Doug Hines 06 Riser Recall;

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

painman

Reaction score
I got notice of a recall from Doug Hines for a recall of the 06 risers. Anyone else get this also? PM. <>< :blink:

Painman, I also received the recall, and have communicated with Doug -

He simply does not want the liability for these- personally, I think mine are fine, I've got just over 600 miles on them, and they seem perfect -

You have to admit that Doug is a stand up guy - he's going to take it in the shorts financially on these - and yet he's willing to do it to protect his customers, as well as his reputation.

So - Doug knows the problem exists in some of the units - but rather than wait for failures to happen, he's pulling them.

Kudos to Doug.

The problem in question is that some of the stainless steel studs that secure the bars broke during installation. Sounds like maybe a couple of them. One person complained of a cap screw had broken. The first batch was made and then the second batch was made using the same computer program but by another machinist. Seems Doug experimented with torques ect. and found no problems but was not comfortable with the few problems so decided to recall all the units back. I know he is taking a loss in this and the guy is a strait shooter. My risers seem fine and had no problems. My personal opinion is when installing the unit you have to make really sure the fasteners are in a complete alinment and not in a bind. I think those that broke might have been in a bind. There was a warning in the instructions about this matter from the beginning. Just not sure what to do at this point. PM. <>< :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read the post that Doug made on another thread explaining what happened and what he is doing. I agree that he is a stand up guy. I'd gladly deal with him for anything he makes that I might want.

I've read the post that Doug made on another thread explaining what happened and what he is doing. I agree that he is a stand up guy. I'd gladly deal with him for anything he makes that I might want.

I agree, Doug is a stand up guy that I'll gladly deal with again if he produces any other items. As a fabricator of a rack for the 06 I know this is a tough pill to swallow, and it goes far beyond the money, it is more about the inconvience this may cause other members. I guess I'm one of the lucky one in the fact I haven't installed mine yet. Thanks for the effort Doug! I know how much work goes into making a product for other members of the FJR community.

You guys are correct "Doug is a stand up guy". I've met him personally, since he lives in my area. If you could see his surroundings, it wouldn't take you long to know this guy likes things a certain way or else. You can eat off his garage floor and every tool on the board has an outline for it.

If he is recalling something, you can bet he has thought about it long and hard and this is the right thing to do. We would hope he can correct any problems and return with a great product as usual.