Digital Hard Drive CamCorders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twowheelnut

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend
Reaction score
I'm thinking of playing around with a camcorder mounted to the bike. Anyone have pros or cons on the JVC hard drive job? Is the hard drive prone to vibratration problems? Any other video suggestions? TIA!

31417998-2-300-camera%20on-1.gif

I just bought the 20gb JVC Everio. I dream of eventually mounting on the bike to record a ride. But, that is a ways off. the lack of tapes or discs sure is an advantage. Even at the highest quality, it will hold 4.5 hours. Unfortunately, the battery is only good for 1 hour. guess I could wire up a power cord on the bike.

I managed to snag mine new in the virgin box from a guy on eBay for $500 (nobody else even bid). The stills aren't too impresive, but the video is nice.

It's very small (smaller than my digital still), and the Everio 20 has a 25x optical zoom. Good stuff!

Let me know if you get one and find a good way to mount it. Should not be too hard since it has the camera stand fitting on teh bottom.

The main reason I bought it was to record my project truck at the drag strip.

That's exactly the unit I got, Tex. Test film tomorrow. Way back in the manual it states, "Do not subject the storage medium to vibrations or harsh bumps." We shall see or back she goes!

Update:

Digital Camcorders with hard drive based storage do not like the vibrations that are inherent to motorcycles.

I put mine on the bike and all it would do is spit out and error message, "Recording Failure", as soon as I started off. Of course, when I held it in my hands and banged the living shit out of it or bounced it off the living room sofa a few times, it worked flawlessly. It went back today and I swapped it for a tape based CC...

I use a helmet cam from www.helmetcam.com when I go to Colorado dirtbiking each summer. all you need then is a digital camcorder with a A/V input.it works awesome in the woods. Good enough to make people quesy when they watch it.

Update:

Digital Camcorders with hard drive based storage do not like the vibrations that are inherent to motorcycles.

I put mine on the bike and all it would do is spit out and error message, "Recording Failure", as soon as I started off. Of course, when I held it in my hands and banged the living shit out of it or bounced it off the living room sofa a few times, it worked flawlessly. It went back today and I swapped it for a tape based CC...
My SONY works flawless! It's MiniDV tape. You have to make sure your cam has a anti-jitter feature built in like the TVR33 has (SteadyShot). It works regardless if I'm at 170 or 45mph!

Update:

I put mine on the bike and all it would do is spit out and error message, "Recording Failure", as soon as I started off.  Of course, when I held it in my hands and banged the living shit out of it or bounced it off the living room sofa a few times, it worked flawlessly.  It went back today and I swapped it for a tape based CC...
My SONY works flawless! It's MiniDV tape. You have to make sure your cam has a anti-jitter feature built in like the TVR33 has (SteadyShot). It works regardless if I'm at 170 or 45mph!
The point being made is that the storage device in this case was a hard drive. Hard drive based camcorders cannot take the vibes. The unit has since been traded in for a tape based storage camcorder which, indeed, works flawlessly. Now; if only the bonehead operator can figure out how to upload higher res. long videos in a small file for y'alls viewing pleasure...

I agree with Dirttracker, I also use a Helmet cam from Helmetcam.com.

Been wearing one in my Enduro's for the past 3 years.

I have beat the living shit out of it and it still puts out a great picture.

No Bounce or jitter at all.

They also sell mounts at thier Web site.

These helmet cams are digital but also work with Analog.

My analog recorder is much cheaper to replace and will link to software on my computer to

digitize and edit the content.

Camera is mounted on the side of my helmet and wired to my analog camcorder which

I wear in a back pack strapped to my chest.

These cameras are also waterproof.

I highly recommend Helmetcam.

Mark

I agree with Dirttracker, I also use a Helmet cam from Helmetcam.com.Been wearing one in my Enduro's for the past 3 years.

I have beat the living shit out of it and it still puts out a great picture.

No Bounce or jitter at all.

They also sell mounts at thier Web site.

These helmet cams are digital but also work with Analog.

My analog recorder is much cheaper to replace and will link to software on my computer to

digitize and edit the content.

Camera is mounted on the side of my helmet and wired to my analog camcorder which

I wear in a back pack strapped to my chest.

These cameras are also waterproof.

I highly recommend Helmetcam.

Mark
I agree that the Helmet cams are nice in that you can position them in a variety of locations. I don't particularly like it on the helmet (helmet bobs around too much), but mounted on the side, or forkleg, or facing backwards is a very nice perspective on a streetbike. I've seen the 380pixel and the 480pixel. 480 was decent, but I wouldn't even mess with the 380. Too grainy for me. Never seen the 560, but I imagine it to be better than the 480. Still, the true quality is determined by the camcorder. For dirt riding, I too wouldn't want to squash an expensive cam, but for the street or track and quality, you need a decent cam. Doesn't mean it has to be expensive though. There's a lot of MiniDV cams out there at a good price. I have seen cheap ones shake apart though. I think you can do better than $290-$360 for a lipstick cam like the HelmetCam. I want to add a lipstick to the rear and toggle it for both front or rear view with a throw of a switch. Just gota do it.

I've heard that there are firewire hard drives that can be connected directly to the firewire port on a DV Cam, but I have yet to FIND one that will work without a computer in the loop. THAT would be the way to go; the drive could be located in its own little "feather bed." Anyone have any ideas/information about this?