Disable Windscreen Autoretract 04-05

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Hoss

Reaction score
I think there is an easier way to remove the little looped wire connector do-dad that controls the autoretract than going in thru the C and D panels, as shown in a couple of tech sights. I was in there a while back and could barely see the little bugger. Certainly couldn't reach it.

I took off the windscreen, removed the square blue (05) plastic panel in the center, and there it was, lower left side (while standing in front of the bike). Easy to reach and disconnect. 15 minute job.

That's also a good place to tap into for switched power to a relay. Cut the closed loop, test which side is hot, tap into that side.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there is an easier way to remove the little looped wire connector do-dad that controls the autoretract than going in thru the C and D panels, as shown in a couple of tech sights. I was in there a while back and could barely see the little bugger. Certainly couldn't reach it. I took off the windscreen, removed the square blue (05) plastic panel in the center, and there it was, lower left side (while standing in front of the bike). Easy to reach and disconnect. 15 minute job.
God bless you! Every time I have all those $%#*@! panels off I try to find that damn little piece of plastic that somehow the guys on the tech sites manage to not only find but pull forward. I've had better luck finding my girlfriend's.... uh, never mind; that was a long time ago.... <_< ["Hi, honey. Oh nothing. I'm just writing to my friends on the Forum...."]

Anyway, it ain't there. And just yesterday for the first time I removed that panel you're referring to. I'm marching out to the garage RIGHT NOW to do the surgery!

Thanks!

Jb

I think there is an easier way to remove the little looped wire connector do-dad that controls the autoretract than going in thru the C and D panels, as shown in a couple of tech sights.
For '05s like yours...absolutely. The popular article for disabling was written in '02....when only the '03 was out and aalid for '03s. As noted on this forum many times--the connector is in a different location for '04 and '05.

Your method won't work for an '03. No way you're getting to this connector through the hatch under the windshield.

Molex-2.jpg

....to which I edited your thread title to '04 and '05.

I'm marching out to the garage RIGHT NOW to do the surgery!
Okay, I'm back. From entering the garage to sitting back down at the keyboard with Mission Accomplished: 30 minutes. This included removing the windscreen AND dashboard shelf, fooling around with a couple of needle-nose pliers and playing surgeon, taking pictures, dropping windshield screws all over the garage floor, and dancing to R.O.C.K. in the USA* on the radio by Billy Idol. :yahoo:

Here are some photos:

Patient anaesthetized and awaiting extraction: "Open wide...."

340430793_e3cd4c6433_b.jpg

"There's the little bastard! Finally! Ha ha!" [With black-wire loop.]

340430795_c59896d358_b.jpg

And out she comes....

340430797_4dc12d34b9_b.jpg

Thanks again! I've been wanting that bugger out for months (since I bought Baby in April).

Jb

*Motor-Cyclin' in the USA!

Jeez....and I did mine from the Rt. side with a long pair of needle nose pliers. But then, I looked at lots of pictures and pretty much new what I was looking for....and I had to move the loom around a bit.

I think there is an easier way to remove the little looped wire connector do-dad that controls the autoretract than going in thru the C and D panels, as shown in a couple of tech sights.
For '05s like yours...absolutely. The popular article for disabling was written in '02....when only the '03 was out and aalid for '03s. As noted on this forum many times--the connector is in a different location for '04 and '05.

Your method won't work for an '03. No way you're getting to this connector through the hatch under the windshield.

Molex-2.jpg

....to which I edited your thread title to '04 and '05.

Thanks, Iggy. I stand corrected on the '03.

JB, did you attend dental school?

Good tip. Thanks.

I had tried the C-D panels, wasn't sure which connector to pull, and so just gave up.

Edit, one day later: Sure enough! I went out to the garage last night, yanked the loop, tried it today and voila!

Thanks again for the easy tip.

The easy-access loop connector: Yamaha musta been one step ahead of us on this one. Perhaps they thought people would want to delete this feature so they made it easy to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I nominate this thread for the 03-05 Bin-O-Facts. Anybody care to second?

Thank you Charlie Hoss! I had long since given up on this one and it turns out to be easy as pie. Ummmm pie...

I nominate this thread for the 03-05 Bin-O-Facts. Anybody care to second?
Thank you Charlie Hoss! I had long since given up on this one and it turns out to be easy as pie. Ummmm pie...
Second the motion! I too had given up, but still REALLY wanted to disable the auto-retract, particularly since I always forgot about it would watch helplessly as the windscreen crunched down on the lens of my video camera mounted on my dash shelf. This is one of the best Forum tips I've ever received to date. :clapping:

Pie.... I think I have some leftover Christmas pie in the fridge.

GTG!

Jb