Did anyone else notice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistedcricket

You have whiskey?
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
First, the organizers have been getting their due props for setting up NAFO and all are deserved. This isn't a rant about the organization of NAFO but about the lack of attendance by the list of vendors.

Second, I can understand that not all can send a representative to an event and many did send something.

Third, the bad...

Come on Yamaha... what the hell? 180+ FJRs show up at one place, you tell us when you'll be cruising through, we schedule the event AROUND YOU and you don't F*ing show up?! Where's the love? You couldn't send a dozen of the $5 plastic kickstand plates?? None of those fabulous $20 ties? You couldn't call one of the local dealerships to have someone stop out and offer up some goods/tech tips, etc??????

Remus exhaust - I have choice words, but I'll refrain. The rumor is that they "ran out of product" while attending the BMW MOA. Oh, great, we're second fiddles. But to completely bail on us? Can't send a rep for some orders? and...aren't the BMW exhausts more custom than the FJRs????? hrm..how could you run out of a custom product?????

Fourth, the Great;

THANK YOU BIKE EFFECTS AND RKA LUGGAGE (in no particular order of preference). You showed up. You patiently answered questions and you left a great impression on me (and countless others I'm sure).

RealTime Industries, Motions, Brydenscot, Superbrace FJRGoodies, Colorado PowerSports and CA Sport Touring; thanks for what you provided and the sponsorship!!

I'm not sure why we flew the "Yamaha" banner in the banquet room and other common areas, at least right-side-up, anyway....

Personally, I'll add thanks to Gulfstream, since they provided more support than Yamaha (I got a hat!).

I missed out on the free N-Line spanner tool, but it was a HUGE contribution! :clapping:

Anybody who attended WFO in Park City was treated to a stellar show of vendors and swag, as a large gathering should be equipped. Sadly, Andrew (OrangevaleFJR) headed up that effort and his P.O.C. info was lost along with him.

Very disappointing to have no representation at all from Mama-Yama. I understand that their truck was booked elsewhere, but a few goodies for the door prizes would have been appreciated.

Kudos to RKA luggage. They spent a lot of time talking about products to us as we tried to make a decision. After purchasing a tank bag each, the fiddly job of fitting the straps was done for us, for no extra charge and with a smile. I get the feeling that these are stand-up folks, who stand by their product. So far, the bags have been great. They are big enough to get the essentials for a day ride in questionable weather, without putting the hard bags on.

Jill

I missed out on the free N-Line spanner tool, but it was a HUGE contribution! :clapping:
I too was disappointed that Yamaha did NOTHING to support us. I can understand if they can't bring their demo bikes, but they have no excuse to ignore us completely.

Oh, and I did get one of the N-Line multi-purpose hand tools. Very cool! I will never again use the Yamaha pliers to open an after ride beverage. ;)

I've never gone to a motorcycle rally, so I have nothing to compare it too. But I have gone to many trade (psychiatry) talks/conferences, etc. Vendor participation looked very light compared to those. I will say I called Colorado Powersports, who fit me in for an oil change, and when they didn't have what I wanted/needed in a riding jacket, referred me to a store in Denver that took good care of me. CO Powersports said they fit me in because I was going to NAFO.

But I was there for the people, not the goodies; having said that, I got a terrible itch to ride Saturday and took off for Dinosaur and Utah Sat. morning -- anybody got one of those spanner doohickies they don't want? I'll take it off your hands.

Frankly, without Yamaha's presence as a premier sponsor, NAFO felt a lot more like a large, well organized "ride" with 2 nice dinners than a national "event". I'm continuing to struggle with the fact that Yamaha couldn't even get their regional dealer manager to show up, give a short speech and hand out some keychains. (They probably had to save all their keychains for Sturgis...)

To Yamaha: We get that the FJR comprises only a very, very small percentage of your annual motorcycle sales and as such you really don't make much money off of us, but we're a loyal bunch nonetheless and the least you could have done is send your friggin' office janitor if no one else was available to demonstrate that you were - at the very least, thinking about us. One of the more expensive bikes in your line-up and you can't even throw some swag in a box and send it to the hotel by UPS ground to save money..?? Wow. I'm sure glad I don't buy your oil and filters...

To Remus: Cash in hand, gentlemen, Cash in hand. Pretty GD cheap of you that not only do you give some lame excuse that you sold out at the BMWOA rally, but you add insult to injury by only providing 1 discount certificate for the raffle..?? What happened to the "... a lot of inventory..." and "... substantial discounts..."?? The least you could have done for pulling out at the last minute would have been to have the organizing committe put a discount certificate in everyone's rally packet. I hope the next NAFO host committee takes your "participation" (or lack thereof) into consideration when they go looking for vendors.

To Bike Effects, RKA and N Line / Brydenscot: Thank you very, very much for making the effort. That effort will be rewarded I'm sure.

To the other vendors that provided items for the raffle: Thanks (though I'm still a bit miffed that I didn't win anything. 1 friggin' digit off... ;) )

I don't have to read much of this, to get a feel for just how different this year was from last year. Sorry to hear about the poor representation, especially since I'm one of those people who spent money I didn't have on something I didn't need, with Remus last year. Oh well!

It's been said that Yamaha certainly/obviously watches this forum. So rant away everyone!

:)

I am grateful Remus and CyclePort failed to appear. I had a fresh CC ready, had already made the decision to purchase even though the finances say it shouldn't be done. But buy product I was going to do!

Failure to appear, for vendors, and sometimes officers to a court of law, is a good thing for the personal pocket book. I now have little interest purchase a Remus exhaust system, it's a luxury. The CyclePort I'll most likely still purchase, it's more a survival thing.

Perhaps Remus would've shown if there'd been more of these! <_<

IMG_2556-1-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To answer the question on the thread title...no I didn't. I come for the roads and riding, seeing friends and meeting those I havent met yet.

I haven't remembered the part about the swag and goodies...I guess that part is just icing on the cake for me.

I'm guessing that Yamaha's non-appearance had something to do with an ignition failure on their swag carrying vehicle.... :lol:

i too am miffed at yamaha for not showing any support our way. but i really did want to see cycleport there, i really really really wanted to talk to them in person to order some new threads

To answer the question on the thread title...no I didn't. I come for the roads and riding, seeing friends and meeting those I havent met yet.
I haven't remembered the part about the swag and goodies...I guess that part is just icing on the cake for me.
I get what you're saying and don't disagree in the least. From the perspective of riding and meeting other owners, NAFO was superb. But from the perspective of what was advertised (NAFO Sponsors) vs. whom showed up as far as vendors were concerned; Yamaha in particular, it was very disappointing indeed. And, I suspect, the organizing committee would be hard pressed to disagree.

Last edited by a moderator:
I added the following to the "home safe and sound" thread to make it abundantly clear that I feel this is no reflection on TWN and his team, but DAMN!!

"Props to TWN and the entire NaFO team - outstanding job, great venue, you've set a tough standard for future FO's to meet.

I will look forward though to someday understanding why Yamaha took the decision to totally blow off 250+ of their most fanatic and loyal customers... Sheesh guys - not even some key chains!?"

I added the following to the "home safe and sound" thread to make it abundantly clear that I feel this is no reflection on TWN and his team, but DAMN!!
"Props to TWN and the entire NaFO team - outstanding job, great venue, you've set a tough standard for future FO's to meet.
I don't think any staff are taking it personally. We provided the hearth, the home, and the lit yule log to the event. Hell, we even had cups of eggnog ready! I don't know how much more we could have done. We picked this date to accomodate Yamaha on the understanding they'd be there.

However, shortly after we formally announced NAFO they bailed.

We asked they would send lots of good stuff...they said they would....but bailed on that too. I'm extremely disappointed in Yamaha. Hence my toast on Saturday night to the FJR itself and not the company.

(however....preemptively....in case/when somebody suggests something like, "Next time you should......" will be the time they get volunteered to be a ewe.)

Ditto Wheaton... I come to see my friends and have a few meals together. The roads and free stuff is just a bonus to me. I think it was a great event, and thanks to the vendors that showed up.

All the Yamaha Rep. would have done is shake there head up and down and say we are working on all the problems. :rolleyes:

Smitty