Draggin' Jeans or Bohn Armored Pants?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DELETE-PLEASE

Reaction score
Gonna get some protective pants-wear-thingies when I get back. For myself and for the wife-to-be. So given the option, which would be better? I like the convenience of being able to mix and match jeans with the bohn armor that goes under the pants, but if the draggin' jeans is better quality and more likely to save my ass (pun intended), I'll just wear those when I ride. What do you think?

Alexi

I wear both. I do not like the Draggin' Jeans armor. It is always shifting. The Bohrn is thin some sort of nylon and has hip pads, tail bone and knee support. The pants will prevent rash, but do nothing for impact. Both work well. Look at Slider, Cathart and Diamond Gusset Jeans too, they are thicker and I like them at a lower price point.

I had some Draggin' jeans that did well against Arkansas finest asphalt in October of '08. However, I did not have armor...so I have since gotten a Tourmaster 2-piece suit.

Kevlar jeans...good for sliding. Obviously you need some good armour for impacts.

I've got some Draggin Jeans for warm weather use. First, the generous abrasion pads aren't very comfortable on the knees and they are surprisingly hot, too. I do like the prospects of abrasion resistance in a get-off but wanted some impact protection besides. The Draggin armor doesn't stay put, as mentioned above, and because it is right against your skin, it is uncomfortable in the heat. I found a simple solution. I have a set of Aerostich pads leftover from an old Roadcrafter suit. The knee pads are a perfect fit inside the jean's knee protection panels. I just opened the top seam on the knee panels about 2/3 of the way across and slipped the knee pads in. Voila! Good abrasion protection, excellent impact protection and the pads stay put. It looks a little odd when standing or walking - kinda like an old quarterback after four knee surgeries - but it's not too strange.

If I were looking to buy a similar trouser today, I'd look at the Aerostich Argorwear Gussetted Canvas Pants which come with purpose-built knee pads.

pete :glasses:

Which ever one you choose.....

Just wear um!!

My armored/cortex riding pants saved my ass (literally) a whole lotta skin replacement last Summer!

WW

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep the comments comming guys. I'm leaning to First Gear as I have their Jacket and like the zip attachment between pants and jacket to keep my jacket from sliding up while road surfing. Then again I may go all out for new by next year.

Thanks

Scooper

I have a few draggin' jeans.

I always wear some sort of wicking layer under mine, so no issues with feeling of inside of jeans.

I didn't like the armor that came with it either, and I use a couple different ones instead, depending on the jeans. The regular jeans are slimmer than the cargos, so the MX armor I usually wear doesn't fit so well, so use Forcefield instead. I like them because they are snug to the knee and not attached to the jeans.

The thing I've not done yet is find good hip armor. I have the Forcefield shorts, but the jeans seem to be a bit tight in the hips. At some point I'll either 1) find smaller under shorts or 2) buy a size bigger jeans and get a belt or something.

Small write up on the knee armor I have HERE

one quick thing I just remembered about Draggin.... is that the product seemed to differ slightly in terms of kevlar coverage between ones made in the US and ones made in Oz, where the aussie ones had better coverage. I have the ones made in Oz, so can't speak for US made ones. (purchased in the UK tho).

Don't see any coverage pics on the US site, but the .net site has some which look similar to what I've got.

I have a pair of Draggin Jeans that I like a lot, except as mentioned above, no impact protection. I bought and quickly returned a pair of Sliders from Competition Accessories because of totally inadequate kevlar coverage in the knees - sitting on my bike, the kevlar did not go low enough as it barely covered my knee caps. I say Sliders no, and Draggin Jeans yes.

The Aerostich jeans with the knee pad pocket has no other protection, none on the butt.

Ron

I wear both. I do not like the Draggin' Jeans armor. It is always shifting. The Bohrn is thin some sort of nylon and has hip pads, tail bone and knee support. The pants will prevent rash, but do nothing for impact. Both work well. Look at Slider, Cathart and Diamond Gusset Jeans too, they are thicker and I like them at a lower price point.
It's Spandex buddy...the same stuff that was way popular with the big haired girls in the 80's. :rolleyes:

That being said I have the Bohn pants and like them a lot but I wear them under my Sliders jeans so that I get the benefits of both the armor in the Bohns and the Kevlar in the Sliders. The Sliders tend to run a little big so the Bohn pants fit well under them and you can't really tell except for the tailbone pad which can be a little uncomfortable but can also be removed. The combo of the two above is my "warm weather" set-up but as it gets colder I switch to regular Tourmaster overpants.

Under the category of Too Much Info...my wife digs it when I have just the Bohn pants on ;)

Might want to throw the Duluth Trading Company firehouse jeans into that mix.

I just got a pair of these and I like them for short rides around town when I don't want to put on the Cycleport overpants. They're pretty warm too, with the fleece lining, and much tougher than any denim, just in case. And they call them "Fire HOSE" jeans, as in heavy, fire hose fabric-type material. When I do wear the Cycleports, the Duluth jeans are underneath, at least till it warms up.