why don't all of the manufacturers follow suit with the kevlar blend approach?
Mainly because it's expensive as hell ($75/sqyd?) and hard to work with, from what I've been told. Many racers swear by it though - especially in Summer months, and there's countless reports of its crashworthiness. In fact, Motoport's owner is an ex-racer.

Got in a wreck this year and while my gear did the job it is toasted! Got a new track in town opening up this year and want to do some track days next year. I don't wont two riding suits, but if it is suggested, I would consider it. I'm looking at Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar Jacket and pants. Are they worthy? I also tour in all weather on the road. These are to expensive to replace if they do not hold up to pavement for my wallet.
Well, I guess I should chime in. I love my Air Mesh Kevlar suit. Eve isn't so hot on the bulkiness, especially in winter. I am realistic knowing that I won't be warm riding in sub-40 temps without some bulk or heated garments (PITA with voltage issues and more cords to plug/unplug). I also don't think the mesh would be allowed for track use. Plus, I have never worn anything else for safety gear (other than turnouts at work, so I'm used to bulky clothing) so I can't compare them to anything else. I find the setup very versatile for a wide range of temperatures and weather conditions. I carry a cable to lock the suits to the bike so we can walk around comfortably while touring. Lastly, I pretty much have to wear it all the time (to keep the bees out) and at a grand per suit, can't afford but one for each of us. Hope this helps.

Have owned the Ultra II Kevlar pants for two summer seasons which is about 10,000 motorcycle miles for me.

I ride in a very hot and humid South Texas climate and must have something that breathes.

Leathers would be out of the question in these conditions.

They do breathe very well.

They are heavily padded in all the right places.

Different colors are offered and I bought black after learning that heat does not transmit thru the fabric compared to lighter colors as in other types of materials.

Black minimizes the look of bulk and I am sure has earned me many style points during my travels.

Zippers, pockets, seams etc. have been durable and have very minimal wear.

Given all the above I would buy the same again and will buy the jacket when I replace my FIrst Gear.

I wear this stuff in preparation for the day I hope never comes. You will have to hear from someone else about the ultimate test of this gear.

Good Luck! :boss:

You can't go wrong with the gear. I have the pants to match the jacket in this pic. My wife is wearing all BMW gear.

30757525.jpg

30757521.jpg

The wait is a killer, but worth it.

I haven't slid down the 405 freeway at 80mph on my big fat ass yet so can't attest to the strength, but I've got the Cyclegear (Motoport) Ultra II jacket and pants and really like them.

Very comfortable gear but ugly as all get up (Wayne talked me into the bright puke-yellow gheyness of a jacket.. I look like LaLa of the Teletubbies and my harley buddies won't let me ride with them... not that I wanted to anyway!).

Two complaints:

the velcro flaps on the pockets need to be cleaned often or they don't work (Wayne says to use a wire brush to get the crap out). I'd probably get zippers next time.

the puke-assed yellow color is fading bigtime up on the shoulders (but not the rest of the jacket). I've had this gear for two seasons and have 22k on the bike.

Very water resistant (rode through a flood once) and they breath very well in 100+ Texas heat along the Rio Grande in August.

I bought the black gear also. No problems with more heat from black gear. And remember, when we say mesh, this is still a thick set of clothes. It's not like the regular textile mesh that you can see the design of your tshirt through. And yes their website sucks. Once you browse it though, you will get some pretty good info. And of all the people I've read that bought this gear, not one has said it was a bad purchase. And as expensive as it is, I think if it did not work as designed, I would have read about it. And not just the testimonials on their website, but on forums like this. Like I said, I bought three sets- me, wife, and son. I bought gear that is versatile, so there is never a reason NOT to wear it. If it's too hot to wear this gear, it's too hot to ride. If it's too cold, it's too cold. Machine washable, and won't melt. So again I ask, how after a hot summer ride do you get the ass cheese smell out of your leathers. If you say I don't know, maybe that answers the question of why you're not invited on many group rides, and when you are why you ride cleanup. My wife feels like Eve. She thinks it's too bulky. I think for the girls it's a fashion thing. These pants do nothing for my wife's ass. Except keep me from spreading neosporin on it and covering it with saran wrap.

Ride safe.

Great information from all (thank you). Jkarp, the ADVrider link was very insightful; great photos and write-up.

Once again, I am only interested in their pants but I now have a dilemma. I am confused on which pants to purchase? The Ultra II Kevlar will be more stretchable and comfortable on the skin but possible a little warmer OR the Air Mesh Kevlar pants which will be more breathable, less comfortable and less stretchable. As another option, I read that they can be custom tailored to have the mesh fabric in the front and the standard stretch material in the back. Any comments? :wacko:

Great information from all (thank you).  Jkarp, the ADVrider link was very insightful; great photos and write-up. 
Once again,  I am only interested in their pants but I now have a dilemma.  I am confused on which pants to purchase?  The Ultra II Kevlar will be more stretchable and comfortable on the skin but possible a little warmer OR the Air Mesh Kevlar pants which will be more breathable, less comfortable and less stretchable.  As another option, I read that they can be custom tailored to have the mesh fabric in the front and the standard stretch material in the back.  Any comments?    :wacko:
I think they will mail you a set to look at and fit check before you buy.

The Ultra II Kevlar will be more stretchable and comfortable on the skin but possible a little warmer OR the Air Mesh Kevlar pants which will be more breathable, less comfortable and less stretchable.  As another option, I read that they can be custom tailored to have the mesh fabric in the front and the standard stretch material in the back.  Any comments?    :wacko:
They will be more stretchable, maybe more comfortable...but hot as hell. Cool weather riding only.

I had them, sold them. Too damn hot. And on the FJR, you'll roast your nuts off.

Get the mesh and the liner. That is all I have any more. I rode to Toronto from Milwaukee a couple of weeks ago with just the mesh pants, liner, LD Comfort shorts and long johns from REI and I was fine down to about 40 degrees. And then it was above the belt that was getting chilled, not my legs.

If you just order them standard, they will be designed as "overpants"...I do not like overpants. They will have pleated kangaroo pockets that make you look fat.

When you give them your measurments, they will design them so you can wear pants under them. That is how my Ultra II Kevlar pants are. When I ordered the Air Messh, I had Wayne make them as riding pants as opposed to over pants. Had him lose the kangaroo pocket and make them flat. Tell him what you want...he can do anything.

You will pay for it in $ and waiting time, but worth it.

I wear the Ultra II Cordura 2-piece. Not very fashionable but it keeps on working for me.

They will be more stretchable, maybe more comfortable...but hot as hell. Cool weather riding only.
I had them, sold them. Too damn hot. And on the FJR, you'll roast your nuts off.

Get the mesh and the liner.
Paladin, I think you have me convinced. My gut instinct on the Air Mesh appears to be the best way to go. I can always dress up…but I can never dress down. :blushing: Great info. Thanks.

Paladin, I am also in the Milwaukee area. Next spring check out Two Wheel Tuesdays (local bike night in Milwaukee). We certainly have enough Galaxy Blue FJRs and could use a little more color with your soon to be Cobalt Blue. ;)