Dirty Oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonyt

Reaction score
This past spring I picked up an 07 FJR, very low 36500 kms and in very good condition.
I went through all the maintenance items including new Michelin Pilot 4 GT's.
Tuned the suspension, throttle body synch. Got some Heli bars.
I put in some Rotella T6 5W40 and just changed the oil a second time now as I put on about 5000 kms since spring.
I notice the oil gets quite dirty relatively quickly.
Just looking through the site glass, I can see that the oil has gotten quite dark and this is only about 500 kms into the second oil change.
Engine runs amazing, burns no oil. I have new plugs, clean air filter, did a TBS.
I just removed the PAIR system at time of second oil change as well.
I would say the PAIR removal is a positive result, there is less whine, no burping, farting and popping under deceleration and the engine RPM dropped from 1100 to 1000.
I do run just regular fuel, which is up to 10% ethanol.
Any ideas why the dirty oil.

Pretty normal. Especially for Rotella. Nothing to worry about. Mine does the same thing and I use Yamaha recommended drain intervals - sometimes extended a bit if on a trip. Neither of the engines in the two FJRs I have owned ever burned a measurable amount of oil between changes or ever required any repairs or parts replacement in a total of 475,000 km between them. Not even clutch discs.

Set your idle back to 1100 rpm. Less tendency to stall and easier takeoff in 1st.