Deer Rifles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe2Lmaker

Reaction score
Any excuse for another firearm...

O.K I'd like your opinion. I'm thinking .308 is the ideal round. It's cheap. It's accurate. It's readily available.

I just learned tonight that Remington has a Model 700™ Mtn. SS Guide Special Run chambered in .308

I am chomp'n at the bit to get one. The downside is the clearance price is $750 I'm not buying a museum piece. It's a damn rifle. $750 is steep, but I still want it.

I want an AR-10 worse, but I don't have a rationalization to buy one of those yet, but in my mind we need another deer rifle.

Anybody else shoot the long arms? If so, what and at what?

The Remington is a great gun, and is used as the base for many of the TOP sniper rifles in the 308 / 7.62 cartridge. Like you said, the down side is the price, but you get what you pay for. If you were going to try to save a few bucks, maybe look at a Savage. I will say that 308 is not the most common deer cartridge, but there is certainly nothing wrong with it.

Since you asked, the long guns I have have been or are in .223, .243, 7mm Mag., 300 Win Mag, and 50 BMG.

i have a savage 308 and there is nothing wrong with it at all.......just wish i could get out in the woods more often though

I have a Remington model 700 BDL in .30-06, Leupold 4x-12x. The 700 is a good shooter right out of the box. Both of my brothers have 700s as well; one ADL .30-06, & one 7mm Rem Mag.

I like the .30-06 for the versatility it offers in bullet weight vs. the .308; Good friend of mine prefers the .308, and it will drop a whitetail with a well placed shot. Caliber is more of a personal preference based on what it's being used for, but the 700 action is solid - the old M40a1 DM (sniper rifle) were assembled from 700's as well as the new M40A3's (Rem short action 700).

The key here is "we need another deer rifle", 'nough said.

wr

Any excuse for another firearm...O.K I'd like your opinion. I'm thinking .308 is the ideal round. It's cheap. It's accurate. It's readily available.

I just learned tonight that Remington has a Model 700™ Mtn. SS Guide Special Run chambered in .308

I am chomp'n at the bit to get one. The downside is the clearance price is $750 I'm not buying a museum piece. It's a damn rifle. $750 is steep, but I still want it.

I want an AR-10 worse, but I don't have a rationalization to buy one of those yet, but in my mind we need another deer rifle.

Do you have a rifle at all now?

.308, .223, 38-56, 6.5x55, and of course the .22s. Basic model 700s are much more affordable.

Went out for ice cream the last Glock I bought. Once you've rationalized the purchase it's all just foreplay from there on out. :blink:

Any excuse for another firearm...O.K I'd like your opinion. I'm thinking .308 is the ideal round. It's cheap. It's accurate. It's readily available.

How big are your deer ?? Omg .308 would blow one to pices here ! ( nor cal ) 30-30 'S r cheap

Ur right the AR 10 is kul !!

Just like anything else there is a right cartridge for the job it has to do. Are you shooting short range and wooded areas or hunting on the prairie where it is not uncommon to have 3-500 yard shots? I could write a book here as I was a competitive shooter and hunter most of my life. 270 is a good short range flat shooting fast bullet. 25/06 is also an excellent cartridge to be used for varmint and deer. There are more big game animals taken with the 30/06 than any other gun and ammo is everywhere. My gun of choice is the 7mm mag. Fast, flat and lots of ft lbs of energy at longer distances. From 90 grains to 160, very versitile. Over kill? Maybe. I used a 30/30 lever for jump shooting tight wooded areas where a scope is worthless. Killed plenty of deer with it too. 308 while being accurate has high trajectory and very slow. I have an enhanced Remington PSS that shoots the same hole at 200 yards. I also use a 300 Winchester mag for big deer and elk in the cold country. My 7mm and 300 are set up at 160 grains and 180 grains so they have almost identical ballistics. There are other cartridges that will do the job such as the 243 which is a great short distance light cartridge. also buy a synthetic stock, durable and unaffected by weather. Remington has been the best shooting production rifle out of the box on average I have seen and used. Basically take you pick. And when asked I say I need just one more caliber to have the right rifle for the job. LOL

I have a M1A1, DPMS LR in the 308, and a Ruger 308. I have 3006 in Browning Abolt, and Remington 700. 338 in Browning BAR and Ruger bolt,3030 Marlin, and Freedom arms 454 Casull, and Ruger Super Redhawk, Among others.

I have used the 338 on Sitka Black tails because of the Brown bears in the area. I know people who used the 375 H&H for the same reason.

Deer are easy to hunt, I have used the hand guns with success.

All you hear from the previous guys are true.

As for the price, look for someone who is selling the guns at wholesale to the public. We have a gentleman here who sells all guns at $25.00 Above what he pays for any gun. If he gets a great buy, he still sells it at that price.

I also bought my guns in AK the same way.

Bob

Guess it all depends on what you want to use the firearm for.

I have had a multitude of long guns and calibers over the years.

I now have only one 7mm-08

It will kill anything that I hunt, is flat shooting and most importantly, to me anyway, is the recoil is very manageable.

I had a Remington 700 ADL 30-06 for years. Just got tired of the recoil. One can be much more accurate with less, rather than more.

I purchased a TIKKA, which is made by SAKO. Topped it with a Ziess scope. This will be the one I have forever IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Remington 700's, they've been around forever and pretty much set the standard for high end shooters and there's no shortage of custom shops when it's farkle time. But there's nothing wrong with the Savage either. I also like .308 caliber. It's available everywhere and since it's a military round it's dirt cheap, especially mail order (if you like to shoot a LOT). And it's got enough poop behind it that you can shorten a barrel to the legal limit and still knock down any deer out to several hunderd yards.

Another consideration is how you hunt. If you're a "road hunter" i.e., driving around back roads looking for deer and jumping out, loading, and shooting when you see one, a short barrel and a detachable box magazine is hard to beat. But then short barrels and box magazines are hard to beat anyway but hey, that's just me. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
We can hunt deer with knives and rocks around here. There just isn't much sport to doing the annual collection, it's more like the annual season of public service to keep 'em off the road and collect a little meat. That said, there are enough well-loved and well cared for Model 700s that you don't need to buy new. I had one and traded it as personally, I much prefer my sporterized M1A1 in 30-06.

Bob

Remington 700 hard to beat for right out the box IMO. Caliber is just a matter of preference.

7mm mag. Over kill? Maybe.
For rhinoceros....no; for whitetails inside of 300 yards....ya think? :)

The Remington M700 is a fine and accurate bolt action rifle.

I have one in 7mm STW and it shoots straight and fast but is too much gun for deer here in the Northeast.

What I use for deer hunting here is a Browning Micro Hunter in .243 Win.

It all depends on where you are hunting.

If you are hunting in open spaces or mountain hunting I would go with a M700 but in a long action caliber like 7mm Rem mag.

If you are woods hunting I would go with a short action but I would opt for the Remington M7 in 7mm or 30 cal.

I would have bought a M7 for hunting around here but they do not make them in left hand, so I bought the Browning Micro Hunter instead.

Sorry it took so long to get back in here and reply. I was checking off a few from the Honey Do list. Dog needed a bath. I don't know what that animal found to roll in, but she stunk. After that it was time to snake the basement drains. After a morning of doing jobs that Americans won't do, I thought a hot shower and a couple of good beers would get rid of that nauseated feeling. After the Vikings/Packers game that sick feeling is still there. Maybe revisiting the forum will help.

Do you have a rifle at all now?
Yes. The boy has a .22 Remington Model 510 Targetmaster. I have a Browning BPS Rifled Deer Hunter with a Bushnell 1.5-4.5 X 32 scope. Minnesota is where the Great Plains meets the North Woods. The prairie has long ago been replaced with farms and in an effort to protect the residents in those wide open areas, Minnesota is one of three states to impose “shotgun only” restrictions on firearms in designated areas. The other states are Michigan, and Virginia.

Since deer are usually better fed and better tasting from those areas, I bought the BPS. With Federal Cartridge Barnes Expander sabot slugs in the BPS I can shoot a 3in. group at 100 yards. Placing a lead pumpkin with that kind of accuracy is more than adequate. The truth is that even our rifle zone my BPS is plenty deadly because most shots are at half that range.

How big are your deer ?? Omg .308 would blow one to pices here ! ( nor cal ) 30-30 'S r cheap
Not too big. click A nice 30-30 lever would make a great deer rifle, but it's too utilitarian for me.

Are you shooting short range and wooded areas or hunting on the prairie where it is not uncommon to have 3-500 yard shots?
Our rifle zone is in short range, wooded areas.

. 270 is a good short range flat shooting fast bullet.
My brother is a big fan of the .270. He has a .270 Savage and swears by it.

I now have only one 7mm-08It will kill anything that I hunt, is flat shooting and most importantly, to me anyway, is the recoil is very manageable.

I had a Remington 700 ADL 30-06 for years. Just got tired of the recoil. One can be much more accurate with less, rather than more.

I purchased a TIKKA, which is made by SAKO. Topped it with a Ziess scope. This will be the one I have forever IMHO
True. True.

Most of my shooting is going to be at paper. A few years ago I would have been looking at something based on the Mauser Model 98, but the Remington 700 has replaced that as the de facto standard. I like the 7.62 NATO I wonder what tracer rounds would do to a stainless barrel.

Here's the 700 I'm drooling over: Click here