Deionized Water

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
Been to about 4 different stores looking f/ this stuff. Even asked the guys in the auto parts store & they didn't know. It is specifically stated in FJRtech that deionized water be used to flush & fill the cooling system. I haven't done the work yet because I can't find the water. Anyone have ideas?

Heidi

Hold on....behold this bucket of water. I hereby bless/baptize/christen this water "deionized". Use it with care. Use it with caution. And last and most importantly...respect it. :rolleyes:

You can use distilled water. Deionized water is just water that is forced through a semi-permeable membrane in an effort to remove contaminants and to a certain extent some minerals. Distilled water would also meet this criteria and in actuallity would be more pure.

Been to about 4 different stores looking f/ this stuff. Even asked the guys in the auto parts store & they didn't know. It is specifically stated in FJRtech that deionized water be used to flush & fill the cooling system. I haven't done the work yet because I can't find the water. Anyone have ideas?Heidi
do you have any type of "water store" in your area? If so - many of them sell different kinds of water, from mineral spring water, distilled, R/O (reverse osmosis) and many will run their proprietary water through several processes, one of which is deionization.

If you can't find that - and aren't satisfied with distilled water - then you can purchase a de-ionizing filter for your tap from lots of places - like hardware stores, fish shops (aquarium supplies), etc.

If it were me --- I would go with distilled water. If you asked you local shop what their source of deionized water was.... I'd be willing to bet that they would look at you pretty funny.

I bought mine at Safeway..... in the bottled water aisle....
shrug.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Use distilled water, you don't need deionized water. If you had an older cooling system hot DI water would help but your newer cooling system will do just fine with distilled water.

I'm a heavy user of DI water. Haven't been able to break the habit, in fact I'm now making it myself. FWIW, DI water is somewhat reactive and will dry without leaving a mineral residue. [opinion]Good when making optics, building high voltage circuit boards and ultra low current instrumentation PCBs but it's over kill for a new cooling system.[/opinion]

I bought mine at Safeway..... in the bottled water aisle
WC don't live in CA, do he? Next thing we know we will find out he can get fluoride too. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
We use a lot of DI water at work. The basic process is Ion exchange. Tap water is run through a series of beds ( actually they are big fiberglass bottles ) filled with a media that attracts the ions. The resulting ion free water is used in our wire EDMs and Ultrasonic cleaning systems. Why? because when you remove the ions you have removed the minerals. Parts washed in DI water dry spot free. The EDMs love it because removing the ions raises electrical resistance. However DI water has a short shelf life. It starts degrading as soon as it comes into contact with ion rich environments which is practically everything besides sterilized 300 series stainless tubing, PVC plastic or Nalgene bottles. Nor does dionizing water remove organics. We accomplish this by running the water through filters and carbon beds prior to deionization. Not easy to do at home in large quantities. I think distilled water is a fine choice unless you happen to have access to an industrial DI system. I guess when I do my coolant flush I will be staying late here at the plant.

The "Mr. Clean Auto Dry" car wash system supposedly de-ionizes the final rinse water. I have no idea of the quality but, it sure does make the bike dry spot free. Could you use the system as a source of de-ionized water? I don't know. Distilled will work fine.

do you have any type of "water store" in your area?
The question has been answered... please excuse the political/environmental content of this, but:

Does anyone but me find it ironic that while the western world moves toward purchasing water in bottles, a large percentage of the rest of the world has no access to safe drinking water? The end result, of course, is that the weathy west has less and less reason to insure waterways and aquafers remain unpolluted...

I bought mine at Safeway..... in the bottled water aisle
WC don't live in CA, do he? Next thing we know we will find out he can get fluoride too. ;)

He don't live in Virginia, either. Never seen a Safeway... but doesn't mean that they're not here somewheres.

I do have a water store fairly close by... but distilled water is really easy for me to find. That's right down the street in my friendly neighborhood Farm Fresh, Food Lion or Walmart.

Thanks everyone. I surely do appreciate all the answers.

Heidi

Been to about 4 different stores looking f/ this stuff. Even asked the guys in the auto parts store & they didn't know. It is specifically stated in FJRtech that deionized water be used to flush & fill the cooling system. I haven't done the work yet because I can't find the water. Anyone have ideas?Heidi
:rolleyes: You can get almost the same thing at any grocery store...it's labeled "Distilled" water.

I don't know of anyone who uses de-ionizes water to flush the radiator, usually you drain and fill with replacement coolant. Otherwise if you feel you need to, just go to your local grocery or wallmart and look for distilled water in the home section near the Iron or bottled water section. I use ICE when its available, its been out of stock because so many guys use it for track around here.

He don't live in Virginia, either. Never seen a Safeway... but doesn't mean that they're not here somewheres.
I'm from the PNW, but spent time back east. They're all over Virginia and Maryland. Safeway Store Locator
Thanks Ignacio. It appears that you need to log in f/ the store locator? Anyhow, these stores are probably in Northern Virginia because there isn't any in Norfolk... none that I've ever seen. Nor have I seen one in Virginia Beach. That would explain seeing them all over Maryland, too... it's right next door to NOVA.

I think that I'll go the distilled water route. Thanks for the information everyone.

Geez. Talk about informed consumers. I own a water treatment company and I was taking notes while reading this thread......Information overload.....