Does your 2008 stall giving it gas from Idle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does your 2008 stall giving it gas from Idle

• Yes right now

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No never

• yes but Yamaha fixed it

• yes but I modified it myself

• not an '08 owner

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pull10k

Reaction score
I see a lot of our new '08's have the off Idle blip problem. Let us see how many of us it really is affecting!

Please vote. Thanks!

thanks for the info folks. I added '07's to it and asked the moderator to close this one, here is the Link for the new one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I lied a little. My 2007 stumbled off idle and was most noticeable when blipping the throttle. I never had it actually stall on takeoff, but I do give enough gas to avoid that. I also made sure the idle was high enough to minimize stalling. But what really fixed the stumble when blipping the throttle was the Power Commander III that I installed. I suspect that the excessively lean fuel map that Yamaha is forced to use to meet EPA leads to the stumbling. PC-III allows the use of a more ideal fuel map.

I didn't vote cause I ride an 07, and don't want to corrupt your science...but mine has idle-blip stalled about three times now. Since I lack $300 discretionery, I think I may tick up the idle speed a tad (now at about 1000) to see if that helps. Like most things, a little more attention to the job at hand usually works too.

What Harald said.

(I don't have a 2008, but have owned a 2003 and a 2005).

The FI map gets leaner and leaner to meet emission standards. Good ole PC-III will fix that for ya.

Stef

Hasn't died since I had Yammy up the rpm to 1100 at idle. Did it a few times before that though.

Not a 2008 but my 2005 did it once when I blipped the throttle in neutral.

I had mine stall this evening after sitting what felt like 4 or 5 minutes at a light. Sat so long that the fan kicked on. Normally just start to roll into the throttle when releasing the clutch. This time though, it lurched a inch then died. The only other time that this happens, it is when it has sat for a little bit of time and heat soaked the fuel lines, then try to take off. If I wait for a minute or so, this will not happen. And yes, I did vote.

Dan

You should add another "answer" to your poll:

How many have had the problem since raising the idle speed to the recommended 1100 rpms?

IMO, far to many owners try to idle the FJR at 950-1000 rpms (Yes, I speak as a guilty Gen I owner who has learned a difficult lesson.). The FJR really responds much better to the idle being set at 1100 rpms. I wonder how many FJRs are delivered with the idle set at 1000 rpms or below?

mine would die in neatural from cracking the throtlle, idle was set at 1100rpms, still did it. Put the PC III on, PROBLEM CURED!

sorry i would have done it anyway, but it did fix the problem.

I have an 08 but I can't vote because none of the replies fit. mine stalled whenever i blipped the throttle. but as it broke in it did it less and less until about 400 miles it quit. i have the idle set at 1100 exactly by my snap on scope.

I have not had it stall off idle. I did have some wierd "I wanna sound like i'm trying to die then come on strong when the throttle was opened up" the other day after I washed her and was warming her up. After she dried out, all was well.

Idle is at about 1000-1100

Greg

No vote because mine is an '07 too, but I also have the stumble with quick blips. It never stalled though. I raised the idle to 1,200, and it's almost gone now. Problem with the PCIII is it drops fuel economy dramatically, and I need the range I have now. It's not that bothersome anymore, but still unacceptable for a new machine. Good day folks.

JC

Mine dies usually when I blip the throttle. But was told this is normal. I don't worry about it and don't blip anymore. Never had any issues with it dying when rolling the throttle on from idle. Not sure if the survey is for blipping issues or roll on and stalling issue.

Scott

have an '08 w/3000 miles, voted no never.

the idle has always been 1000-1100 when warmed up.

I've wondered if I'm just really tolerant or lucky. About this and other things I read on the forum. I'm really happy with the bike. I'm considering the Spencer seat mod but after moving the bars back closer to me, adding grip puppies, driver peg extenders and a throttle rocker I'm very happy. Just finished 2200+ miles over 5 days across KS and through CO and loved it....but (t) that trip did lead to the consideration of Spencer's mod on the stock seat.

My 06 stalled quite a bit when new with the delivered 900 RPM idle. Reset it to 1200 and it not only cured the stalling problem but makes a little smoother transition from throttle off to throttle on in the corners.

Status
Not open for further replies.