dirttracker30 is at it again!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck35

Reaction score
Yep, He did it again!

New angles in front to accommodate Helibars and MCL tripleclamps.

I filled two 5 gallon gas cans yesterday in anticipation of this install. After the tank was as full as I dared the remains went into a large measuring cup. There was 48 oz left. Using the same math that manufacturers use for displacement, I call this 10 gallons!

Other than my fingerprints and the remains of a diseased packing peanut, The finish is flawless!

Dt30 was great to work with. He eagerly accepted my money and attacked the donor tank with a feverish gusto.

He was also man enough to cut it open again when my tripleclamps hit the front of it ;)

My hat is off to you Jim! Great job!

Unfortunately for the rest of you, this may have been the one that pushed him over the edge toward an early retirement.

IMG_20130627_195641.jpg

IMG_20130627_195703.jpg

The work on the tank looks great. I am glad that you now have 10 gallons of fuel capacity. But why? I can go 220 to 240 miles on a stock tank. By then, I need to pee or give my butt a break. TBH, i see no need for the larger capacity. But who am I anyways??

I don't like having to stop for fuel after work. Now I can go all week on a tank.
Kinda looks like you're riding a tank
smile.png
The work on the tank looks to be quite well done. How much does this add to top heaviness with a full tank at garage speeds? Man, my gen1 feels heeaavy pushing it around the garage. Makes my FZ1 feel like a bicycle.

I LOVE it! I want one, pretty much for the same reasons. I want to go longer between visits to the gas station, whether it's all at once or multiple trips to work.

The extra distance without a gas stop is a great perk aside from the fact that dirttracker30 does awesome work!!

While he had out his black crayon DT30 was kind enough to paint my Aussie PoPo box. This included filing the holes on the rear for the light bar. He took it completely apart and painted areas humans will never see. Great job Jim!

The bottom is currently canvas and gorilla tape. I have some moldable plastic sheet and a heat gun to fabricate the final bottom.

IMG_20130628_190021.jpg

IMG_20130628_185953.jpg

Today I put Tecspec snake skins on the tank. They don't have a precut that fits where my knees and thighs want to grip, so I cut my own. (they sell by the sheet)

IMG_20130630_104801.jpg

Application was a snap after cutting and grinding

IMG_20130630_110646.jpg

Then I designed and mounted the first prototype of the chuckster hydration system

IMG_20130630_132027.jpg

My biggest concern was that the water would get hot to soon. After around 3 hours in 90 degree temps I still had ice, so maybe it will be ok.

Chuck, I dont know if you are into tank bags , but a lot of times I just put my bladder in the top of my magnetic tank bag ,and leave the tube out and loop it around the bag. works good for me

I only have a tiny tank bag. They don't seem to make one for a 3 Liter bladder. I had actually once began to compose an email to Kathy's about making one.

If I can add a map holder to this and maybe a pocket for a pack of smokes, It will do me.

On the way home from work (3rd day) I finally dropped a bar, so 120 (est) miles added to stock range.

I remembered to grab the tube off the box, I have no clue what it is or where it came from. I'm sure if it is ever needed, nothing else would work as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta say, I haven't been a fan of the oversized tanks, I thought they looked too bulbous, but with the 'Aussie trunk' that looks pretty good!

How is it moving around the garage with a full tank?

Thanks!

Honestly, I can't tell any difference moving it around.

It's only around 20 lbs more when full to the brim.