Do my own tire changes?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogan

Reaction score
I've undertaken a fair number of wrenching projects on my bikes over the last couple of years but I've never mounted and balanced a tire. My interest in possibly doing this is less about cost saving and more about making sure it gets done right. Local places seem to employ nothing but animals.

Couple of questions for the vets:

--Is it easy to learn and do?

--What's the best machine/setup? Nomar?

--I'm not sure a concrete mount is in the cards (never done that either). How would I install/use the machine?

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

I've undertaken a fair number of wrenching projects on my bikes over the last couple of years but I've never mounted and balanced a tire. My interest in possibly doing this is less about cost saving and more about making sure it gets done right. Local places seem to employ nothing but animals.

--I'm not sure a concrete mount is in the cards (never done that either). How would I install/use the machine?

I have a NoMar. It's bolted to the concrete. In THEORY, it's easy to do. Smitty sure makes it look easy. But for short, out of shape, wimpy me, I have a heck of a time getting the back rubber on the rim. I even had trouble getting the Diablo on the front rim the last time. But I finally figured out a trick to help: Clamp the rubber along the lower rim as much as possible. You can buy the "helping hands" with the NoMar, and Smitty swears by those. I used a big plastic C type quick clamp to clamp the rubber to the lower rim, and the rubber just popped down sweet as you please.

Different sidewalls are tougher than others. Diablo E and Battleaxes on the FJR have REALLY stiff sidewalls and can be a bitch. If you have someone to help you hold down the rubber, or use the quick clamps, you'll probably do OK.

Marc Parnes makes a real nice balancer. That's a fun part of the project.

Man, sorry about the foot from the Handy Lift falling on it. They are on the heavy side.

As to tire changing, I'm fully with Matt (FJRocket) on changing tires. The first time I saw Smityy change one it was on Adam's (GalaxyBlue) 05 FJR. One of the tires was very difficult to get off of the rim. The new tires went on easily but getting the one of was a PITA. Nomar has some devices I believe they call third hands and they do make it easier to get the tire off.

I did not bolt my Nomar to the floor becuase of space constraints but instead got a piece of 4'x4'x3/4" plywood and bolted 2x4's around the outside edge on the bottom of the sheet ot plywood and 2 2x2 crossmembers on the underside and then bolted the changer to the plywood. It works out fine and is plenty stable. The floor would be preferrable but this works well.

As to the Marc Parnes balancer, I got that also but first got the short axle rod and it works but is marginal as to length. I then got the longer rod and it works fine. It is a fair amount of work but more energy than brain power. As to the balancing of the wheel, I have noticed no wheel vibration up to 130+.

https://www.nomartirechanger.com/

I have a NoMar. It's bolted to the concrete. In THEORY, it's easy to do. Smitty sure makes it look easy. But for short, out of shape, wimpy me, I have a heck of a time getting the back rubber on the rim. I even had trouble getting the Diablo on the front rim the last time. But I finally figured out a trick to help: Clamp the rubber along the lower rim as much as possible. You can buy the "helping hands" with the NoMar, and Smitty swears by those. I used a big plastic C type quick clamp to clamp the rubber to the lower rim, and the rubber just popped down sweet as you please.

Different sidewalls are tougher than others. Diablo E and Battleaxes on the FJR have REALLY stiff sidewalls and can be a bitch. If you have someone to help you hold down the rubber, or use the quick clamps, you'll probably do OK.

Marc Parnes makes a real nice balancer. That's a fun part of the project.
Yes, what FJRocket said...It is easy after you have changed them for 20+ years.....

I also have a Nomar, and a Parnes balancer..I like doing it myself, and helping a few others out. The tires I go thru in a year it is close to paying for itself... Smitty :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have the space so I just do it like this:

1088155.jpg

1088154.jpg

:p :p :p :p :p :p