Draggin Bags?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy S

Reaction score
A friend who has a Gen 1 FJR is said (by others) to have routinely dragged the bags of the FJR in corners. Is this possible or is it an urban legend being built? I looked at both sides, and it seems like a lot of hard parts would drag first. He has since sold it so I cannot check it out on his bike. Anyone?

I did drag my left bag. Then I walked hobbled over and picked my FJR up and pushed it to the side of the road.

Uhm....this "trick" was done to expand the cumulative knowledge of the FJR Forum (and other related websites) and is not suggested behavior for normal street riding (unseen water "trail" in a turning lane).

Slapnpop said it best:

Otherwise there are a few metal parts first.
The mufflers will touch before the panniers. DO NOT DO THIS! Mufflers leveraging the tires off the road surface is NOT a good thing. IMHO: If you are going to ride at this level you would be taking your chances for street riding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your friend perhaps??

big_joint1.jpg

Mike and Rog pretty much covered what happens when ya "drag yer bag"..

:jester:

Yup, Muffler hits WAY BEFORE the bag - then you low side when the rear wheel is jacked up off the ground.Deb and I know this :eek:

On the right side the rear brake lever pivot will hit before the muffler as well. After you do that enough times you can wear down the pivot and touch the muffler. Not a goal but it happens.

A friend who has a Gen 1 FJR is said (by others) to have routinely dragged the bags of the FJR in corners. Is this possible or is it an urban legend being built? I looked at both sides, and it seems like a lot of hard parts would drag first. He has since sold it so I cannot check it out on his bike. Anyone?

Bull shit...... The pegs will hit first and break rear tire off ground. Unless hes on a uneven surface then maybe....

Bull shit...... The pegs will hit first and break rear tire off ground. Unless hes on a uneven surface then maybe....

Hey you poser!!!!....... get rid of that avatar....... :yahoo: :yahoo:

... I don't care how ugly and slow your new Busa is.... :dribble:

I will let you ride with me...... if'n you try to keep up...... :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

B

I don't think that's possible, but I do remember reading here about a guy who scratched is headlight covers while doing stoppies! :p

I have personally witnessed an FJR drag its bag.
Right into a ditch.
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Too funny!

I think some unfortunate guy posted something here recently about going down twice on his FJR -- once on each side -- and the bags helping to prevent even more bodily injury. In that case, I guess there is some good to dragging a bag.

Well, it is possible to drag the bags.

Simply take them off the bike, attach a rope to the handles, then the rack.

Then go for a ride.

I know the footpeg feelers on mine hit first, and now the crash bars on the front drag long before the bags do.

Unless one did some height or geometry changes to the bike?