Datel voltmeter mounting problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bananaman

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to install my Datel voltmeter that I got last year, but lost the stupid little clip that holds it in place.

Mounted in the fairing will silicon or epoxy work? Anybody tried this method?

I'm getting ready to install my Datel voltmeter that I got last year, but lost the stupid little clip that holds it in place. Mounted in the fairing will silicon or epoxy work? Anybody tried this method?
If you cut the rectangular hole very carefully, the meter will press into place and be supported by the friction of the fit. You could then use some RTV (silicone seal) or epoxy as insurance, or even fab up some sort of a retaining device.

You might also try sending a message to Datel and see if you can get a replacement?

Agree the hole size should be snug. My preferred retainer is a dab of silicone on the long sides.... don't worry, it won't fall out and this takes no valuable room.

I'm getting ready to install my Datel voltmeter that I got last year, but lost the stupid little clip that holds it in place. Mounted in the fairing will silicon or epoxy work? Anybody tried this method?
You could also just put a zip-tie or even some tape around the body of the Datel meter on the under side, this should keep it from coming out.

The 2 big wires should hold it :rolleyes:

and, the other ideas sound good, too-

Thanks guys. I'll cut the square small and use a file to get a tight fit.

Silicone sounds like the way to go as it's mostly permament but can still be removed just in case.

I like the zip tie idea too!

You could knock off the corners of the datel and give the zip a groove to ride in. Sounds like a stouter mount than the manufacturer's spring clip.

Thanks guys. I'll cut the square small and use a file to get a tight fit. Silicone sounds like the way to go as it's mostly permament but can still be removed just in case.

Thanks guys. I'll cut the square small and use a file to get a tight fit. Silicone sounds like the way to go as it's mostly permament but can still be removed just in case.

as far as I know, my electronics buddys, I believe, have told me silicone glue puts out vapors corrossive to electronics.

They recommend "oxygen safe" RTV for such applications. That's what I use and I know folks here say that's the only thing to seal a AVCC control pad safely.