Don't trust my Snap On torque wrench

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seventyss

Reaction score
I have a 3/8" 15-100 ft lb torque wrench which I don't feel comfortable using because it doesn't release at the same point all the time. Does it need to be lubricated? Does this mean that the wrench needs to be repaired? If it can't be repaired what would be a decent $100 replacement wrench?

Check their warranty on tork wrenches and as the Snap-on dealer ( the guy that sells in the snap-on truck to shops) to warrant it for you.

Torque wrenches can be cleaned, lubricated and calibrated; there are also tolerances to be considered (should be listed in the literature of the wrench) and the tolerances tend to be wider at the extremes (higher at the lower and higher ends of the wrench's capacity; percentage wise).

Bought this wrench used and don't have any paperwork, it's a QJR 2100 D. I will check on line and see if I can find anything about lubrication (couldn't find anything on oiling the wrench on the web). Curious what others are using.

Last edited by a moderator:
Torque wrenches can be cleaned, lubricated and calibrated; there are also tolerances to be considered (should be listed in the literature of the wrench) and the tolerances tend to be wider at the extremes (higher at the lower and higher ends of the wrench's capacity; percentage wise).
Also, after you use it -- turn it back to '0'

I have a 3/8" 15-100 ft lb torque wrench which I don't feel comfortable using because it doesn't release at the same point all the time. Does it need to be lubricated? Does this mean that the wrench needs to be repaired? If it can't be repaired what would be a decent $100 replacement wrench?

It's a Snap On. They'll replace it for free if they find it defective!

Water is 8.2 lbs/gal at room temp. If you have a bolt clamped tightly in a bench vise that the torque wrench is on, then hang a 5 gallon water bag (add it to total) exactly 12" from the center of the bolt, you can check calibration on your own. I've done this and found it accurate after putting a socket under the head of the torque wrench so the wrench didn't twist off the bolt.

Or just check it against a simple bending beam torque wrench.

https://www.srtorque.com/tabeam.html

You probably should send it in to be serviced / calibrated. That will be cheaper than a new one from Snap On. That way you know and can trust the wrench, especially if you don't know how the PO treated it. Besides they should be checked periodically.

In addition to turning it to '0', when you next use it, as recommended by many manufacturers, always cycle it 3 or 4 times at a low torque to redistribute any lube and any potential corrosion in the workings. But, sounds like you should recal to have a known starting point.

All precision tools need to be periodically calibrated and properly stored. We used to have s/n on each torque wrench, dial indicator, etc. and the tool cage kept detailed records of when each item had to be sent in for its annual calibration. Pilots, crew, and other affected personnel can be kinda picky like that about how their jet engines are reworked.

I like the example of testing the wrench using the water weight or any weight. I have an in-lbs and ft-lbs wrench from Craftsman. I routinley test them against each other just for peace of mind. The mechanic at work said that some of the Snap On trucks have some sort of calibration device on board. I don't know if this is true but it might be worth a look if you see a Snap On truck.

Give Hall Tools a call and see if they can test/repair/calibrate it for you or have a suggestion on where to go. Hall Tool Snap on is franchise sold via the trucks, so no easy over the counter sales or place to go.

Or, give PPI Group a call. I use them for machinist tool repair and calibration. PPI

With Snap-on torque wrenches the calibration is warrantied for one year from date of original purchase. The ratchet head would be warrantied for life. If you compared a Snap-on torque wrench to an SK, Craftsman or Chinese made tool (swap meet or tool show) torque wrench the difference is easy to see. If you are using it at the lower limits of the scale it can be difficult to "feel the click". Also the treads should be clean and lubricated, both of these help get a proper torque reading. Storage of the torque wrench, if it is not the "torsion bar" or split beam style, is recommended to be set at the lower 10 % of the scale do not run it down below the minimum reading until the handle stops turning. Running the wrench up and down through the calibration range a couple of times might not be a bad idea then see if repeats on a nut and bolt set into a vise. If the wrench needs to be recalibrated it is worth the investment IMHO.