Draggin Jeans Us Vs Au Vs Hood Jeans

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fieldsher

Reaction score
About to buy aramid lined Hood jeans. Anyone seen any independent studies on the abrasion resistance of Kevlar lined (Draggin Jeans) vs aramid? FWIW, just noticed that Competition Access is now offering a brand named Sliders which have the Draggin Jeans AU coverage (Kevlar) for $80. Problem is no knee armor is offered and I'd like knee armor.

Thanks, George

Kevlar was developed by Dupont in 1965 and brought it to the market in 1972. Kevlar is an aramid fiber, also known as aromatic polyamide.

This may or may not help.

Clicky

Anyway, no difference.

Get what you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assumed the aramid was a generic Kevlar but Draggin Jeans Au claims the Hood Jeans aramid has only 30% the abrasion resistance of Kevlar. If true, that's a huge difference and compelling reason to go for Kevlar. Perhaps I'm obsessing here...

George

Kevlar is a great material, very strong, lightweight and so on. You all know that. It has one downside though. It has to be used in applications where it is fixed in position. Like resins. Kevlar doesn't like to be bend. If it bends, it gets brittle and basically falls apart, loosing all its strength. So while it works great in applications like hard knuckle protectors in gloves, it is useless when it gets sewed into something like jeans. Now I don't know how it is used in these particular jeans you mention, this may be something you want to keep in the back of your mind while making a choice.

Kevlar is a great material, very strong, lightweight and so on. You all know that. It has one downside though. It has to be used in applications where it is fixed in position. Like resins. Kevlar doesn't like to be bend. If it bends, it gets brittle and basically falls apart, loosing all its strength. So while it works great in applications like hard knuckle protectors in gloves, it is useless when it gets sewed into something like jeans. Now I don't know how it is used in these particular jeans you mention, this may be something you want to keep in the back of your mind while making a choice.
I, unfortunately, have had the bad luck to go down while wearing Draggin' Jeans. It wasn't bad luck I was wearing them--but going down on the street is NEVER good! They performed wonderfully well--they weren't even torn. My knee had a few scratches, from the Kevlar lining on the knees, and was a little bruised, but that was all.

Meanwhile my right ankle was saved from being broken by AlpineStar Tourer boots (the best boots I've ever owned), leaving me with a SERIOUSLY sprained ankle--enough to require over a month of P/T. And, of course, my right shoulder was posteriorly dislocated.

Still have and wear the jeans! They are a lot hotter, though, than regular jeans.

Still have and wear the jeans!  They are a lot hotter, though, than regular jeans.
Yanktar,

Sounds like your spill could have been a lot worse without the gear you had. I realize that comment is kind of a "DUH", but I think the fact that PROTECTIVE GEAR WORKS needs to be highlighted, as some discussions on this forum downplay the need or effectivness of said gear.

On your comment that Draggin' Jeans are a lot hotter, I have to say living here in Arizona with plenty of heat, I have only noticed a slight increase in heat. I am not coming home all sweated out and I have even left my Draggin' Jeans on after a ride and worked around outside and inside the house very comfortably. It's probably just a relative opinion anyway. I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying "a lot" was a little strong for me. :agent:

It may be a lot hotter because here heat inevitably brings high humidity. They like to talk about the "heat index" here "It's gonna be 98 degrees but with the humidity the heat index will make it feel like 118!". Since I've never lived anyplace where you get your famous Arizona "dry heat", it makes the heat index seem like so much BS. From upstate NY to central NC, when it gets into the 90's and up, the humidity always seems like it's 110%!

But you are right--I gave my DJs the DUH test--do they WORK in a crash? Yes, they worked!

I wear draggin jeans as well, in South Texas heat & humidity; for me, a little warmer than standard jeans.....

With regard to the Au versions, I remember reading threads at other sites where the buyer claimed the denim itself was a heavier grade/thicker...any truth to that? I was interested until I saw they were only available in black...that is too hot for me...although I never confirmed the above info....and I already had a US pair that I have been happy with.

We bought Draggon Jeans at the Honda Hoot, and wore them home. I didn't care for the "Abrasive" feel of the Kevlar in the knee area when walking. Anyhow I went to VMD here in Ohio and saw the same guy that sold me them at the Hoot. Said I needed to wash em 5 times using softener. Since then they're very comfy, and only slightly warmer than a regular set of jeans.

Kevlar is a great material, very strong, lightweight and so on. You all know that. It has one downside though. It has to be used in applications where it is fixed in position. Like resins. Kevlar doesn't like to be bend. If it bends, it gets brittle and basically falls apart.
Sounds like somebody is confusing Kevlar with carbon fiber. Kevlar woven into a cloth format is very flexible, very strong and very abrasion resistant. Variations of it are used in bullet proof vests and car tires.

Kevlar is a great material, very strong, lightweight and so on. You all know that. It has one downside though. It has to be used in applications where it is fixed in position. Like resins. Kevlar doesn't like to be bend. If it bends, it gets brittle and basically falls apart.
Sounds like somebody is confusing Kevlar with carbon fiber. Kevlar woven into a cloth format is very flexible, very strong and very abrasion resistant. Variations of it are used in bullet proof vests and car tires.
Nope. Kevlar is all that you describe, if used in application where it doesn't bend much. A bullitproof vest is an application where it will work wonders, but that is also an application where it doesn't get bend a lot. Tires same thing (provided they are inflated properly) Knee pads in jeans typically do get bend a lot, like when you sit down it on your bike, it bends over 90 degrees. It doesn't go brittle overnight, but it will age relatively quick and lose it's protective characteristics.

I have and wear Draggin' Jeans and have been down in them - you can check out my story on that over at Webbikeworld(in the "user comments" section of their review)

I always wear them with armor underneath, and they are a little hot, but I'm willing to put up with it.