Dodge pickup problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
I brought my son's 2002 Dodge pickup truck up from Camp Lejeune a couple of weeks ago and it ran like a top. I went outside yesterday to start it and the battery was dead. After jump starting it the only way I can keep it running is to have my foot on the gas, it just won't idle. I'm thinking it has to be driven for a couple of miles to reset the computer but I can't even do that. Anybody have an idea of what might have happened here?

I have a 1997 Dakota with the 5.2 V8. When I had a battery going bad it wouldn't idle at all. Strangest thing, but once I put in a new battery it ran great.

First get an OBD ll code reader.

See what it says.

The dodge truck has an Idle control solenoid, maybe the problem. I mean a big MAYBE.

I have chased down problems on my daughter in laws Neon. What a pain in the ass. To make a long drawn out story short. The damn neons have problems with their relays. When trouble shooting with the OBD ll points to every where but the problem. Also a simple bad gas cap can look like a fuel pump problem.

What your going to find out that it will say to start with general maintenance plugs, filters, etc.

There are some good dodge truck forums.

Good luck.

Bob

I have a 1997 Dakota with the 5.2 V8. When I had a battery going bad it wouldn't idle at all. Strangest thing, but once I put in a new battery it ran great.
I have a 2001 Dakota with the 4.7 V8... exact same thing. Jumped it off, wouldn't idle w/o keeping on the gas. Replaced the battery and all was good. Good luck.

I had the thing on a charger overnight but still had the same issue. I had to drop off one of my work vans this AM for service and spoke to my mechanic about it and he seems to also think that the battery needs replacement. I'll leave a set of jumper cables attached to my truck battery as I run it and see if it will maintain idle. If it does, I would imagine that would indicate the need for a new battery. I thought for sure there was some sort of big red reset button under the dash that I could push to make it all right again but I guess not.

easy.jpg

I have chased down problems on my daughter in laws Neon. What a pain in the ass. To make a long drawn out story short. The damn neons have problems with their relays. When trouble shooting with the OBD ll points to every where but the problem. Also a simple bad gas cap can look like a fuel pump problem.
Neon! ...<shudder>....My son has one..a 98. Worst car purchase I've ever made. If it's older than a later 90's vintage (I think) keep and eye on the oil and water usage. They had a big problem with the head gaskets. A mechanic told me it's not a matter of "if" but "when" they will go. And they don't show big time symptoms like most cars.

Also, if it has an automatic trans put a aftermarket trans oil cooler on it and bypass the one built into the radiator. Theres a screen in there that can get clogged up easily and there goes your oil flow and cooling.

As for the original topic...(sorry for the hijack....Neons hit my hot button!) take it to any auto parts store and get them to run a charging system check. Should be a freebee... Suspect bad battery and you're not getting enough juice at idle to keep the ignition system going. Maybe a shorted cell drawing enough current away from the ignition to keep it from running at idle when the alternator doesn't put out as much juice as it does at higher RPM's.

Ray

The PCM in the later model Dodge cars and trucks are very picky about the battery voltage. If you needed to jump start the truck because of a low or dead battery battery, chances are you need to replace it.

I'd take the truck to AutoZone and have them check the battery. If the charge is too low, they won't be able to tet it till it is charged. They can (and are supposed to) pull the battery, if its easily acessible, and put it on the rapid charger then re-test. If it tests bad, then will gladly sell you a new battery and install it for you. And if it tests good, they'll re-install it and check the charging system with the engine running. And all that work is free, company policy. Can you tell I used to work for AutoZone?

As far as the battery being easily accessible, some cars like the Dodge Intrepid and Stratus, have the battery in the front fenderwell. Some yahoo at Damn Near Chrysler thought it was a good idea to put it there so you have to jack the car, and remove the wheel to get to the battery compartment.

Lastly, know what Dodge stands for? I can say this cause I bought my Dodge truck used from a Ford dealer while I was working as a contract employee at a GM plant.

D amned

O ld

D ealer

G ot

E ven

Your pcm needs a re-flash or replacement..Dodge extended the warranty on the pcm's to 8/80 for this very reason, very common issue. I work for a government fleet, see this issue all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
It happened just yesterday morning to my old Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Battery was dead, I jump started it and limped to my local workshop with no idle at all. :angry2:

We put in a new battery and the mechanic said to turn the A/C on, lights, radio etc.

Regular idle (about 650 RPM) was back in minutes and the old V-8 has been running like clockwork since.

When starved of juice the ECU apparently "forgets" all settings. You restore power and start activating various services and it all comes back to the

dumb old ECU.

I know, it sounds like an urban legend but it worked. :rolleyes: While I wait for a more technical explanation, this one'll have to do me...

Stef

I have heard that some GM products need to have the ECU re-flashed if the battery is disconnected. The way to avoid this is to provide power through the cigar lighter while you replace the battery.