Dammit!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scuba

Reaction score
Somewhere I saw a metal guard that fits over the exhaust pipe leading to the can to prevent burns and/or in my case, things contacting the pipe and melting. While putting down my centerstand, my shoe bottom hit the pipe and melted some rubber on there. Does anyone know where I can find such a farkle item?

short hijack... since you don't have the can-guards, yet...

in the mean time you might want to clean that shoe goo off. Heat pipes up & spray Easy-Off oven cleaner (or some other brand) on there & wipe. Shoe goo comes right off.

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Heidi

Easy-Off oven cleaner?

Hmmmff. I woulda used this.

airhammer.jpg

short hijack... since you don't have the can-guards, yet...in the mean time you might want to clean that shoe goo off. Heat pipes up & spray Easy-Off oven cleaner (or some other brand) on there & wipe. Shoe goo comes right off.

Heidi
Yep - the Easy Off works good - I believe the "new" version requires the surface to be cool - not hot...

Yelling here - DO NOT USE IT ON PAINTED SURFACES!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
short hijack... since you don't have the can-guards, yet...in the mean time you might want to clean that shoe goo off. Heat pipes up & spray Easy-Off oven cleaner (or some other brand) on there & wipe. Shoe goo comes right off.

Heidi
Yep - the Easy Off works good - I believe the "new" version requires the surface to be cool - not hot...

Yelling here - DO NOT USE IT ON PAINTED SURFACES!!!!
unless of course you want to remove that too!! :unsure: don't ask me how i know!!

:rolleyes: Another good product if you can find it is called "Nevr Dull" (as it is spelled on can). It is a cotton wadding that is impregnated with a cleaning compound that works great on all metals and does not scratch the surface. I have been using this stuff since I was a nub on submarines and it works great. Of course, let the pipes cool first.

When I first bought my bike, the guy that I bought it from pointed out that his wife's shoes had left behind melt spots. I brought the bike home, used the Nevr Dull and you can't even tell that anything was there. :D

GM Bug & Tar Remover. Found at your local GM dealer this stuff works great and lasts a long time. I also use it to strip wax off paint if doing a claybar job and new wax. Your paint will look like you won't believe and so will your chrome. Take care, PM. <>< :D

A guy over at the FZ1 forum is looking to form a group buy for these:https://www.speedzoneahead.com/fjrexhaustshields.htm

If so, I will post in the group buy section.

Try Wentzels (perhaps Wetzels) metal polish. Not sure where exactly to find it, I haven't bought it in years. Get the pipe good and hot, then a bit of elbow grease (with a heavey welding glove on) and presto, rubber all gone.

Latest posts