Digi8 Gear Indicator Install help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warpdrv

Reaction score
Ok I installed the unit in the dash area to the right of the dash, and mounting went very well..

I need to find the best area for hooking up the wires needed to finish the install, and just wanted to gather others thoughts before starting..

The Installation tips say wires should be found around the middle left side by the ECU

DG8 power (Red) to bikes Red/White

DG8 Neutral (Green) to bikes Light Blue/White OR Light Green - we have

seen both in use! This wire is in the wiring harness just below the ECU harness.

DG8 Speedo (Orange) to bikes Grey wire from Crank sensor to ECU.

DG8 Tacho wire (Brown) to bikes White/Yellow from speedo sensor.

Warchild suggested not to cut wires too close to the ECU...

But wasn't sure about the best location to hook them up.

Here are install pics I took

760c09db.jpg

Digi8-2.jpg

Digi8-3.jpg

thanks for your help...

Warp

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Warchild meant was not to slice into the harness too close to the ECU. You want a bit of room to do a good job. I am not sure how you are going to "splice" ito your wiring harness, but do so such that wter will not want to settle at the slice. Menaing do it somewhere high on the harness. Where water will want to run FROM not TO the splice. Leave a "drip loop" in your Digi wire just before the splice. A drip loop is an exess section of wire looped BELOW the splice. Thus giving any water a way to drip off the wire and not travel to your splice.

I don't personally like those 3M splice lock type connectors. But if you are going to use them here is a tip:

Place a dab of silicone rubber sealant unside the 3M splice. When you snap it onto the wires the cutter will splice the wires insulation and make a connection. And the sealant will seal the splice and make it near waterproof. (in a previous life I was an industrial scale technician. We needed to repair scales quickly and seal them to a washdown type envirinment. Not the best way to do it but it works great.. Better than not using the sealant anyway....)

Good luck with your wiring project. If you had a service manual the wiring diagram is in color and the harness routing is well documented.

John

I found the Wiring Diagram, on the web and printed it out just now...

Wiring Diag.

thanks for the tip on the drip loop...

I actually was going to splice and solder, and heat shrink and then RTV silicone it.... In a current life I own a couple of carwash's and do all the electrical myself, so working in a pressure washdown corrosive environ... is nothing new.

This Wire diag will help out tremendously.....

I'll have it finished tomorrow... Can't wait to get the damn thing done... :) Wiring Diag.

Last edited by a moderator: