Directions for Replacing OEM Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smilin' Kyle

Reaction score
Is there a place that has the step-by-step directions for removing the oem windshield? (Yes, I've looked without success.) I'm going to try the 4" taller shield from Yamaha and don't want to pay the $80.00 the dealer wants to charge to do the job.

I'm going to try the 4" taller shield from Yamaha and don't want to pay the $80.00 the dealer wants to charge to do the job.

Hmmmmm............That's over$10 a bolt. You must have the "special limited edition" hardware holding that thing on.

I'll do it for $60.......................Canadian eh!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good timing on this question. One side of my W bracket is loose and rattling. Was just about to go hunting for info, now I don't have to.

A contractor we work with plays a game with their customers, "stump the chumps", and they never get stumped. I'm beginning to think the same goes here.

Boy, I wish I'd seen the Bin-o-facts before I installed my touring windshield. I never saw the two screws on the bottom. I even called my local Yamaha service guy and he told me it just snapped off — he'd never changed one and didn't know about the screws either. It snapped alright. I broke one of the bayonet tabs. With great effort and superhuman cunning, I was able to epoxy it back on and save the $80 or so dollars they want for that W bracket trim.

Boy, I wish I'd seen the Bin-o-facts before I installed my touring windshield. I never saw the two screws on the bottom. I even called my local Yamaha service guy and he told me it just snapped off — he'd never changed one and didn't know about the screws either. It snapped alright. I broke one of the bayonet tabs. With great effort and superhuman cunning, I was able to epoxy it back on and save the $80 or so dollars they want for that W bracket trim.
Call Gary at MonDak Motorsports (bin-o-facts for contact). Best price on replacement stuff for the bike.

Is there a place that has the step-by-step directions for removing the oem windshield? (Yes, I've looked without success.) I'm going to try the 4" taller shield from Yamaha and don't want to pay the $80.00 the dealer wants to charge to do the job.
Did you get it changed yet? I'm just over the bridge in Bonney Lake and would be glad to help. If you want to stop by, I'll even let you try my Cee Bailey +2high flip windshield. Just PM me. Or I'm actually gonna be in Gig Harbor tomorrow evening and could meet you somewhere.

BTW, those plastic screws will not take a lot of torque. Just use light finger tip pressure on the screwdriver when tightening!

BTW, those plastic screws will not take a lot of torque. Just use light finger tip pressure on the screwdriver when tightening!
In my experience, if you over-tighten those nylon screws windshields are prone to buzz and rattle. Counter-intuitive, but born up by trial and error.

I was able to repair the broken tabs on the W trim, so no replacement was necessary. This all happened the first week I owned the thing. I have since learned that the local Yamaha dealers are not the best places to get parts.

Yep, those 2 screws under the screen are the ones you have to look up from under it. After those are off, then the others can go, just leave the middle one for last. When installing, put the middle one in first, not too tight though.

ServiceManual.jpg

Judging from the questions I often see posted here, my copy should be a collectors item pretty soon, as it appears to be one of 12 disseminated by Yammi over the years. :rolleyes:

ServiceManual.jpg

Judging from the questions I often see posted here, my copy should be a collectors item pretty soon, as it appears to be one of 12 disseminated by Yammi over the years. :rolleyes:
Hey! Ain't that copywright infringement? :assassin:

Did you get your FPR back yet? Hadn't heard from ya.