Driver Backrest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Parr

Reaction score
I have looked around but have not seen a driver's backrest for the 1300. Is there one? Or is there not one because of the way the driver sits?

I put a Bak-Up on my '04 BMW 1150RT, loved it. The pad tilted for some minor adjustments to your back end. Install was easy, just removed 2 or 3 stock bolts/nuts, added Bak-Up and redid fasteners. FJR install would be different since I don't see the similar bolt/nuts in that location.

If you upgrade to the Russel seat, they modify the pax seat for installation of a drivers backrest.

They install a receiver to the underside of the rear seat that the drivers back rest slides into. Nothing has to be removed for installation.

The backrest stores easily into the side bags if you want to remove it during a ride.

If you're a tall, larger person you will probably appreciate the back rest during longer rides. My son, who has a younger and stronger back, can't stand it whenever he borrows the bike.

Go to the Russel website for a good picture.

Kevin

I lean against my Nelson Rigg tourpack stuffed to the gills with styrofoam peanuts bungeed to the passenger seat in front of my Yammy trunk...

feels great with my AVCC cruise (thanx Walter WFooshee) and my highway pegs (thanx whats ya name Terry???)...

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

I believe I had one of the first driver backrests made for the FJR back in 03 by Rich in Seattle. Like Russell, Rich will add a receiver to the driver's seat that accepts the stinger for an adjustable driver's backrest. Its all built with mild steel and is very heavy duty. Those that know me know it has to be. :rolleyes:

HMarc took some photos at the first WFO: Rich's seat w/ backrest. Last two on the page.

My '03 had 48K miles on it when it was totalled, the '05 now has close to 90K, so the seat is still comfortable and rocking at about 135K miles. The backrest has been, in my estimation, one of the most worthwhile and indespensable mods that I've ever done and was well worth the exorbitant price.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one on my Russell seat. So far I like it very much.

DSC00040.jpg

I ordered one with my russel seat. Never could get it adjusted to my liking.
Same here, fiddled with it never got it in the right spot. Oh what the heck I'll try again. Good excuse to go for a ride.

Last edited by a moderator: