Decent Low Price replacement Armor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I have been looking for some replacement armor for a couple of my riding jackets. The main thing I wanted was a more comfortable back protector for my several Fieldsheer jackets. Those of you that have had the joy of experiencing the standard CE rated plank that Fieldsheer uses in the back pocket of most of their gear will know where I'm coming from.

Fieldsheer does make a more comfortable "Melicomb" back protector, but it is priced at $27 each for just the back protector. Seems a bit much for a piece of sculpted foam.

I also have a very 3/4 length nice Gore-Tex Jacket that I inherited in a past bike purchase, that had some really lame ass single layer foam in the armor pockets. I never felt very easy riding around with potentially only 1/4 of single density foam between my elbows, shoulders and spine and the pavement.

So, naturally, being the Yankee tightwad that I am, I took the low road and searched FleaBay. Much to my surprise, I found a seller that has both dual and triple density foam CE rated jacket armor sets from $12.99 and up with free shipping! Link to his eBay store: Linky

I purchased two of the yellow triple density sets for $17.99 a piece (shipped).

5PC-3L.JPG

Received them today, and I have to say I am impressed. This is good quality stuff at a very reasonable price. I can't vouch for the double density pads. They are probably more comfortable with less protection. It's all a big trade off, right?

Anyway, thought I'd share my find.

Last edited by a moderator:
Due to replace a set before the season kicks in and these look like just the ticket :)

Nice find Fred, thanx

Jester:

How come the header says "Triple density foam" but the discription says made from "duel density foam" ?

How do you know it is 3x foam?

always curious,

KM

How come the header says "Triple density foam" but the discription says made from "duel density foam" ?
How do you know it is 3x foam?

always curious,

KM

I didn't catch that typo before I ordered, but I'm guessing it was a cut and paste error by the eBay retailer. THey do not look to be in the rocket engineering business, if you catch my drift.

The actual items are clearly made with three different densities of foam. The inner foam is a dark gray with perforations, the ousuide is the bright yellow you see in the pictures. There is some other stiffer foam sandwiched in between them. You can kind of see the outline in their pictures from the auction.

Compare that to double density pads where the two layers are the same length and there is none of that outline...

Dual density:

Double_Density_Armor_Upgrade.jpg

[edit] It appears that they have done sold out of the triple density armor.

Got it. I had figured it was just case of recycling text (which is evident on other items) but as I posted the info in another forum there were some questions about it.

If you go to there "regular" web site the armor still seems to be available:

https://www.jackets4bikes.com/Riding%20Armor%20and%20Upgrades

I am going to try and order two sets for my wife and mines mesh jackets. If they are truely sold out will let you all know.

KM

Edit 1 ...was able to order one set tor $14.99 , but when I tried to order 2 a window popped up and told me to reduce my quanity. Guess I just got the last one?

Edit 2.. Guess so it no longer shows up on the armor page.

km

You'll like em.

Very substantial protection and yet quite comfortable to wear compared to the pieces that come in many jackets these days.

I just bought myself another 2 sets.