Disk Brake locks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric W

Reaction score
Im contemplating purchasing an additional lock of some sort for an upcoming trip where the bike will be left unattended, At the motel in the Evening Etc, Im Leaning towards one of the Xena Disc brake locks with an Audible alarm, Just its size during transport is a sellling point for me. Perhaps their's better products out there. But I Couldn't find much with a forum search. Any advise from you guy's would be appreciated. Thanks Eric

Im contemplating purchasing an additional lock of some sort for an upcoming trip where the bike will be left unattended, At the motel in the Evening Etc, Im Leaning towards one of the Xena Disc brake locks with an Audible alarm, Just its size during transport is a sellling point for me. Perhaps their's better products out there. But I Couldn't find much with a forum search. Any advise from you guy's would be appreciated. Thanks Eric
Disc brake locks do work, as long as they can't physically pick the bike up and load in on/in something, but I've always been afraid of those. I've seen too many folks forget them and drop the bikes in front of god and everbody...

Yeah, I know, use a reminder thingy that goes on your handlebar or something, but sooner or later... Of course, I forget where I left my piece of pizza sometimes right after I set it down, so I guess I'm overly paranoid about it! Audible alarm would help; can't hurt!

I'm more worried about someone making off with some of my $$ farkles, like the V1 or Zumo, stuff like that while I'm in a store or restaurant.

I've had a XENA audible alarm disc lock for about 6 years. In those 6 years, I've had two modules go nuts (alarm without motion), but the company has replaced them at no charge including free shipping. Customer service is top notch and except for the two issues I've had, the unit works as advertised. I've never even come close to forgetting it as it's pretty noticeable when approaching the bike, but the audio would alert you before you even got moving as as any motion of the bars will set it off. Small size (fits easily in the under seat tray) and audio make it a winner in my book!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would prefer one of those big cable locks so that I can actually connect my bike to something like a pole or fixture. Guys who steal bikes regularly don't even roll them. All they do is use a couple of poles to pick the bike up and dump it in the back of a truck. This process takes less than 30 seconds from the time they get out of the truck to the time they are driving away. A disk lock won't prevent that from happening. However, I have only ever seen that done to sport bikes and a couple of enduro bikes. Maybe a beast like the FJR is too much for that method.

Out on the road, I just basically lock the handlebars. If they really want it, they're gonna get it.

Good luck.

Im contemplating purchasing an additional lock of some sort for an upcoming trip where the bike will be left unattended, At the motel in the Evening Etc
There's nothing wrong with a disk lock. I have the Xena too and it's fine.

However, for your trip there is a better device. A plain, cheap, generic bike cover. The kind you get from the auto parts store for $15 or so. Park at the hotel, toss on the disk lock, then cover it up. No one ever bothers to look under the cover. As long as it doesn't have a splashy "Harley Davidson" on it, it's simply easier to go on to the next bike.

Just having a dirty, scratched up bike helps too. :) I don't bother much with the cover any more. The rash and dirt seems to make my FJR less desirable to thieves. :lol:

Worth noting, read the Xena directions before you head out on your trip. Mounting it low prevents alarms during windy nights. Mounting it high is more sensitive. Keep track of that little allen wrench too, it's a bitch when the damn thing decides it's low on battery and goes off in the middle of the night and won't stop until you pull the battery pack out.

We have one of the heavier coiled cable locks for bicycles. On the few occasions where I thought a lock was needed, that's what I grab, so the bike isn't grabbed by somebody with a pickup truck. When not in use, it's pretty small, has the combo lock built in. You can also run it through the sleeves of jackets and a couple of full face helmets to keep them from being taken.

I find the best thing for peace of mind is a lack of paranoia! Hasn't failed me yet! :yahoo:

Heck, I've even been known to leave my keys in her unattended (just ask the peeps that went to CFR this year! :D )

... as long as they can't physically pick the bike up and load in on/in something...
:lol: that'd be fun to watch with the FJR.

......Disc brake locks do work, as long as they can't physically pick the bike up and load in on/in something, but I've always been afraid of those. I've seen too many folks forget them and drop the bikes in front of god and everbody...
".................................there is a better device. A plain, cheap, generic bike cover......................."

+1 on the cover. Bike just seems to disappear when it's on, keeps kids from f'n with it and protects farkles and bungied stuff. Cheap scruffy one is good, a buddy had his new branded cover stolen once - crooks don't steal crap :rolleyes:

I use a disc lock with a vinyl rope through it and around the grip when in use. I use a cable lock through the jacket sleeve and helmet bar which can also accomodate passenger's gear and through a grab handle. So far So good, but a motivated thief can steal stuff.

We have one of the heavier coiled cable locks for bicycles. On the few occasions where I thought a lock was needed, that's what I grab, so the bike isn't grabbed by somebody with a pickup truck. When not in use, it's pretty small, has the combo lock built in. You can also run it through the sleeves of jackets and a couple of full face helmets to keep them from being taken.

+1 ... and good insurance.

I have a xena disc alarm and it works well, but my paranoia has greatly reduced and I've let my guard down. I cover the bike when traveling. An unattractive cover won't say "take me" nearly as much as a shiny new expensive looking motorcycle.

".................................there is a better device. A plain, cheap, generic bike cover......................."
+1 on the cover. Bike just seems to disappear when it's on, keeps kids from f'n with it and protects farkles and bungied stuff. Cheap scruffy one is good, a buddy had his new branded cover stolen once - crooks don't steal crap :rolleyes:

Make that a +2 on the cover. If you look at my Profile here there is a photo of me standing next to a pretty yellow R-6... my FJR is under the blue and silver cover behind me. Virtually invisable.

I got the cover at Wally World for 19 bucks. It has large gromments on the bottom that I fish a small cable lock through , to make sure no one tries peeking at what is under the cover. With the bags and tail case on it might just be an old GW for all one can tell (not that there is anything wrong with a Gold Wing...)

It also serves to keep bird shit and dirt off if you are parked for any length of time.

Heck, I've even been known to leave my keys in her unattended (just ask the peeps that went to CFR this year! :D )
I did the same 2 nights ago. I always shut the bike off with the kickstand and then pull the key. Not that night. Left the lights on for a good hour. Deader'n shit!

The shame in having a bunch of pot bellied HD riding yahoo's push me for a bump start was almost to much to bare... and man, are they getting mileage out of it.

Oh ya, disc locks. I've got one, brand new, never used it. I figger if something ever breaks on the road I can use it as a hammer.

Eric

Any good disk lock will work, I have a Kryptonite.

Placement is critical.

Add a coiled tether and attach it to the handlebar end. You're goal is not to forget about it and attempt to drive away, you won't get far.

My method is to park the bike, turn the handlebars which ever direction seems best at the time, and lock them. If you turned left, put the disk lock on the left rotor, if you turned right - right rotor. When you get on the bike and unlock the forks and straighten out the handle bars, the tether will be more noticeable as you swing that handlebar away from the tank.

This is the critical step...

Affix the disk lock to the rotor just below the brake caliper !!!

That way if you still forgot to remove the damn thing you will only roll forward an inch or so. You will not build up enough momentum to do any damage. I have a friend who affixed his alarmed disk lock (without a tether) just in front of his forks. He almost traveled 4 feet in a hard left turn before that lock hit hard parts and threw him to the ground. Brand new '07 BMW K1200GT without a scratch on it - until then. Needless to say, he was not very happy with himself. :banghead:

Hope this helps

Brodie