Drive shaft seal leak

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Morrow

Reaction score
On a recent cross country trip, I noticed that occasionally, I was finding oil dripped onto the ground below the joint where the final drive connects to the drive shaft housing. Oddly, it was not consistent each day. Some days I would see it mid-day at a lunch stop and at the end of the day. Other days there was nothing. I watched the crankcase level and over the course of about 8,400 miles I added about 3/4 of a quart of oil. IIRC, I added oil on 3 or 4 different days.

When I got home, I double checked the final drive fluid and it's right where it's supposed to be - just where it was when I left on the trip. I haven't pulled the final drive yet.

So, has anyone else had this and how big of a deal is it going to be to replace the seal ?

My bike is a 2003 FJR with about 285,000 Km's / 177,000 miles on the odometer.

Smell the oil..... gear oil has a distinctive odour. If engine oil, maybe you have a seal leak at the intermediate gear drive.... you'd likely see oil at the left footpeg area. Pull the final drive off and take a peek is what you have to do to further diagnose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was there oil at the joint; it wouldn't have to be a drip (but wet)? If no, I wouldn't worry about it; if it dropped a so-occasional drip, I wouldn't worry about that either. I'd leave it alone.

The Forum has seen a couple of engine output seals leak. I have ridden with a guy that had an engine output seal leak that was leaking real bad, it was hosing his rear tire making for a scary ride. The area around the universal gets oil thrown everywhere. The fix is difficult enough that we will assume it's not your problem until proven otherwise :)

I just pulled the final drive (FD) and had a good look around inside the shaft housing and the end of the FD. While it looked a bit oily throughout, it tended to be wettest at the FD end. I would call that good news at this point. I have a ride planned in September so, I gave the whole works a really good cleaning to give me a bit of a baseline for future inspections. I took a toothbrush ( sure hope my girlfriend isn't reading this ), clamped it to a stick and with some degreaser made it all spic & span.

PS : Cdn FJR, I rode right past your door a couple of weeks ago on my way from Cape Breton to the Pictou ferry to PEI.

And I was on vaca. I could have showed you some nice roads and bought you a coffee.

Be sure to touch base if in my neck of the woods again.

Good luck with your leak.

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR, when you removed the coupler from the pumpkin, how did you lock the gears so the nut would turn?

I tried putting the wheel on the bench and putting the pumpkin on the wheel, and locking the wheel down but the pumpkin spins. Locking that down is a little tougher.

I just found this page detailing the tear down of a Venture final drive. It appears to identical to the FJR. Very informative. But, they use a special Yamaha tool to lock down the gears to remove the nut.

https://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/?action=article&cat_id=001006&id=383

Latest posts