Doing 1000 miles in 24 hours

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunMD

Reaction score
The following was written by James R. Davis. Link to his site will follow. This guy has some pretty evil things to say about the IBA's 1000 in 24 rides.

Touring the country on two-wheels is a pleasure. Seeing the sights, meeting the locals, experiencing the diversity of cultures that exist only a few hundred miles away from where you normally hang your hat - these are part of what 'quality of life' means to those of us that regularly hit the roads with our motorcycles.
Note that most of those things require that you actually get off your motorcycle from time to time. But there are people that REALLY put mileage on their motorcycles, in as little time as possible - and honestly feel as if that is what constitutes 'quality of life' for them. Some do both kinds of distance riding described above.

This article may well read like a slam at one of those kinds of people. Instead, it is merely a reflection of my biases and an attempt to put into perspective some sobering realities about traveling long distances with the hope that the reader will at least know what he is facing if he decides to participate.

From my experience on the roads I have concluded that automobiles tend to average about 60 MPH on long trips while motorcyclists tend to average about 45 MPH even though while actually moving both may travel in excess of 70 MPH. Note that this includes all the time they are actually trying to make progress going from one place to another and includes pit stops of all kinds. What it does not include is the time from the last stop of the day until the vehicles resume their travels the next day.

In other words, if you wanted to average 600 miles per day on a multi-day trip, it is quite likely that you will be riding more than 13 hours each day. In the case of a 700 mile day it will be more like 16 hours. Assuming you have weather problems or other road conditions to have to deal with, it is possible to take upwards of 20 hours to do 700 miles in a single day.

It turns out that most experienced riders I know can rather easily do a 13-hour day on the road, but very few of them could do 20 (or even 16). But after a few 13-hour days you will be exhausted. Indeed, studies have shown that even experienced long-distance riders find that after the second day of riding their stamina begins to fail and they are only able to accomplish about 65% as long a ride on their seventh day as they averaged during their first two days out. Therein lies my concern - stamina.

Even the driver of a cage is essentially a passenger as compared to a motorcycle rider. It is not unfair to argue that one rides in a car and drives a motorcycle. And it takes far more skill and alertness to handle a motorcycle. After 16 hours of driving a motorcycle at least mental alertness has become history for most of us.

Still, at least for the first day or two this pace is accomplishable - many of us have done it, enjoyed it, and lived to tell others about it.

But I am posting this message for those of you that have not done it and are considering your first long trip. I would like to suggest that you arrange your itinerary so that you average something closer to 350-400 miles per day rather than 600. Further, that you make the early days on the road the longer ones. Besides being easier and safer for all concerned, this pace gives you plenty of time to visit the sights you encounter, and to meet the locals, as it were.

There is an infamous award that is well known amongst those of us on two-wheels. It is called the 'Iron-Butt Award' (some call it the 'Lead-Butt Award'.) This is provided in exchange for proof that you have traveled 1,000 miles in any one 24-hour period while on the roads. Like motorcycle racing on the public roads, this 'event' tends to be a self-correcting problem and therefore, in my opinion, should be avoided like the plague by most motorcyclists. It seems to me that there is nothing macho about flashing that award around. Rather, it is like advertising and being proud about having done something stupid. [Quick note to those that think I just called all who have earned such an award 'stupid' - I did not. I said that doing 1,000 miles in 24 hours is stupid. Not all those that have done so are mentally deficient, by any means. I am not stupid but I have done more than a few stupid things in my life.]

The Iron Butt Association®, a group that sponsors such events, is actually a very safety-oriented group. They preach the good word, and they do all that they can to encourage safe practices during the rides. They strongly advocate proper conditioning of the riders, proper attention to the mechanical condition of their motorcycles, respect for speed laws, etc. They even make available (at least they used to) rather valuable Tips to everyone who might want to do some long distance rides. Unfortunately, because some people can handle doing 1,000 miles in 24 hours does not in any way mean that most can.

I once laid out a tour to cover 23 States in 21 days. It averaged about 350 miles per day. I cannot image, frankly, wanting to even see a motorcycle for a week after such a trip. I will not plan a tour like that again, but it was satisfying to know it could be done.

I think most of us who have some experience with our motorcycles can handle a number of such days in a row just fine. I think that nobody can handle even one 1,000-mile day safely, despite months of preparation and training, and the fact that most who try manage to survive the effort. Many motorcyclists, it should be understood, cannot do even 350 miles in a single 24 hour period - safely!

[One little tip for anyone contemplating a LONG tour: if you can droop your elbows while you ride you will find that your wrists and forearms will not be anywhere near as sore or tired as they would be otherwise. If your bike is designed such that you must lean forward and essentially straight-arm the grips, you will have fatigue problems very early on into your trip.]

Anyway, let's go back to the idea of doing 1,000 miles in 24-hours. It is certainly doable, as you only have to average about 42 MPH (including pit stops) to do so. Assuming you can average 50 MPH, you could do it in a 'mere' 20 hours.

So, people who really want to earn that award often go to extraordinary efforts to increase their average speeds including, for example, cutting down the number of required pit stops by about half by carrying additional fuel with them in auxiliary tanks. Now if you could legally drive at 100 MPH, and neither you nor your motorcycle were forced to make any stops, you could earn the award in only 10 hours. But the reality is that YOU will average closer to 50 MPH if you try it. That means about 20 hours.

I don't believe anyone is sufficiently alert after riding their motorcycle for 20 hours to constitute being other than a hazard to themselves and those around them.

Though it is no doubt a rush to accomplish this feat (1,000 miles in 24 hours), that is not the same as saying it is worthwhile - or safe to try. Truckers have laws that proscribe the number of hours and miles they can legally drive on our highways. Wonder why? [it was reported that the 'winner' of the 1999 Iron-Butt run claimed to have been hallucinating towards the end of his ride.]

I have done my share of LONG tours and have certainly done over 600 miles in a single day. I knew, despite decades of experience preceding that effort that I was not sufficiently alert towards the end to constitute being other than a moving hazard towards the end of it. Nevertheless, I felt a sense of pride in having accomplished (actually, at the time, of having survived) that effort. In retrospect, it was not very smart nor was it safe - and I knew it at the time.

If, for whatever reason, you get yourself involved in an accident while trying to earn the Iron-Butt Award you will have no excuse if somebody (other than you) dies as a result. Pride in the 'accomplishment' quickly turns to life-long guilt.

If it is imperative for someone to reach 1,000 miles (or more) in a 24 hour period of time, then it is my opinion that it be done in a controlled environment. Why not rent a race track, for example?

Here is a link to his web site...click on item number 38 in the left column

Interesting article. I agree with him on a lot of counts. The majority of riders, myself included, have no business attempting to cram 1000 miles into 24hrs.

But not all riders are the same. There are some who can safely accomplish, and enjoy and Iron Butt. There are others who can't manage 100 miles in a day.

I believe that the writer is cautioning the unwary not to try an Iron Butt without knowing what they are getting into.

Jill

Interesting article. I agree with him on a lot of counts. The majority of riders, myself included, have no business attempting to cram 1000 miles into 24hrs.
But not all riders are the same. There are some who can safely accomplish, and enjoy and Iron Butt. There are others who can't manage 100 miles in a day.

I believe that the writer is cautioning the unwary not to try an Iron Butt without knowing what they are getting into.

Jill
I agree with your opinion about it not being for everyone. But like any event that requires some preparation you can certainly mitigate the risks in large part. The author seems to assume that he's the only one that realizes that it's not for everyone and seems to believe that those who attempt it are irresponsible. I disagree. I think it's safer and more manageable than many other events. Is hiking/ climbing up the side of a mountain without the proper training and preparation safe and sane? Not really, but many do it...and by doing so they put others (search and rescue personnel) into harms way. For those who plan and prepare it can be quite safe and rewarding...and Iron Butt rides are the very same way.

I'm still looking over this guy's web site...I wonder what kind of bike he rides and if it's outfitted for LD riding??

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this guy has a stick up his ass. He is under the notion that because he doesn't know of people personally that have any kind of endurance, no one does. This is the same type of personality that feels all motorcyclist are suicidal because they don't understand why anyone would want to ride.

I'd say more, but he's not worth the energy I've already wasted on this reply....

It's OK folks,

just another dude who can't walk the walk so he "TALKS" anyone who will listen into believing such things are insane and please write me back to verify I'm not spineless.<G>

These guys pop up every year, like Mormon crickets. Let them die, pay no mind.

Thanks though to Gun for showing us a new one. Always good to see some poor schmoe make a case for mediocrity.

GZ

I think this guy has a stick up his ass.
+1 He's fulla
poop2.gif

Geez, I had quotes & rebuttal arguments all over the place, hundreds of words long, before I realized there is a short answer to this dude.

You think, because you couldn't ride more than 350 miles a day, that everyone should be limited to what you used to be able to accomplish.

You feel pride in your limited accomplishments, but condemn anyone else for that same feeling.

Yes, the article reads as a reflection of your biases, at least you are honest enough to say that up front before you make lots of assertions based upon your limited ability.

He may not understand that the bike you ride has alot to do with how pleasurable the miles are... What bike was/is he riding I wonder ?

(edit)

Just noticed this at his website, he's a 'paid witness' - I guess that about sums it up folks ! (/edit)

ExpertWitness.gif

I think more importantly, he's probably never had a comfortable touring motorcycle. He may *think* that he has had one but obviously that's not the case.

1k miles certainly has it's risks but when properly planned for it's not all that difficult.

Granted that type of riding isn't for everyone.

For me personally, unless there's a goal in mind (like getting around a great lake, or there's some specific reason to get to point B 1000 miles away like a rally bonus point, it can be some pretty boring ass riding.

Ever watch Olympic Ski Jumping? Do you think these guys start out jumping 500+feet at 65 mph? LD riding is just like any other sport; you train up to it. Some will never be as good as others but everyone can improve their performance. The right equipment helps but is no substitute for practice and training. Follow the guidelines on the IBA website, learn for other riders and train. Most of all, have fun

Paul Peloquin

Monmouth OR

"Grant me the SERENITY to accept the THINGS I can not CHANGE; the COURAGE to change the Things I CAN; and the WISDOM to KNOW the Difference."

That's my response to the above essay!! Nuff said!!

Guy's like this can be very dangerous, "Motorcycle Safety Expert Witness". He's the kind of person Special Interest Groups trot out to proclaim all kinds of bad things," So We must pass a Law."

I would sure like to know Who bestowed such lofty credentials on him and what He did to earn it.

Today, while walking, I fell over and broke my leg. Scary stuff that walking business. I highly recommend you give it up, real dangerous it is. :lol:

I think we have a new candidate running for Office of the President- President of the Candy-Ass riders. If I do less than 2-300 miles when I pull out the bike to "go-out" for a while (trips to the store not withstanding) I don't feel like I went anyplace.

$20 says he is a bar hopping friday night cruiser "expert"

For me personally, unless there's a goal in mind (like getting around a great lake, or there's some specific reason to get to point B 1000 miles away like a rally bonus point, it can be some pretty boring ass riding.
+1

Personally, I didn't the SS1k was that bad. I wonder what he would say about a BBG?

I looked over his website as well. He looks like a self rightious fellow and the MSF teachings are wrong on a lot of accounts.

Prob the things that ya'll agree with in his post are the things he took from the IB site. like the fatigue factor on consecutive days.

You know I kinda agree with some parts of what he says. I know I’m not cut out to do 1000 miles days, especially for several days in a row. I’d be a danger to myself and others. But I’m okay with only going 400-600 a day…guess I’ll never get my IBA # and I can live with that. However there seems to be people that can do it and really enjoy it. I haven’t been hearing anything in the media about problems resulting from l/d rallies so what’s the problem?

I also kinda have a problem with self appointed ‘experts’ telling me what’s good for me, what I should or shouldn’t do. My definition of an expert is ‘past tense of a spurt’.

You know I kinda agree with some parts of what he says. I know I’m not cut out to do 1000 miles days, especially for several days in a row. I’d be a danger to myself and others. But I’m okay with only going 400-600 a day…guess I’ll never get my IBA # and I can live with that. However there seems to be people that can do it and really enjoy it. I haven’t been hearing anything in the media about problems resulting from l/d rallies so what’s the problem?
I also kinda have a problem with self appointed ‘experts’ telling me what’s good for me, what I should or shouldn’t do. My definition of an expert is ‘past tense of a spurt’.
Whoa is it a full moon in cyber land? Tried to edit this twice after it doubled the text??

The hopefully readable repost: