Do they play well together? G2 throttle tube and Dual Star heated grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfulcher

Reaction score
I am thinking about adding heated grips to my 07 FJR. The Dual Star grips look like a good way to go. I think the Dual Star grips are designed with the left heating element hotter than the right to allow for the heat absorption difference between the left handlebar and the right throttle tube.

I have the G2 Throttle tube which is aluminum instead of plastic like the stock throttle tube. Does the metal instead of plastic throttle tube make any difference? Has anyone used these two accessories together?

I am thinking about adding heated grips to my 07 FJR. The Dual Star grips look like a good way to go. I think the Dual Star grips are designed with the left heating element hotter than the right to allow for the heat absorption difference between the left handlebar and the right throttle tube.
I have the G2 Throttle tube which is aluminum instead of plastic like the stock throttle tube. Does the metal instead of plastic throttle tube make any difference? Has anyone used these two accessories together?
I have this exact setup. I did have an issue though. With the knurled surface of the G2 tube it rubbed my Dual Star raw.

I wrapped a few turns of the G2 tube with electrical tape and haven't had an issue since.

If you have a multimeter, you can see the ohm measurements you should have on the diagram I did up for my bike.

Visit My Website

Good luck.

I also have the same setup. I sanded down the G2 some, to get rid of

the sharp knurling. It does seem that the throttle side could be warmer.

Are you guys with both happy with the combination?

Right now I am thinking about installing the Dual Star grips with after wrapping the contact areas with a couple or wraps of electrical tape or a layer or 2 of heat shrink. What do you think/ Has anyone don this yet?

Ross

Are you guys with both happy with the combination?
Right now I am thinking about installing the Dual Star grips with after wrapping the contact areas with a couple or wraps of electrical tape or a layer or 2 of heat shrink. What do you think/ Has anyone don this yet?

Ross
I used the Dual Star heat shrink on the clutch side and the tape on the throttle.

I did the spring release as well and am very happy with things.

spinblue,

Were you able to use the original left hand grip with the Dual Star heat shrink? I talked with Dual Star and they said that if I used the heat shrink I would need to use a throttle side grip on the clutch side to allow for the increased left bar size due to the heat shrink.

Dual Star also recommended (?if the bars are aluminum?) heat shrink on the left and a left side heating element on left and right to compensate for the aluminum throttle tube.

:blink: I am guessing that the handlebars are aluminum and need the heat shrink? Dual Starr recommends heat shrink with aluminum but not steel bars.

I used the Dual Star heat shrink on the clutch side and the tape on the throttle.
I did the spring release as well and am very happy with things.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was tight but I used the original grips for left and right. I'm sure it would be much easier to use throttle grips on both sides if you want. I used hair spray and elbow grease.

I didn't feel the right side with the G2 tube was enough of a heat sink to rob a significant amount of heat. I certainly can see an aluminum handlebar mounted to the top triple tree, connected to fork tubes, being able to dissipate a lot of heat. But the G2 tube is a very thin walled aluminum tube going nowhere.

spinblue,

Is the heat even from left to right with your grips? If so I can change my order since they have a 2 week back order as of yesterday :( . I would tend to go with your actual experience instead of the service techs theory. He had never worked with a G2 throttle tube before.

Ross

It was tight but I used the original grips for left and right. I'm sure it would be much easier to use throttle grips on both sides if you want. I used hair spray and elbow grease.
I didn't feel the right side with the G2 tube was enough of a heat sink to rob a significant amount of heat. I certainly can see an aluminum handlebar mounted to the top triple tree, connected to fork tubes, being able to dissipate a lot of heat. But the G2 tube is a very thin walled aluminum tube going nowhere.

With the 07 you should have plenty of electrical capacity to run both unless you're riding two up and using lots of electrical liners, pants, and/or socks.

I use the Heat Troller with them to give me much more then a Hi/Low switch can.

I'm an advocate for as much heat as you can get if you can control it properly.

Another note is that I installed the V-Strom hand guards for a lot more hand protection, rain or cold.

Maybe I was not clear with my question. Is the heat output on the left equal to the right with the standard setup? Or should I go with their recommendation and get the left heating element for the left.

Oh yea, I plan to use mine with a WarmNsafe 65 watt jacket liner. Might end up on an occasional trips with 2 65 watt jacket liners, my wife wearing heated gloves, and me with heated grips. The math says this should work but be at the max of what I can do.

Maybe I was not clear with my question. Is the heat output on the left equal to the right with the standard setup? Or should I go with their recommendation and get the left heating element for the left.
You were clear but I wasn't as clear on my reply. :(

What I was trying to say was if they are giving you the option to get two hotter grips, I'd do that. I wasn't given the option and went with the clutch and throttle grips. I did use the heat shrink on the clutch side.

Both sides get extremely warm for me.

It's not my intent to make matters muddier. :)

I should note too that I did not use a standard install. I used the blue/red and white for my wiring. If you look at the table on the lower left of the diagram you'll see the resistance for all the elements. You'll see that I wired mine up in parallel Red/Blue <--> White for 1.8 ohms, 101 watts for a total of 7.5A.