Did I Do This Right?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USAFFJR

Reaction score
I love riding my FJR so much, I'm selling my truck (I never drive it anymore...). That being said, I'm a big consumer of liquids (well, soda anyway) and hate to waste a to-go cup when I go out to lunch. I decided to buy the RAM Mount cup holder (Clicky) to help me get drinks from lunch back to work (or wherever).

I got the box in earlier this week and tried to install it right away. The instructions clearly say I should remove the stock bracket before installing the mount. Well, the supplied screws are FAR too long to do that. I was frustrated, thinking I had to go buy shorter screws. Then, I saw a post of someone's bike on here (couldn't find the post -- you know who you are, Mr. Farkles-to-the-extreme!) and noticed he had one and it looks like he mounted it over the stock bracket. Make sense...

EDIT: So here's the order (outside to in): Screw, washer, mount, black spacers, stock bracket, handlebar, clutch reservoir housing.

So did I do it right? Here are some pics.

Close up of the install.

3800306014_92b9607af9.jpg

Here's the cup holder in all its glory.

3800306162_10b4e4a9d9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work. :)

...and thanks... I recently got the same bracket for my GPS and had no idea where it was supposed to go...LOL

I had in hand, and planned to use the steering head ball mount, so never read the directions anyway, so this was the first time I've seen how that bracket mounts up. :)

...and I have to ask...the cup holder...

Do you feel at all guilty for contributing to the Big-Gulpification of America? ;)

...and how the heck do people ride and drink??? Clearly not with a full face helmet, I'm guessing...

Nice work. :)
...and thanks... I recently got the same bracket for my GPS and had no idea where it was supposed to go...LOL

I had in hand, and planned to use the steering head ball mount, so never read the directions anyway, so this was the first time I've seen how that bracket mounts up. :)

...and I have to ask...the cup holder...

Do you feel at all guilty for contributing to the Big-Gulpification of America? ;)

...and how the heck do people ride and drink??? Clearly not with a full face helmet, I'm guessing...
modular helmet

While some certainly do use cup holders on the fly, (Patriot and Wingabago riders), I know more that just want some way to get their morning coffee or drive thru drink back to the office where it can be consumed in safety.

I've done the 'stuff it in the glove box' thing a few times my self. Not for hydration, that uses a camelback style tube and a gallon jug.

I use a really long straw and fish it up under the chinbar of my RF1000. It takes some patience and is NOT something you can do in traffic - only for open isolated stretches of highway in the desert. :)

I definitely won't use it to drink while riding (although I do have a modular helmet). It's strictly for getting drinks from one place to another (usually a mile or two).

Still, no thoughts on whether or not I did that right??

I definitely won't use it to drink while riding (although I do have a modular helmet). It's strictly for getting drinks from one place to another (usually a mile or two).
Still, no thoughts on whether or not I did that right??
Yeah, I *think* you did it right. I have the same mounts on my controls, but use only one at present for a radar detector. Don't think I used the spacers though and did get shorter screws.

I do/can/have drunken from a water bottle tucked in my tank bag when the camel back is empty or I forgot it. Be very wary of carbonated beverages though. DAMHIK

(yes modular helmet)

Yeah, I *think* you did it right. I have the same mounts on my controls, but use only one at present for a radar detector. Don't think I used the spacers though and did get shorter screws.
I do/can/have drunken from a water bottle tucked in my tank bag when the camel back is empty or I forgot it. Be very wary of carbonated beverages though. DAMHIK

(yes modular helmet)
Ok, I'll see how it goes for a while. If nothing else, I'll just go buy shorter screws and not use the spacers. Thanks!