Do I have a tumor?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bungie

FrostBack #2 - IBA # 44620
Reaction score
I've been riding with an HJC CL-SP Animus now for about 3 years. In typical HJC fashion, the shell is on the large side and the helmet lets in a LOT of air on the sides. This worked out for me as I've got speakers mounted in the ear cavities so I lived with it.

At the start of the season last year, I ordered a set of +10mm cheek pads from New Enough, that took care of the side to side looseness and life was good.

This year I went on a couple of all day rides with no problems at all. Then I went on a short ride (a couple of hundred K's) and had a noticable hot spot across the top of my forehead. It was damn excruciating! Pull off the helmet and I've got a big red mark across the top of my noggin'. CFR was coming up and the thought of dealing with a bad fitting helmet scared the bejeebuz out of me. It was no time to buy a new helmet and take my chances. So, I ordered in a new liner for it thinking maybe it just had enough of me. The new liner made the helmet feel great!

Rode from Sudbury to Wisconsin, and back in 2 days. No hotspot. Life is good.

Then yesterday I did another day ride. Hotspot is back! What the HELL! How can this be?! I tried wearing the helmet 'up' with the chin bar about an inch higher than normal. Same thing, I tried it in the down position. Same thing. Of course, once your dealing with a hotspot, any pressure afterwards will be magnified as its already angry at you.

Has anybody experienced this.. 'intermittent' hot spots?

Hi Bungie!

...hotspot...
You and the Mrs. getting along OK?

:lol:

I had a Vega that was fine one year, put a dent in my forehead the next year after about an hour of riding. I hammered the corner of the padding to get by for a couple of weeks while I waited for my Shoei to arrive, then tossed it in the garbage. No problems so far 3 years with the Shoei. I have a CL for a spare in case something sudden happens to the Shoei, and I replaced the cheek pads like you, but I have only worn it a couple of times, and it fits fine.

Try a hair cut? :dntknw:

I hammered the corner of the padding to get by for a couple of weeks while I waited for my Shoei to arrive, then tossed it in the garbage. No problems so far 3 years with the Shoei.
Try a hair cut? :dntknw:
You should turn your cast off helmets into knee-pads LOL! :D

Funny you should mention hair cut.. my hair is the shortest its been in a long long time right now. But the hotspot started before I got my hair cut. Tip, never get your hair cut by a 22 year old ridiculously hot aspiring model with 'they could be fake' boobs.

"How's that?"

"Shorter"

she cuts it shorter, lifting her arms up to give you a perfect profile view of her boobs

"How about now?"

"Shorter"

"You sure?!"

"Oh ya, I'm sure"

"Any shorter and I'll have to use the clippers"

"<garrrllll>"

I had a couple Shoei's that did that.

Could be you have the wrong shaped helmet for your melon (Maybe you need a long oval style), or you have a vent that might be open pouring cold air into your head, freezing your mind.

Get a better helmet that fits your head all the way around, no gaps on sides etc.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good call Geezer :lol:

Funny how he gets them thar "hot flashes" in his head though. :huh: Must be a Canadian thing. :D

:jester:

I prefer my helmet to be a little on the tight side than on the loose side. As such, I have "bad helmet days" like you described every now and then. I'm not sure what causes it, but here are some of the things I have considered while my forehead throbs inside of my helmet:

1) I'm dehydrated or over-salted and my skin is swelling.

2) The humidity and temperature definitely have an effect on the fit of my helmet. My helmet fits best when it is cold outside (40F-ish) and while it goes on more easily at higher temps (90F-ish) it presses on my noggin more.

3) Aliens.

I mitigate these hotspot days by loosing the chin strap just a little, or wearing a CoolMax skull cap thingy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had an HJC, don't remember what model, that caused pain right above my forehead when I rode for more than 1.5 hours. I still have it, but I don't use it anymore. Maybe an HJC thing?

Oh, also it was too big. Was XL, I needed a large.

Had the same problem with my Shoei. Bought an HJC.

Had the same problem with my HJC. Bought an HJC flip-up.

Had the same problem with my HJC flip-up. Bought and Arai.

As the retailer explained to me during our EXTENSIVE fitting process, different Arai models are built on different molds for different head shapes. I bought the Profile. The Vector and the RX-7 and the other Arai models would not work well for me. The Profile is built around my head shape.

Have not had the same problem with the Arai. Will buy another Arai when the time comes (and another and another and another........)

Granted the Arai IS NOT an inexpensive helmet (between the helmet, the J&M speakers and the kick-ass true flame paint, I am somewhere in the neighborhood of $8-900 into this lid), but I can(and have) put together several 6-8 hour days with no hint of discomfort and no big red spot on my forehead.

The Service Pavilion (theservicepavilion.com) are the aces. They set up at the Cycle World International shows every winter.

Well like I said originally, this helmet has been the kitties titties as far as comfort goes for the last few years. After I posted the original message, I compressed the foam in brow area and went for a scoot. Same thing - hotspot. I don't think its tight, in fact, I think its loose, even with the new liner in it.

Farg it.

I went and bought a new HJC IS-16 then went for an hour and half ride. No hot spot. Were doing a day ride on Sunday. That'll be the tell tale.