do you rely on your soft luggage to be completely waterproof?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CODan

Reaction score
I'm making a custom bag to fit my seat and my Garauld rack.

I can make it of typical Cordura, which will be water resistant but will doubtless leak in heavy rain.

Or I can make it of Cordura and line it with a waterproof liner, but this would take longer and be more expensive.

It got me wondering what most guys do - rely on their soft luggage to be completely waterproof, or to put sensitive items inside some sort of additional waterproof bag (garbage bag...) and then inside the soft luggage.

thx

I have a cordera bag that I use regularly & have had it in many strong rainstorms. It has a waterproof cover which completely covers the top of the bag, cinched tight by a drawstring... & the bottom is still open. I have never had a problem with the bottom of the cordera bag getting wet. The rain cover does its job well.

Sounds interesting what you're doing. Be sure to post a pic when you're finished, Heidi

I'm making a custom bag to fit my seat and my Garauld rack.
I can make it of typical Cordura, which will be water resistant but will doubtless leak in heavy rain.

Or I can make it of Cordura and line it with a waterproof liner, but this would take longer and be more expensive.

It got me wondering what most guys do - rely on their soft luggage to be completely waterproof, or to put sensitive items inside some sort of additional waterproof bag (garbage bag...) and then inside the soft luggage.

thx
I have a Moto-Fizz bag that's constructed of Cordura and is truly only water resistant. I'd either line it or make a cover as Heidi suggests.

jim

If you are making it yourself,just sew the waterproof liner to the unsewn pieces,then sew them all together.cost 2 yards of wp cloth.

Or you can put a garbage bag in the travel bag,and if you want to use it (g/b) unfold it and put your stuff in it....

After the bag has been sewn together you can get waterproof tape usually at a large camping store ( widest tape you can find (better to stay put)....Also in question is are you using a light weight home sewer (plan on doing a lot of turning by hand),need to minimize layers.

Depending on soft luggage to stay waterproof is a gamble, generally.

If it is important the items stay dry, stashing them in one of the hard bags is indicated. Otherwise, even though they can be an ass-pain, plastic bags are simple and effective way to keep items dry in a non-waterproof soft-luggage.....

Well, I think I'll make up a simple prototype to work out dimensions, etc. Then if I find it useful I'll make it seriously waterproof.

I do my own designs for my stuff but have them professionally sewn cause I can't sew worth a damn.

If you want to make it water resistant as posible. Use the silicon spray stuff (camp dry) on it. Use tape or sealer to seal the seams. Google "seam tape" to get an idea of all the stuff out there. I made some stuff out of the cordra 1000, it should have a urethane coating on the back side which will keep your stuff pretty dry.

Well, I think I'll make up a simple prototype to work out dimensions, etc. Then if I find it useful I'll make it seriously waterproof.
I do my own designs for my stuff but have them professionally sewn cause I can't sew worth a damn.
How about sewing in a roll away/ tuck away cover that's water proof? Have an ultra stretchy border which encloses the whole bag, possibly rack included. Design the leading edge of the bag to be waterproof regardless.

I say go for it and post the results.

I have two seat bags - a Revpack and a Cortech and both have waterproof covers. I'd never go anywhere without the cover. I love the Cortech bag and it's only $70. Best value for money that I found in a very long time. I've put 10's of thousands of miles on the bike with it and it still looks great.

I seem to recall that the Revpack site says that it's waterproof and you don't need the cover (which costs extra) but they sell the covers for the disbelievers like me.

Cortech bag

https://www.whitehorsepress.com/popup_image...=4835&aID=3

Cordura is totally waterproof. It's the seams and zippers that leak. If you design the back with downward facing storm flaps over the zippers and tape and SeamSeal the seams, it shouldn't leak. Also you should use SeamSeal on any place where there is stitching through the fabric.

Wheaton's suggestion about the North Face duffle is spot on. It's a great product.

My solution is the Nelson Rigg CL 150 with the nylon cover. So far no leaks. Check it out here:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...rt=#entry448999